PDA

View Full Version : E84A Suspension Setting

kitefighter
26-10-2005, 09:40 PM
Dear All,

MyVR-4, model E84A, 1992, has a factory fitted two way adjustable suspension, operated by a switch in the cabin.

There are two suspension settings. "Tour" and "Sport".

When I depress the switch to set to "Sport" I can hear something happening to the shocks (like a faint clunk).

Two questions.

1. What does the switch do to the suspension (I'm assuming it's the shocks that are two way adjustable)?

2. Does it really make a difference in handling?

Kind regards, kitefighter.

to4garret
27-10-2005, 03:05 AM
on the top of each damper is a stepper motor, when you press the button for sport/tour the stepper motor rotates a pre-set amount.

this rotation causes a shaft in the damper to turn, which turns a relief valve inside the damper.

normally when tour is selected the valve in the damper is open, when sport is selected the valve is shut.

when the valve is open the force needed to move the damper up/down is much less due to there been less resistance, making the drive of the car more soft.

when the valve is closed the forced needed to move the damper up/down is much greater due to there been much more resistance, making the drive harder, more responsive.

now is saying that, the factory dampers are normally fudged by about 100,000kms so you might not noticed any difference between the settings.

hope that helps.

Regards,
Craig.

kitefighter
31-10-2005, 02:12 AM
Thank you Craig.

I don't notice much difference at slow speeds but I think that there is a difference when cornering at higher speeds. I feel more confident. That said, I haven't driven anywhere near the limits...

How do you come to know all of this?

Kind regards, Humayun.

to4garret
31-10-2005, 02:19 AM
i know a bit how the factory system works, because i removed it from my car.

The factory original shocks were stuffed in my car, so i replaced them with non-adjustible uprated ones. the factory replacements are not worth the money IMHO.

pimp
24-06-2007, 11:52 PM
i know a bit how the factory system works, because i removed it from my car.

The factory original shocks were stuffed in my car, so i replaced them with non-adjustible uprated ones. the factory replacements are not worth the money IMHO.

I AM TRYING TO REPLACE MY FACTORY SHOCKS BUT I DON'T KNOW WHICH BRAND SHOULD I USED. WHAT DO YOU RECONMEND

Goku
25-06-2007, 05:13 AM
Tein, KYB what ever you want.... what are you lookin for in suspension ?

Kitefighter: Just leave it on the sport setting, or replace them with aftermarket adjustables.. mine felt far too soft on the touring setting, like a whale :/

pimp
02-07-2007, 02:54 AM
Tein, KYB what ever you want.... what are you lookin for in suspension ?

Kitefighter: Just leave it on the sport setting, or replace them with aftermarket adjustables.. mine felt far too soft on the touring setting, like a whale :/

do you know the part number for any adjustable suspension or shock absorber that i can used

Goku
02-07-2007, 03:23 AM
Anything for a legnum VR-4 can be used, thats what mine are from....