PDA

View Full Version : Of all the days, my car chooses this one

BraindG
09-11-2005, 02:11 AM
Time of night has come to put the car to bed, i open the garage, jump in and turn the key.. nothing.. not even a noise :inquisiti - it doesnt turn over, theres no tick tick tick like when the battery is half dead.. just nothing... argh, why me! /grr

Im supposed to be going to a customer tomorrow, looks like ill have to do some diy at 6am on the drive to see if i can get it working.. before giving up and getting the train..

Prior to this, the car has been making alot of strange grinding noises, like when the brakes are stuck to the disc, you know that low droning noise. I put it down to the clutch cos i can feel it vibrating through the pedal..

Perhaps its the starter motor? ill try jumping it down my drive in the morning, just incase.. bah, just as life couldn't get any worse, the car dies... again /help

Big Ian
09-11-2005, 02:30 AM
if i remember right you can tell it's the starter by, putting on your main beam, turn the key to start...if the light's die and then come back on once you turn key back to off ....well that's how we use to check older car's /Hmmm
:inquisiti or you could stick it in gear and rock it, incase the starter has only jam'd

Good Luck :thumbsup:

Nick Mann
09-11-2005, 10:51 AM
Bummer.

Hope you worked out what it was.

AderC
09-11-2005, 09:49 PM
Is yours an auto? If so try putting it in drive and back in park. I've had the same symptoms and it seems to be down to a problem in the 'box where it thinks it ain't in "park" and therefore won't start.

If yours is a manual then "nasal sex"!

aDe

EDIT: oops! Just read you've got a clutch pedal...that'll be a manual then... /pan

psbarham
09-11-2005, 10:14 PM
sounds daft but check your starter bolts , it sounds like the starter has come loose and has jammed on the flywheel or bell housing

Wouter
09-11-2005, 10:20 PM
Or maybe the flywheel has come loose, that may explain the extra noises.....

I hope not!! :embarasse :inquisiti

Paul Beazer
09-11-2005, 10:23 PM
No, dont go there Wouter!

psbarham
09-11-2005, 10:23 PM
Or maybe the flywheel has come loose, that may explain the extra noises.....

I hope not!! :embarasse :inquisiti
it did cross my mind but i think that would have shown a slightly more catastrophic problem than a bit of rumbling

BraindG
10-11-2005, 04:20 PM
Amazingly the car started yesterday morning, and on nearly all occasions during my site visit to a customer.. thank god...

The starter motor being loose, could be a winnar.. Perhaps me jumping in the car rocks the car enough to loosen it, and start the car?

Hmm, well the engine is coming out again to investigate this rumbling noise.. so ill see if its the flywheel.. ill report on its condition aswell..

BraindG
03-03-2006, 12:04 AM
Think i might have cracked it? - not sure, but today, for the first time in a while i was able to rag the car, so i plugged the turbo timer in to allow car to cool down..

came home, derek and I went to Tescos, jumped in, car wouldnt start.. trid again, same thing.. unplugged the turbo timer.. started first time?

ill keep an eye on it, if it happens again, while the turbo timer is unplugged its not that..