PDA

View Full Version : Lowering roof line?

bradc
05-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Thoughts on this idea? I wonder how much it would cost, and how much paperwork I'd need to go through.

I'm about 5'8", as long as I can sit in the car I don't really care, so if I ever did get this done, it would be designed with me in mind, I don't know anyone that is 6' tall that is likely to want to get in my car!

You See
05-11-2005, 10:24 AM
How and why?

bradc
05-11-2005, 10:33 AM
why? looks of course. I guess there would be a small advantage for aerodynamics and fuel economy, as long as there is no weight gain in doing it.

how? well, thats the bodyshop's problem.

Paul Beazer
05-11-2005, 11:27 AM
Surely getting a windsreen and rear window would be a problem??

bradc
05-11-2005, 11:49 AM
I was thinking they could simply increase the angle of the existing windscreen and rear window to make it fit. To be honest I think that would be the least of my worries ;)

bernmc
05-11-2005, 10:31 PM
Custom glass is not a problem - my biggest worry would be loss of structural rigidity. You'd have to get someone who knows what they're doing to do it, not just a local cut & shut bunch.... Looks quite nice though.

Wodjno
05-11-2005, 10:34 PM
Thoughts on this idea? I wonder how much it would cost, and how much paperwork I'd need to go through.

I'm about 5'8", as long as I can sit in the car I don't really care, so if I ever did get this done, it would be designed with me in mind, I don't know anyone that is 6' tall that is likely to want to get in my car!

My biggest concern would be that.. /Hmmm

Don't think you will be able to get that box out of the back of your car now .. :D ;)

bradc
05-11-2005, 10:59 PM
Bern, you're right, of course I'd have to have it done professionally, thats why I was worried if the overall weight would actually go up.

WODJNO, I don't carry that much stuff in my car normally. That picture is actually of my old gdi wagon with drum brakes on the back! I think that photo is over a year old.

Wodjno
05-11-2005, 11:02 PM
WODJNO, I don't carry that much stuff in my car normally. That picture is actually of my old gdi wagon with drum brakes on the back! I think that photo is over a year old.

Hmmmmmmmmm ! /Hmmm

Xeroid
07-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Thats a major job, affects structural integrity of the whole body. Front window is a bonded member of the lateral bracing system. All new door tops, glass, rear door and a major recertification to get it approved. Front window will not rebond properly due to changed angle at sill lip so may not pass at all I'd bet cos they cannot test it without destroying it and they ain't got the equipment to test it anyway.

bradc
07-11-2005, 11:29 AM
Yeah I figured it would be a major job, I guess it is only worth doing after I have the work done to the rest of the car.

dickytim
07-11-2005, 06:45 PM
you would probably have to have the chassis strengthened, and being a monocoque (spelling) chassis I am not even sure that would be possible, you'd have to have some sort of ladder chassis added to the car, the weight increase would be huge, you'd have to treat it like making it a convertable, it would cost far more than the car is worth.

_simon_
08-11-2005, 10:30 AM
You could stick a big as body kit on it to make the bottom bigger thus the top look smaller :)

bradc
08-11-2005, 07:56 PM
lol @ simon, I am going to do that anyway, I just want to make my Legnum very very unique.

Dickytim, I think you're right, but I wouldn't have thought I would need to strengthen the whole chassis that much, I'm still going to have a roof ;)

WildCards
08-11-2005, 08:06 PM
Be good to see the end result. Rather you than me though.

bradc
08-11-2005, 08:12 PM
well, I probably won't do it, and if I do then it will be a very long time away anyway, so don't get too anxious ;)

Xeroid
10-11-2005, 08:42 AM
As I said first time, you would be extremely unlikely to be able to recertify it especially as it is already a stressed performance vehicle. Once upon a time in the good ol' days maybe but now, I doubt it. Bad enough trying to get a minor exhaust mod past them now.

enigma
10-11-2005, 08:56 AM
you could always try this???

bradc
10-11-2005, 10:45 AM
Xeriod, you haven't seen my exhausts then, a 5" exit on either side of the car ;)

Dave, unfortunately I need to carry stuff from time to time, but that ute looks great, you could convert your track car into one!