PDA

View Full Version : Datalogers

valmes
02-11-2005, 02:24 PM
Had to bring it back...

Has anybody had success with OBDII dataloggers?
Which ones did you try?
What part didn't work?

Pocket LOGGER OBDII (Digital Tuning, US) (http://www.pocketlogger.com/)
The OBD Bluetooth Transmitter (Vital Engineering, UK) (http://www.vitalengineering.co.uk/)

95/96 3S cars (GTO/3000GT/Stealth) have "hybrid" ECUs that appear to look like OBDII, but can't be accessed by OBDII readers... maybe we have something similar? If that's the case there might be a solution: Hybrid Dataloggers (Mirage Computers, US) (https://www.miragecorp.com/automotive/products/hybridcables.html)

zentac
02-11-2005, 04:34 PM
Im guessing that they are the same as the FTO, as the ECU`s pinouts are almost identical., and we havn`t found one that will read them yet and people are trying to write thier own but cant work out what data rate/parity its using.

valmes
09-11-2005, 11:41 AM
Hmmm... trying to answer my own questions... :)
Will update soon... ;)

valmes
10-11-2005, 03:51 AM
In short: Hybrid Dataloggers - work on VR-4 (link in the first post)...
... and probably on FTO too ( I think FTO owners can get in touch with Chris to find this out...).

PS: Just a warning! :) Cause I didn't get this datalogger yet to prove its compatible 100%!
You can read all the e-mails in the next post and make your own decision...

valmes
10-11-2005, 03:54 AM
Hi
I was wondering if your "hybrid" dataloggers can work on other Mitsubishi cars... Galant/Legnums VR-4 and FTOs (1996-2002 2,5 V6 twin turbo engines( 6a13), Karman MAS.)?
We also seem to have an OBDII connector that can only be accessed by MUT devices. OBDII loggers don't work with our cars, neither do OBDI of course... made me wonder if Mitsubishi was using same "protocol" (sorry I am not too electronically inclined ) for our vehicles and 95/96 3S cars?

Is there a simple way to check for compatibility with your logger?
Thanx.
Val

Are these US cars or EU based cars? It sounds like they are EU. I have a
guy that is sending me an ECU for the FTO so I can work on it, but
it looks like they do not have OBDII standards over there even on 99 vr4's.
It looks like they used the 94/95 ECU's on those cars.
I have a MUT-II here that I could test out, where are you located.
Do you know anyone near you that has a MUT-II? I would be looking to find out
what cartridge they need and what cable they need to connect. I think I have
the right cable, but I'm not sure if my cartridge would work.

Thanks,
Chris Dooley
Mirage Computers, Inc.

Hi Chris,
Those are JDM cars. They were all imported either to UK, NZ or any other
place. My car is in Russia.
The connector looks like its OBDII, but PocketLogger(OBDII vers.) and other OBDII readers don't seem to be able to read anything from it.

I am from Russia and yes I'll try to find out what cartridge they use on their MUTT device (I think its MUTT3... but not sure). Will do that on Monday, my car is in for an engine swap at the local Mitsubishi dealership, so I think I will take a look at their equipment and have a chat with some tech people there... may be even take some photos .

Thanks for looking into this.
Val

Sweet. I know the MUT-III will connect to it as well, but see if you can find out what cartridge and cable (part no is on the cable like 1050) they use for the MUT-II. The MUT-III didn't come out until like 2002, so the MUT-II can connect to all cars up to then anyway, the III is just a replacement for the II. I only have the mut-II here, because the III was too expensive.

Thanks,
Chris Dooley
Mirage Computers, Inc.

Hi Chris!

Did get some numbers off the MUTII cartridge and cable. Had to take pictures fast... and figure out the numbers later ... so in case you feel like there is a mistake, I attached couple of "cut outs" from 3 photos I made (may be you can figure them out). Well, anyway, I will have another chance in a week or so... until then, here we go:

Front of the cartridge:
Part number: MB991710
Model number: X005T76371
Upper white box: 8828
Lower grey: 8J _ _ 042 ( Looks like 8J 40 042...)
Back of the cartridge: MRP-J(8M)
Cable: MB991497 > X005T72471

Let me know if this info is of any help...
Thanks.
Val.

Thanks, that is exactly what I needed. I think I have a different cartridge, but I can see what I can do about getting a different one.
Do you know what it can see on your ecu's? Like what parameters etc?
Any useful information? Knock?

Thanks,
Chris Dooley
Mirage Computers, Inc.

I think it can see knock only in form of error codes - not in real time. All other stuff pretty much the same as for any other car... timing, injectors duty/duration, MAF Hz value, fuel trims, O2, RPM, different solenoids... etc.

Of course those would be most important ones to monitor: knock in real time, o2 sensor value, MAS/MAF Hz value (hopefully above 1604Hz too) timing, injectors load and what error codes my ECU throws out.

Since no dataloger is yet available (or have been reported working) for our cars, I think there might be quite an interest in your product. I am a member of clubVR4.com (some 2000+ owners of Legnum/Galants/FTOs VR-4) and if you want any other info about our cars/ecu, I can get more people contributing info... to get this thing working for us.

Thanx again, for looking into this.
Val

Actually, if you have a VR4 it sounds like this would be the right
cable/software for the job (hybrid logger). If you are able to log on the
FTO etc with that same setup I will be very pleased and hopefully will be
able to whip something up for those cars.

Thanks,

Chris Dooley
Mirage Computers, Inc.

<<<< Two minutes later... another reply from Chris >>>>

Sounds like its the same old standard stuff that I've seen on the MUT-II.
Luckily I know they have some hidden codes in there to see knock in real
time .....if everything works out.

Actually, I've never seen something so lucky in my entire life.

It just so happens that I have that exact cable and exact cartridge
here!!!!!!

Any idea on what cars this cable/cartridge works on over there? Do you have
any ECU pin-out diagrams for those cars?

Thanks,

Chris Dooley
Mirage Computers, Inc.

This is something (Pinout.j pg) made up as a reference for VR-4 (6a13TT engine ECU)... I am not sure if everything is 100% correct, since most of the stuff was taken from different manuals. For example, CAM and CRANK angle sensors don't seem to cooperate on e-manage Ultimate, but it could be EMU itself that's causing problems.
PS: Can I post those e-mails on our forum? Maybe some other info will come in that can help...

Sure.

If you have a VR-4, our hybrid logger looks like it will work. I am more
interested now in seeing if I can get something built for the FTO's and
GVR4's.

Do you have any info on the MUT-II for this?

Thanks,

Chris Dooley
Mirage Computers, Inc.

enigma
10-11-2005, 07:26 AM
Awesome! I have a friend with a GTO and a hybrid logger!