PDA

View Full Version : Oil Catch Can

HJM
26-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Can anyone let me know if THIS (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OIL-CATCH-BREATHER-TANK-MITSUBUSHI-3000GT-GTO-RX7-RX8_W0QQitemZ8009855660QQcategoryZ72205QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem) would be suitable for the VR4?

Does anyone have one already? How often do you need to empty them?

Any info would be greatly appreciated /yes

Thanks very much :thumbsup:

Nick Mann
26-10-2005, 01:05 PM
Not sure if anyone has one. They have been discussed and would definitely not hurt. I think BDA might have one?

I don't understand exactly where you plumb them in, so it's difficult for me to say if that one is best or not.

pezza
26-10-2005, 01:12 PM
Not sure if anyone has one. They have been discussed and would definitely not hurt. I think BDA might have one?

I don't understand exactly where you plumb them in, so it's difficult for me to say if that one is best or not.

Think Michaeli has installed one on his car...

There is a VR4 owner who gets his car serviced by mitsu pals who has one too..
he used to get alot of oil/sludge in the dump valve recirc pipe which feeds back into front turbo and main intake... This, they all state, has reduced that alot..

Is there any room left in the engine areaa/bay to install anything else? :rolleyes4

enigma
26-10-2005, 01:23 PM
That would be OK......Mine has been in more than 6 months and has no more than a dribble in the bottom......make you think that it may not be required! However, I think my previous engine suffered from excessive oil passing between the rocker covers and the inlet :(

michaeli
26-10-2005, 02:49 PM
Think Michaeli has installed one on his car...

I installed one, as pezza said... it's just a safe guard really, so if you like giving your engine some high revs occasionally, then install one...

that one looks fine, you can adjust the angle of the pipes to suit the way you install it.... if that makes sense...

i installed mine at the back of the engine near the strut brace and throttle body, there was a bolt there that i used to fix the bracket to....

A worthwhile and safety mod... :thumbsup:

HJM
26-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the info everyone :thumbsup:

bernmc
26-10-2005, 07:36 PM
Make sure you read the guy's feedback - looks like he may be a US seller masquerading as UK...

HJM
26-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Make sure you read the guy's feedback - looks like he may be a US seller masquerading as UK...

Yep, you are right - so have bought a Greddy one instead /yes

Cheers :thumbsup:

Jimbo
27-10-2005, 08:59 AM
That sounds like a good idea Heath - I was thinking this the other day as well.

I'm sure BDA's right about day-to-day, but with all the track days we do and the residue we both get from our dump valves....it's surely got to help /yes

Keep me posted, I'll let you be the guinee pig ;)

HJM
27-10-2005, 06:25 PM

I'm sure BDA's right about day-to-day, but with all the track days we do and the residue we both get from our dump valves....it's surely got to help /yes

It will be fitted in a couple of weeks when the car goes down to AP for a big service, so should get some idea of the difference at Oulton /yes

ghanda
27-10-2005, 06:49 PM
Mine's being fitted on Saturday - very similar to the top one. Bought from a company in Australia, sent from Malaysia, made in Japan (!). Only took 3 days to arrive!

HJM
27-10-2005, 07:10 PM
Bought from a company in Australia, sent from Malaysia, made in Japan (!). Only took 3 days to arrive!

LOL - the one I have ordered is coming from the UK - I bet it takes more than three days to get here :rolleyes4

HJM
27-10-2005, 07:51 PM

I reckon you are only getting one so you can keep your roof pollutant free as possible for your little trackday friends /yes

Can't remember if it was someone from the Eastern Mini Meet or the 'Usual Suspects' on saturday night but they reckoned because the snail was moving forward on your roof whilst on track that the snail was officially faster than you /yes :rolleyes4 /grr

psbarham
27-10-2005, 08:13 PM
Can't remember if it was someone from the Eastern Mini Meet or the 'Usual Suspects' on saturday night but they reckoned because the snail was moving forward on your roof whilst on track that the snail was officially faster than you /yes :rolleyes4 /grr
it was andy in the pub on sat , sorry jim but bugger we did laugh about it . que the childish chant .. jimbos slower than a snail , jimbos slower than a snail ..........

Jimbo
29-10-2005, 11:40 AM
Ah, so it was Andy then was it?

Righto.....thanks for that info :evil2:

ghanda
29-10-2005, 12:22 PM
Just fitted - 10 minute job to fit, probably a 3 hour job to make look pretty :)
Will post pics later.

zentac
29-10-2005, 12:34 PM
Those catch cans are designed for straight engines, not V's you really need one with 3 pipe attachments 2in (one from each head) and one out for overflow. Ive hammered mine on trackdays and have found the catch can full.

pezza
07-12-2005, 06:42 PM
well HJM, Ghanda?? :inquisiti Where's the pix of your handiwork? :inquisiti

After a few days of *drving enthusiastically* :embarasse I went to swap over my BOV for the recirc and there was a fair bit of oil residue there.. I think the collection of oil is the thing which eventually weakend and killed the plastic recirc pipe that leads from BOV (that was very oily) to the front turbo/air intake...

