PDA

View Full Version : Does the TT vr4 have the same hp increase issues as the TT legacy?

Khabel
29-10-2005, 11:05 AM
The amount of performance modifications that is able to be done to the twin turbo Subaru legacy is pretty limited without blowing something up, does the twin turbo vr4 encounter these same problems?

ghanda
29-10-2005, 12:26 PM
Not really.
I had the Legacy GT previously.
The main issue with the Subaru is that it's a sequential turbo - one small one to reduce lag , then a larger one takes over. Unfortunately, this take over happens at about 70-75mph, resulting in the notorious 'Valley of death'.
The issue is the small turbo - it really is 'too' small. You can de-cat the second turbo, but no the primary as this will cause over-spooling.
The only real cost-effective option is a manual boost contoller on the second Turbo and play with the fuelling to get the second turbo to come in a little earlier.

There really is no comparision between the two - the VR really is in a different league.

Axeboy
29-10-2005, 06:49 PM
Have to agree with Ghanda...

My m8 had one of the legacy twin turbos, and the lag between the two was pretty bad.

He now owns my old vr4 and loves it...

bradc
29-10-2005, 09:37 PM
My story is almost the same as Axeboy, my friend had always been a Subaru person, and had a 1999 Legacy Twin Turbo, he was happy with it until I went for a drive with him one day, and told him his car was a heap of crap compared to my VR-4 ;) He had spent a lot of money on it, front mount intercooler, ecu, complete exhaust system, and to me it felt completely gutless at low revs, then there was the hole that occurs between the twin turbos, then a reasonable amount of power at high revs.

He didn't beleive me that my VR-4 was better, so he jumped in my car one day, and the first time I floored it, he was convinced to sell the Subaru ;)

In saying that though, our cars still have a bit of an issue breaking 350hp with all the usual mods. Anything above about 350hp, and you'll need to spend some serious money.