PDA

View Full Version : A little TLC...

I-S
26-10-2005, 07:31 PM
Today I rather expensively acquired a few things to keep the car happy. Tomorrow it gets new front tyres.

Today:

EBC Greenstuff front pads (I won a competition. My Black Diamond Predators are only a few months old, so it will be a while before these go on the car)
Bosch wiper blades
Glass Cleaner
Glass Polish
Rain-X
Orbital Polisher - the car is looking dreadfully dowdy at the moment. It needs a good wash, polish and gloss.
+ve battery terminal - already replaced the -ve to good effect, but still occasionally seems to have issues... maybe it's a crap battery (only a year old).

Also looked into a few planned bits and bobs...

Paul Beazer
26-10-2005, 09:52 PM
Rain X? I've seen it, but was dubious to its claims. What does it actually do and does it work??

Kenneth
26-10-2005, 10:37 PM
Rain X? I've seen it, but was dubious to its claims. What does it actually do and does it work??

If its the product I am thinking about, then yes it does work. I am thinking of the product you put on your windscreen. basically stops you having poor visibility in rain. if you are doing any reasonable speed (ie 30+ mph) you can usually not worry about wipers.

Now that said, I find I get the same performance out of using a wax polish on my windscreen.

I-S
26-10-2005, 10:50 PM
It simply changes the surface tension of the windscreen so that the water beads like it does on paintwork after you've waxed it. Works well for other glass that isn't wiped (eg front windows, door mirrors)

I-S
27-10-2005, 07:17 PM
Well, the car got washed and dried and then glass cleaned and polished and rain-xed and the interior glass cleaned. Tyres didn't turn up, so they'll be on next week now. New front wipers too.

jakester
27-10-2005, 08:17 PM
I lived in the US for several years, and, had a friend who could get me the aviation grade rainx, I use to put it on the car and truck once a year, and never used the wipers even in the heaviest downpours, I love the stuff :)

psbarham
27-10-2005, 08:36 PM
i used to use rain x on the lorry and bugger it was good , never neede the wipers even when following another lorry in a downpour :thumbsup:

I-S
28-10-2005, 08:25 AM
It was raining on the way into work this morning.... Wow. Rain-X is amazing...

I-S
01-11-2005, 07:28 PM
Got new tyres on the front this afternoon. New headlamp will go in probably at the weekend. If it's dry then I'll wash the car again and then give it a really good polishing and gloss.