PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in question?

kammy.ahmed
09-09-2003, 02:21 PM
Hi all
Does any body know the right way to break-in mr brakes? Just got a new set of ferodo pads and 8 groove discs, thanks to Pete!Just dont want to ruin them before i even start!

pjjohnson
09-09-2003, 02:44 PM
Ferodo put instructions on how to break in pads with each set of pads.

I can't remember the specifics but the basic principle is that you need build up heat slowly by doing a number of runs down to about 20 mph from higher and higher speeds. Start at about 40, then 50, 60, 70 etc. Don't break too hard to start with. Then let them cool and you should be ready to go.
No liability accepted !

Nick VR4
09-09-2003, 02:53 PM
Or just brake earlier than you normally do for a few days
Depending on how many miles you drive

Dont slam the brakes on as this causes the pads to shine and not work so well

landy
09-09-2003, 08:35 PM
The local dealer who fitted mine said not to break hard for the first few hundred miles

zedy1
09-09-2003, 09:11 PM
take it easy for a couple of hundred miles or so

BraindG
09-09-2003, 09:13 PM
bleh... just dont brake hard for a while.. take it easy.. youll be fine!

Spirit
09-09-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by kammy.ahmed
Hi all
Does any body know the right way to break-in mr brakes? Just got a new set of ferodo pads and 8 groove discs, thanks to Pete!Just dont want to ruin them before i even start!

Hope your please with them mate :D

Just follow the above advice and you'll be fine

kammy.ahmed
10-09-2003, 12:35 PM
Thanks for all the good advise chaps! When my mechanic took apart my old discs we noticed that my drivers side disc had 3 great big cracks in:eek: which hje said was very dangerous. My pads had also been ruined and were all shiny smooth and useless.
But have the new discsINSERT INTO post VALUES (discount for being clubvr4!!!!!) on now and they are looking good, having some problems though as they are groaning very very loud even when i am not braking so am taking them back to trhe fitter today. I dont think it is the brakes though i reckon its the fitting of the brakes!