HJM
07-12-2005, 06:47 PM
well HJM, Ghanda?? :inquisiti Where's the pix of your handiwork? :inquisiti

Ours isn't fitted yet :embarasse

pezza
07-12-2005, 06:50 PM
Ours isn't fitted yet :embarasse

Whaaaat???? :inquisiti And they look so smart too! Does yours have 2 input feeds??

Nick Mann
07-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Those catch cans are designed for straight engines, not V's you really need one with 3 pipe attachments 2in (one from each head) and one out for overflow. Ive hammered mine on trackdays and have found the catch can full.

Doesn't the breather go from the front bank to the rear and then from the rear to the inlet piping just where it splits for the turbos? So only one inlet for the catch can would be needed? Or am I talking out my ar$e again?! :rolleyes4

HJM
07-12-2005, 06:52 PM
Whaaaat???? :inquisiti And they look so smart too! Does yours have 2 input feeds??

Yep, it does - it will be fitted but probably not till January :rolleyes4

HJM
07-12-2005, 07:07 PM
Bought a proper Greddy one in the end (rectangular type) - if you are really desperate to see it (uninstalled !), I dare say I could persuade Mrs Bailey to photograph and post it up /Hmmm

H

pezza
07-12-2005, 07:07 PM
Doesn't the breather go from the front bank to the rear and then from the rear to the inlet piping just where it splits for the turbos? So only one inlet for the catch can would be needed? Or am I talking out my ar$e again?! :rolleyes4

Nick you need one geeza :-) esp with all that *raw* power :thumbsup:

There are two separate pipes from each header.. Although you can join to both feed into the can...Its another nice shiny object under the bonnet if installed in a good place :D But does do the job.

pezza
07-12-2005, 07:08 PM
Bought a proper Greddy one in the end (rectangular type) - if you are really desperate to see it (uninstalled !), I dare say I could persuade Mrs Bailey to photograph and post it up /Hmmm

H

Go on then :D

HJM
07-12-2005, 07:12 PM
Blimey that was quick - I'll go badger the wife (ooh aah missus !)

HJM
07-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Go on then :D

Your wish is my command :rolleyes4

Kieran
08-12-2005, 01:48 AM

That twice? Richard, is this right? If it isn't and you do need a twin-inlet one, where can you get it from?:inquisiti :inquisiti

pezza
08-12-2005, 03:27 AM
Soooperb HJM superb! :thumbsup:

Thanks /yes

Kieran yes u can get twin inlet ones.. but you can join both header pipes to feed into single inlet ones too i think :inquisiti Bonsai has done this...

Maybe ghanda has a twin inlet one?

HJM
08-12-2005, 07:59 AM
That's the reason the garage couldn't fit it because they didn't have a suitable 'Y' connector - will be sorted out in January when we next go down to AP in Plymouth :thumbsup:

pezza
08-12-2005, 10:36 AM
That's the reason the garage couldn't fit it because they didn't have a suitable 'Y' connector - will be sorted out in January when we next go down to AP in Plymouth :thumbsup:

OK....I think there are twin inlet versions about..

As I am being lazy and cant remember do you know if the feeder pipes are 9mm or 15mm I may order a similar device?

/EDIT Ok its 15mm just found :D

vampirej
08-12-2005, 12:12 PM
That looks COOL!!!!! and I'm sure it also does the job as well... hmmmm... added that to my shopping list... heehee

enigma
08-12-2005, 12:21 PM
A single inlet is fine, and there is no need for a y piece as what Nick said is correct. The front and rear covers have a pipe between them and then the rear has a pipe that connects back to before the turbos. One pipe, one inlet - jobs a good 'un! Although after many months of having one fitted I would be happy to drink the contents!

HJM
08-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Don't care about whys and wherefores - I'll trust the experts to sort my catch pot and happily pay accordingly :thumbsup:

Kieran
08-12-2005, 01:54 PM
Don't care about whys and wherefores - I'll trust the experts to sort my catch pot and happily pay accordingly :thumbsup:

Bah! Where's your sense of adventure?

HJM
08-12-2005, 01:58 PM
Bah! Where's your sense of adventure?

You seriously think fitting an oil catch can is an adventure :inquisiti

You need to get out more /yes

J

Simon
08-12-2005, 02:01 PM
Thats identical to the one i bought!, copy cat! /pan :thumbsup: I sold mine to Graham so have a word with him whenever you see him next, he could even install it for you, 10 minute job! His is attached to the strut brace, looks the business............................

..............................if you find the catch tank filling up too quickly then install a plastic 2 litre ice cream tub and fill it with metal scouring pads!!!! /pan /pan /pan /Hmmm

/help :thumbsup:

enigma
08-12-2005, 02:08 PM

OK, I will fit it for £100!

pezza
08-12-2005, 02:22 PM
Thats identical to the one i bought!, copy cat! /pan :thumbsup: I sold mine to Graham so have a word with him whenever you see him next, he could even install it for you, 10 minute job! His is attached to the strut brace, looks the business............................
:thumbsup:

Indeed he has done a grand job! It does look the bizz :thumbsup:

oh.. 1000th post :D :thumbsup: