PDA

View Full Version : Does a 1.8 st legnum have same brakes as vr4 as standard?

johnh
23-10-2005, 08:44 AM
Hi guys,
I have an 1998 st 4wd 1.8 GDI legnum and one of the front calipers have seized. Looking at them, they look to be a single piston type.

I have just seen some vr4 (the year wasnt mentioned) calipers in "good condition " for cheap, probably alot cheaper than what it will cost to fix my seized caliper.

My question is are these going to fit my car, are they the same caliper or a higher performance caliper?

Thanks!!! :thumbsup: :huh:

Nick Mann
23-10-2005, 11:36 AM
Standard VR4 calipers are twin pot. I would imagine that the hub carriers stand a good chance of being able to take them, but you will need to check the mounting hole spacing, as it changed in 1998 on the VR4.

mpau009
23-10-2005, 09:50 PM
Hi guys,
I have an 1998 st 4wd 1.8 GDI legnum and one of the front calipers have seized. Looking at them, they look to be a single piston type.

I have just seen some vr4 (the year wasnt mentioned) calipers in "good condition " for cheap, probably alot cheaper than what it will cost to fix my seized caliper.

My question is are these going to fit my car, are they the same caliper or a higher performance caliper?

Thanks!!! :thumbsup: :huh:

Iv got the STR, and the brakes are different from mine to the vr4. STR actually has the same front rotors as the FTO, but different from the Vr4, cause i had to get them replaced. I think they might be bigger than the GDi's as well. But i don't know if there's anything to stop you swapping the whole set up, or finding a disc that will match. But i think that the difference is part of why the Vr4/STR have 5stud 16" wheels, as opposed to the 1.8's 4 stud 15's? maybe someone else will know.

But if in doubt, my suggestion would be to ring pitstop, or a mitsi parts department, and see what they think, they've helped me out before.

Gly
23-10-2005, 10:12 PM
i had the same prob as you when i got my 25ST

i fitted evo 2 brake disks which are larger and still 4 stud and evo 2 twin pot brake calipers...

its a straight swap....
i have much better stoping power now.

but if yours is a facelift 98 it might be different...
mines a prefacelift 98

Paul Beazer
24-10-2005, 09:16 PM
mpau009 - you've escaped from the arcade!!