PDA

View Full Version : Water Temp Sensor

Nick Mann
26-10-2005, 08:36 PM
Errrrmmmm........

At some point over the last couple of days I have managed to lose the temperature reading on the dash. I am relatively sure that this is because I have disconnected something and forgotten to reconnect it when putting it back together.

Anyone know where the water temperature sensor is?! :embarasse

psbarham
26-10-2005, 08:38 PM
i'm fairly certain its in the thermostat housing on the right of the engine looking from the front of the car :thumbsup:

Nick Mann
26-10-2005, 08:52 PM
Okay. Ta! I'll have a look and see if I've disturbed anything there. Maybe knocked it taking the manifold or rocker cover off.

-LegnumVR4-
27-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Follow the top radiator hose down to the engine, u will see a large plug (Water temp sensor) behind this is a smaller thin/spade type plug, this is the water temp guage sender which gives u the reading on the dash. U have most likely pulled it out or pulled the wire out of the plug like i did when fix something else :)

psbarham
27-10-2005, 08:02 PM
did you try it? and did it work ?

Nick Mann
27-10-2005, 08:13 PM
I think I found the sensor. Pretty much where both of you said. But it seems to be plugged in properly. Back to square one.

psbarham
27-10-2005, 08:15 PM
is it single wire or twin wire ?

Nick Mann
27-10-2005, 08:18 PM
Err... My memory is not tremendous! I think it was twin.

psbarham
27-10-2005, 08:34 PM
now by rights you should be able to link the two wires together with a short bit of wire to get the gauge to read full temp , but do this at your own risk as i don't have a wiring diagram for these things handy :embarasse

Nick Mann
27-10-2005, 08:45 PM
now by rights you should be able to link the two wires together with a short bit of wire to get the gauge to read full temp , but do this at your own risk as i don't have a wiring diagram for these things handy :embarasse

This bothers me as the car knows there is a problem with the sensor. I think the signal must go through an ECU first.

psbarham
27-10-2005, 08:48 PM
there is a test for the sender in the service pdf 's in the members section , its under the chassis electrical page 27 :thumbsup:

Nick Mann
27-10-2005, 08:50 PM
I say, well found, that man!!

psbarham
27-10-2005, 08:50 PM
and a page or 2 lower down is a test for the speed sensor , might shed some light on your other problem

zedy1
27-10-2005, 10:17 PM
its a single wire plug, just earth the plug and your needle should go up

Nick Mann
28-10-2005, 02:02 PM
Okay! Thanks to PSB and Mo!

I found the plug after looking at the diagram and removing some assorted air hoses. I earthed the plug and got nowt. It appears that the wire had been cut and shut at some point in time and had been done rather badly. A new spade connector crimped to the end of the wire, and Roberts my Mothers Brother!

Ta muchly boys and girls!

And PSB, your pointer to the pdf pages, followed by the water temp broken wire thing allowed me to sort the speedo too!

Fan-bluddy-tastic!

psbarham
28-10-2005, 03:27 PM
Okay! Thanks to PSB and Mo!

I found the plug after looking at the diagram and removing some assorted air hoses. I earthed the plug and got nowt. It appears that the wire had been cut and shut at some point in time and had been done rather badly. A new spade connector crimped to the end of the wire, and Roberts my Mothers Brother!

Ta muchly boys and girls!

And PSB, your pointer to the pdf pages, followed by the water temp broken wire thing allowed me to sort the speedo too!

Fan-bluddy-tastic!
excellent, see i do have my uses :rolleyes4 now for my next trick i will restore 'the baby eating bishop of bath and wells ' to a fully running legnum /help