PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil at discount?

amsoil
27-10-2005, 01:07 AM
/Hmmm Hi, I was under the impression that VR4 owners club members benifited from a 10% discount on AMSOIL products but i can't find anything about it here?

marmel31
27-10-2005, 02:28 AM
You can't find it because the details are in the members section so get out your wallet and pay your membership fee and all will be revealed.

I-S
27-10-2005, 08:12 AM
As marmel said, only members can benefit from member's discounts.

Nick Mann
27-10-2005, 09:32 AM
/Hmmm Hi, I was under the impression that VR4 owners club members benifited from a 10% discount on AMSOIL products but i can't find anything about it here?

Are you an Amsoil person or did you just choose that user name because you wanted to ask?

amsoil
27-10-2005, 06:45 PM
Hi, yes I'm the sole UK importers Amsoil Performance Oils. My partner Chas had told me that he had offered club members a 10% discount but on finding your site and looking/searching I couldn't find anything!? After registering and putting my question I did a search and I found what I was looking for. :thumbsup:
So there you have it http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/ and
10% off to club members on all our amsoil products. + free post on orders over £100.
The best oil bar none and the site has the test results to prove it. Just depends if you want the best or less with one of the rest!
Any questions or problems feel free to contact us
0208 737 0649
mob 07949 944523
greenlynx@blueyonder.co.uk

Regards Don
Performance Oils Ltd

ghanda
27-10-2005, 06:51 PM
Just to add -

When I ordered my oils and lubes, it came to £185 after discount with free delivery and all the boxes turned up within 48 hours - so a massive thumbs up from me.

I-S
27-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Don - thanks for letting us know! I was the one who initially set up the deal with Chas, and your details were given to me by Anthony Matthews who is a great salesman for your products! I've certainly been very happy indeed with my Amsoil ATF, and am considering going to your engine oil, even for my humble 2 litre...

amsoil
27-10-2005, 10:33 PM
Thank you to GHANDA & Isaac Sibson for your words, yes we do try quite hard. I only got into Amsoil when I discovered it was the difference between 'life & death' for the gearbox on my old racing Jag. I now find that this secret was well known to all CAN AM racers for the last 20 years!
I have run my Le Mans car on the stuff for 3 years without an oil change (which may sound barking) but do an oil analysis test after every other race. I know the oil remains within spec and that the engine is sound with no developing problems. It must have saved me a fortune having the best.
This stuff is stunning; the Big oil companies can talk the talk but they can't walk the walk; we have a customer who has done comming upto 125,000 without an oil change. You do the figures; if he changed the oil every 10k then he must have saved himself half a grand + if it was only 4.5k or 6k who knows; and he is still going strong with nothing wrong. Then you might get a couple of more miles to the gallon with a little more power because the stonger oil is thinner and sliperier. To me its a 'No Brainer'. All is well as the Independant Oil Analysis kits have proved.
Amsoils latest severe gear and diff oil is now good for upto 500,000 miles (that is the correct number of zeros).
But best I stop here as although I do believe in the product, which might be just a little obvious, this is getting the appearance of a sales pitch which wasn't what it was about in the first instance.
Don

I-S
27-10-2005, 11:18 PM
Since you're here...

The manual for my car (a plain vanilla 2.0) suggets 10W40 as the appropriate oil for the temperatures encountered in the UK. Would I be better off with AMO 10W40 or AFL 5W40 (despite the japanese rather than european origin of the car?). Would the 5W40 give better cold start performance?

bernmc
27-10-2005, 11:44 PM
Spoke to Chas today and ordered my 10l of ATF for the discounted price. Very pleasant to deal with.

It would be nice to have a discount code (posted in our members section) that we could enter on your website to order online.

BTW, Members who are thinking of ordering, performance oils accept a direct bank transfer as well as cheques, so it should speed things up a bit.

amsoil
28-10-2005, 12:03 AM
Quite simple really, you’re just about right with what you say.
The 5w-40 is a new AMSOIL oil formula and I am unaware as yet of it being put back to back with other manufactures oil, having said that from the spec it will easily whip the competitors and may actually be superior to the AMO but please don't hold me to that one.
If your engine was newish or for track / strip I would go for the TSO 0w-30. You would get more power out of the engine because the oil was thinner and the oil pump has an easier time / consumes less power and being thinner the oil gives less drag on the reciprocating crank and rods. This is what Amsoil call a S2000 oil, its tuff and is their ultimate oil spec. It’s not necessary in 'normal' engines and I wouldn't recommend it in an old engine. In a turbo or race engine it can give that extra margin.
Hope this helps
Regards Don

amsoil
28-10-2005, 12:19 AM
Hi Bernard, Your oil is ready to go. Thank you for the order. If you could PM me with a contact phone number that would be good.
We can set up a discount code for the club on the web site but there are just a couple of probelms. You wouldn't have got such a good price! if you have a calculator you will see what I mean. The other problem is that the 5w-40 being so new hasn't been made in 5 litres as yet and so when we get such an order we have to explain the situatiuon and offer to supply 5 quarts at the 5 Litre price, or what we guestimate the 5 litre price will be. The computors just can't handle this. We are also putting things like the oil test kits on the web in the next few days; We can't give a discount on these as we only keep and stock them as a service to our customers (Just imagine the likes of Halfords or a car main agent being able to say that one!) and again the computor program wouldn't be able to differentiate here.
So really we would love to but.....
Hope this explains
Regards Don

Nick Mann
28-10-2005, 08:28 AM
I could be wrong, but I think Bern means that if we put a code in the members area, then you can be sure that it is a member asking for the discount when we phone you and give you the code?

amsoil
28-10-2005, 03:41 PM
Sounds sensible enough to me

bernmc
28-10-2005, 06:56 PM
I could be wrong, but I think Bern means that if we put a code in the members area, then you can be sure that it is a member asking for the discount when we phone you and give you the code?
Na - I was talking about a code for the website, but I cna see the difficulties. Anyway, it's a small inconvenience to have to resort to the olde telphonics ;) to get the kind of prices that we're getting!

