PDA

View Full Version : New Bonnet

bradc
24-10-2005, 01:15 AM
I wasn't going to fit this until I had the whole car painted, but I got a little bored today, so I think I'll drive around with the bonnet unpainted for a week or so. That way all of my mates will be hurrying my up to paint the car ;) It does look very good and matches up perfectly on the drivers side, but on the other side it sits up by about 5mm or so. I hope it sorts itself out, if not I'm putting some weights on that side of the bonnet for a while, hopefully it straightens itself out.

I fit the whole thing on in about 45 minutes, not too bad considering I was by myself, I think anyone could do it. Most of that time was trying to figure out how to get it sitting even, before I just gave up. I had the new one on within about 10 minutes of starting to take the old one off.

After I had got it on, I started the car and turned the aircon on to maximum, the ambient was about 24C today, and as you can see, the air coming out of the vent was fairly warm. I found that the temp would get up to about 42C with the fans off, once the fans turned on the temp would drop down to about 38C, then the fans would turn off again. It never got above 44C, even when I slightly pressed on the throttle and revved it up to 2500rpm for a about a minute. The air coming off the fans was being blown straight out the vents, they are positioned perfectly on the bonnet.

marmel31
24-10-2005, 02:04 AM
Looks good, I think the only issue people have had is rain getting in the vents and parts eventually rusting?

bradc
24-10-2005, 02:10 AM
Yeah I've heard that as well. Luckily with these vents water is going to run down into the space between the radiator fans and the engine itself. The only parts that may have water sitting on them are the fan controller heatsink, and the metal guard that sits on top of the front turbo.

At the moment I've got a 10kg bag of chicken feed on the each side of the bonnet, and a metal tube in the middle holding it up slightly, hopefully this will bend it back into the right shape.

ShadyNZer
24-10-2005, 04:50 AM
:thumbsup:

ShadyNZer
24-10-2005, 04:51 AM
looks tight bro...yeah mine didnt sit right oin the front proper, but just fuked wit those lil rubber bits and shibby, sat all good...

You See
24-10-2005, 04:58 AM
Lookin guuuuuud. :thumbsup:

bradc
24-10-2005, 06:38 AM
Yeah it looks good, shady, I have played with the plastic standoff's a bit, and it still isn't sitting quite right. I've had the weights sitting on it for a while now, and it does look a lot better now, it is only about 2 or 3mm too high now.

Uc, what are you doing tomorrow night? I'll pop past your house to show off ;)

bradc
24-10-2005, 06:44 AM
http://www.japaneseperformanceparts.com/mitsubishi-evo-65-side-vent-pairs-p-3694.html?osCsid=5e41bdbe7d5ce35287ce06c283d95541

do you guys think it would look better with these mounted on the bonnet, to replace the single vent on the passenger side with one of these on either side? Note I can get them for about $160 for the pair, which is much better than $225!

johnh
24-10-2005, 06:50 AM
hey, quick question, how mch and where you get it from?

Looks awesome man, cant wait to see it painted :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

bradc
24-10-2005, 07:24 AM
speedfactory, and $750 http://www.speedfactory.co.nz/bodykits/mitsubishi/galant.php

You See
24-10-2005, 07:38 AM
Uc, what are you doing tomorrow night? I'll pop past your house to show off ;)
Yep...sounds good. Anytime before 7ish will be good, otherwise I'll be at the gym. /yes

bradc
24-10-2005, 08:06 AM
cool, I should be there before that, depends on traffic.

ShadyNZer
24-10-2005, 08:08 AM
Yeah it looks good, shady, I have played with the plastic standoff's a bit, and it still isn't sitting quite right. I've had the weights sitting on it for a while now, and it does look a lot better now, it is only about 2 or 3mm too high now.
might have to fuk with the catcher or something, was told to do that at first till i played with the rubber bits :thumbsup:

bradc
24-10-2005, 08:10 AM
The catch didn't fit in at all to start off with, I ended up using about 3mm worth of washers to offset the catch towards the engine bay, just to get it to hook up. It shuts perfectly fine now. It looks even better now, I'm just going to leave the weights on it all night ;)

You See
24-10-2005, 08:20 AM
i played with the rubber bits :thumbsup:
mmmm....bits! ..hehe /whip

i3ooyah
24-10-2005, 09:35 AM
get rid of the catcher and put bonnet bins on, thats what ive done...mine fitted fine its just that the catcher looked ugly

bradc
24-10-2005, 10:46 AM
I'm not too keen on bonnet pins, hopefully it'll be sitting nicely by tomorrow morning.

Quail
24-10-2005, 01:25 PM
Looks really good mate. You can get bonnet pins that are flush with the bonnet, they may be an option to make sure its all stuck down?

bradc
24-10-2005, 07:21 PM
It is definately stuck down, I've tried pulling the bonnet up as hard as I can and it doesn't budge at all. Anyway, I'll find out soon when I drive to work ;)

i3ooyah
24-10-2005, 10:50 PM
your air scoop for the filter is in a good place to...looking good

bradc
25-10-2005, 10:54 AM
I'm not going to use that for the air intake though, I'll pull cold air up from the bumper. I'm thinking of getting that vent bogged up and filled over when I get the bonnet painted, or I might get two of them done, like I linked to earlier in the thread.

hare
26-10-2006, 06:55 AM
hae it been painted Brad?any change to have some photo??
just want to show it in the new web site update soon.

bradc
26-10-2006, 07:17 AM
Sorry Alfred, I haven't had my car since March, it has been getting a full ECU install and all the piping redone. If you click on my car, then click on view bradc's car, you will see all the work. As soon as I get it back I will be getting the side skirts, front bumper, bonnet and maybe a super vr-4 rear wing and evo 5/6 rear wheel arches molded on too. I promise I'll come and see you when I get it all sorted!