PDA

View Full Version : Fog lights & fuel gauge...

vampirej
31-10-2005, 10:09 PM
Hi all,

A few questions...
I have a facelift legum and as you are aware, there are 2 fog lights at the front, I have noticed that sometimes when I stopped at traffic lights for instance, and I looked at the reflection from the shop windows (as you would), the outside ones would be switched on... but when I stopped the car and got out, the lights would be turned off...... :inquisiti Is it me or is this Halloween?? However, If I switch one the fog lights, only the ones on the inside would be on and with blueish colour... Normal?
Another one is fuel gauge... I gathered that the tank is about 65 litres... so with the recent prices, it should take about £55 at least to fill up a tank, but whenever I filled up, with a quarter left showing, it only costs me £35 or ~36 - 40 litres... and that you seem like you'd lose about a quarter whenever you come out of a R/A and 5 mins later, that quarter would come back... Spooky??
Lastly, but not least... where the heck is the switch to turn off overdrive??

Thanks,

Jon

Kenneth
31-10-2005, 10:17 PM
The 2 fog lights: The inner bulbs are driving lights, the outer are TURNING lights and will come on when you have the indicator on. (In the VR-4 this is the case anyway)

The fuel gauge is noturiously inaccurate. Use the trip meter to get some idea of how much fuel you have/mileage. you will eventually work out around about how much gas you have on the fuel gauge.

There is no switch to turn off ovedrive. if you dont want overdrive, put the car in sequential mode and hold it in the gear you want.
The auto gearbox uses fuzzy logic to work out how you drive, if you drive agressively it will evenutall shift agressivly.

Hope this helps.

vampirej
31-10-2005, 10:21 PM
That's great!!! It makes sense now... didn't realise that turning lights... LOL
I have so far managed about 180 miles before a visit to the patrol station and £35 lighter... was expecting more, as each time the needle would show a quarter left on the tank...
I was told there's a switch to turn off overdrive, and noticed ODO on the trip meter, so thought there might have been a switch and somehow someone took it away... I'm happy with what it is at the mo... Thanks for your help.

Nick Mann
31-10-2005, 10:28 PM
The FWD cars have a 64 litre tank. I am lead to believe that the 4WD cars have a 60 litre tank - you lose a bit where the prop shaft goes through. See if you can get the fuel light to come on - should come on when you have used about 50 ltrs. Some people haven't had the balls to empty the tank that far yet!! 180 miles and only £35? You either have a VERY cheap source of fuel or you aren't a real driver!! /Steeringw

Turning lights as mentioned. Come on when you have lights (inc side lights) on and you indicate. Fantastic on dark country roads with t-junctions, but otherwise a bit over the top!

Overdrive?!?!?! :rolleyes4

vampirej
31-10-2005, 10:32 PM
I don't think I would have the balls to go that far... I'm just going to keep filling up when it has about a quarter... LOL
That's what I like about JDM cars... they have all these little "features" which had to be requested and paid for even with the so called "executive" brands! (folding mirrors and the turning lights...) heehee

ghanda
31-10-2005, 10:46 PM
"ODO" means Odometer - as in miles: press the button and you get ODO A, ODO B and then the actual mileage.
I use "A" for each tank (almost 200 miles, 45-50 litres), and "B" to measure between oil changes.
As I retro-fitted a facelift bumper, so consequently have to change the connectors, I'll be doing something a little different with my cornering lights...;)

vampirej
31-10-2005, 10:53 PM
"ODO" means Odometer )
Oops... didn't realise that... heehee
/pan

V6Sport
31-10-2005, 11:32 PM
am i being thick or what :embarasse . whats wrong with filling the car up when the fuel indicator is on? i occasionally do another 10-20miles before filling up when the fuel light is on.

HJM
31-10-2005, 11:39 PM
i occasionally do another 10-20miles before filling up when the fuel light is on.

Oh, me too, especially if I know H is going to be driving it next :d

Kieran
31-10-2005, 11:42 PM
am i being thick or what :embarasse . whats wrong with filling the car up when the fuel indicator is on? i occasionally do another 10-20miles before filling up when the fuel light is on.

Nowadays, probably nothing wrong at all, other than the risk of sucking up some air if you run it REALLY low....

The old 'Logic' used to be that if you run it dry, the pick-up in the tank will suck up all the crap swirling around in the bottom. With the quality of today's petrol and the fact that even the pick-ups are protected by a Gauze cage, I think this can be ignored... :rolleyes4

richy rich
01-11-2005, 09:54 AM
Nowadays, probably nothing wrong at all, other than the risk of sucking up some air if you run it REALLY low....

The old 'Logic' used to be that if you run it dry, the pick-up in the tank will suck up all the crap swirling around in the bottom. With the quality of today's petrol and the fact that even the pick-ups are protected by a Gauze cage, I think this can be ignored... :rolleyes4

i know what you are saying k but may be I'm just old fashioned but as soon as mine gets to 1/4-1/8 i fill it up and my logic is if you have that much petrol in the tank you will not run out.

bradc
01-11-2005, 10:09 AM
I find that with the gauge at 1/2 tank it is about 25 litres to fill the car, and at the 1/4 mark, it is about 40 litres. I drove it once for 640km between filling and got 53 (I think, somewhere around there) litres into the tank at once, the fuel light had been on for about 60km!

Quail
01-11-2005, 07:42 PM
Just a warning about running with v.low fuel; obviously 1.4 tank is fine, but dont drive hard/race with a near empty tank! On another of the forums I use someone raced with a near emtpy tank, ran very lean, and basically ruined his engine!!! Not sure about the details, but sucking in the tiny bit of air on a turbo engine can really mess you up!

konman
02-11-2005, 03:16 AM
i ran mine for four days with the light on, covers about 40 kay. i was getting pretty nurvour by the fourth day, but still onll managed to pump about 48 to 50 litres into it, weird man.

dickytim
02-11-2005, 06:06 AM
I have got 50 odd km out of it quite often once the light is on.