Just about to pm my telephone number, Don. Transferred the money yesterday on the wild world waiting web, so it should be in your account as soon as the banks are done getting their 0.7p worth of interest from it while it's in electronic limbo! Just zooting off to the website - I might have some engine oil for my VR4 too...

bernmc
26-11-2005, 10:46 AM
I've now had amsoil in my gearbox, and the 0W/30 stuff in my engine for about 1000 miles. There is a definite improvement in shift quality as far as gear changes are concerned. I've asked Don to find out if the ATF can be analysed so I can see how often it really needs to be changed - still waiting for a reply.

I've got a test kit for the engine oil though, so after the std 4500 miles, I'll send a sample off to the lab, and see how the oil has held up... I'll post result here.

WildCards
26-11-2005, 11:23 AM
I've now had amsoil in my gearbox, and the 0W/30 stuff in my engine for about 1000 miles. There is a definite improvement in shift quality as far as gear changes are concerned. I've asked Don to find out if the ATF can be analysed so I can see how often it really needs to be changed - still waiting for a reply.

I've got a test kit for the engine oil though, so after the std 4500 miles, I'll send a sample off to the lab, and see how the oil has held up... I'll post result here.

Sounds all very CSI to me, but glad someone can do it. All good info. :thumbsup:

amsoil
26-11-2005, 12:47 PM
I've asked Don to find out if the ATF can be analysed so I can see how often it really needs to be changed - still waiting for a reply.

Sorry must have missed that bit about the ATF; I'm pretty sure the same Lab can do the test but will phone them on Monday just to check, and of course let you know.
As far as the ATF's life is concerned, this is a seriously stunning product and I would wonder if its even worth checking at 4.5k. Now 45K would be interesting!
I'm not just saying this and quite possibly the data from say 10K, 20K etc would be of value for members; I would also like to sell you more ATF but you have bought the best and it will last the course. (which IMHO makes it really cheap) and considering the agg you chaps seem to have with all this flushing business, a no brainer. :scholar:

So I promise to get back to you in a couple of days about ATF testing.

I-S
26-11-2005, 02:24 PM
The VR4 is an interesting case here Don. You don't have access to the article in the member's area, but one of the "issues" of the VR4 is that the ATF cooler is underspecified for the performance capabilities of the car.

I think that's also the case even in my humble 2.0 FWD galant, because when I changed over to Amsoil I noticed that the engine temp gauge now sits lower (the ATF cooler is built into the bottom of the radiator and the ATF runs much hotter than the engine coolant. With the transmission running cooler with the Amsoil ATF, the radiator runs cooler).

Certainly it's well known that the ATF regularly turns brown or even black in some cases well within mitsubishi's specified service interval. I'm keeping an eye on mine but it's only 3000 miles old so far. So, the VR4 works the ATF harder than most cars.

Kieran
26-11-2005, 03:59 PM
There's some discussion about the VR-4's gearbox and how it flame-grills it's fluid here. You should be able to see this as a non-member:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10430&highlight=proof

amsoil
26-11-2005, 04:06 PM
I shall watch with interest; perhaps setting my sights a little lower given the circumstances! Wondered if people fit separate/ remote oil coolers at all? One things for certain brown fluid needs changing and black is a major problem like change the tranny or the car and quick.

I-S
26-11-2005, 05:58 PM
Part of the problem is the stunning dealers. I paid one about £100 to change the fluid and filter in the gearbox. They said they did but the fluid was brownish red, like Kieran's was. The fact that they charged me for 5 litres of fluid when the system takes at least 8 litres also suggested that they hadn't flushed out the cooler and torque converter, thus mixing old and new fluid 50/50.

So it's a combination of a car hard on the ATF and a dealer network that can't figure out how to change the ATF properly....

amsoil
28-11-2005, 09:21 PM
Phoned up the lab at 5pm today in the forelone hope that someone would answer and left a message on their answer machine about analysis of ATF. Much to my suprise they phoned back at 5.30 and said not a problem but do make it very clear that the sample is of ATF AUTOMATIC TRANSMITION FLUID (sorry but some of the staff might not know what ATF stands for) So gentlemen the answer is that yes the Lab will analyse ATF without a problem. The next stage is upto you chaps; oh and the £15 all in for the analysis kit was including postage to you so if ordered with oil its £13.50 , so its just got to be worth considering.

bernmc
29-11-2005, 11:35 AM
I'll get another kit from you when I'm coming up to my next 4500mile service, Don (about three months time). Then I can send off both oil and ATF at the same time.