PDA

View Full Version : Inhibitor switch?

bernmc
10-11-2005, 03:30 PM
My car hasn't had reverse beeps or lights for a while now. Got xtreme to run some diagnostics for me today and it's come up with a faulty inhibitor switch. Apparently this sits on top of the box near the atf filter.

So...

what the devil does it do?
is it easy to remove and replace?
and most importantly, does mighty mo have one?!!!

psbarham
10-11-2005, 03:39 PM
My car hasn't had reverse beeps or lights for a while now. Got xtreme to run some diagnostics for me today and it's come up with a faulty inhibitor switch. Apparently this sits on top of the box near the atf filter.

So...

what the devil does it do?
is it easy to remove and replace?
and most importantly, does mighty mo have one?!!!

what the devil does it do? it works out what gear the box is in and inhibits the starter if its not in park or neutral

is it easy to remove and replace? should be easy remove the airbox and inlet pipes and you will see it on the top of the box

and most importantly, does mighty mo have one?!!! how the hell should i know , ask him yourself /pan

psbarham
10-11-2005, 03:42 PM
have a look HERE (http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/Mitsubishi_Manuals/23_Automatic_Transmission.pdf)

bernmc
10-11-2005, 03:48 PM
Ta lincolnman. I wonder if it's definitely faulty, or not adjusted correctly. I don't have any problems with any of the forward gears.

richy rich
10-11-2005, 03:50 PM
Bern if its the switch to the left of oil filter it looks like you will need to drain box? remove the valve body cover which houses all the solenoids and valve body, unplug plug back in and put back together. :thumbsup:

richy rich
10-11-2005, 03:51 PM
may be faulty connection try unplugging and reconnecting

bernmc
10-11-2005, 08:02 PM
Think I'll give the connector a jiggle then - just filled up with 85 quid's worth of amsoil - don't want to have to drain that!

richy rich
10-11-2005, 08:19 PM
Think I'll give the connector a jiggle then - just filled up with 85 quid's worth of amsoil - don't want to have to drain that!
Bern I'm not 100% about draining it down,
you might be able to do it with out draining it all out.

Nick Mann
10-11-2005, 08:21 PM
Bern - get yer ass over here on sat, we should have a spare kicking around and a box to look at on the floor.

richy rich
10-11-2005, 08:24 PM
Bern - get yer ass over here on sat, we should have a spare kicking around and a box to look at on the floor.
well said nick :thumbsup:

bernmc
10-11-2005, 11:19 PM
I'll try. Only finish work @ 6pm though :(

bernmc
16-11-2005, 05:29 PM
So. Xtreme wanted 50 bucks for a new inhibitor switch. And it wouldn't have solved the problem...

/Ralph Harris voice: "Can you see what it is yet....?"

enigma
16-11-2005, 05:43 PM
So. Xtreme wanted 50 bucks for a new inhibitor switch. And it wouldn't have solved the problem...

/Ralph Harris voice: "Can you see what it is yet....?"

Your impression of Rolf Harris is not as bad as your impression of David Bailey!

richy rich
16-11-2005, 05:59 PM
pick isn't to good Bern is it just crap in there.

bernmc
16-11-2005, 06:26 PM
Stupid buggrs. David Bailey my 4rse - taught him all I know (didn't take long), and what thanks do I get now he's famous?????:|

Anyway, it's a fine pic, and the fault is bloody obvious. You two want to go and work for Xtreme :D

richy rich
16-11-2005, 06:36 PM
doh is it that it is unpluged /pan /pan :embarasse

bernmc
16-11-2005, 06:55 PM
doh is it that it is unpluged
Nice try, my young apprentice, but that's not it. Uuuuusssssseeeee the force!

richy rich
16-11-2005, 07:01 PM
put me out of my misery what is it

psbarham
16-11-2005, 07:02 PM
the top right terminal is bent therefore not making contact with the corresponding one on the other half of the plug

enigma
16-11-2005, 07:03 PM
You are bent

richy rich
16-11-2005, 07:04 PM
OK i can see it now must be my eye site /pan

psbarham
16-11-2005, 07:05 PM
You are bent
i hope that is directed at bern :inquisiti

bernmc
16-11-2005, 07:10 PM
the top right terminal is bent therefore not making contact with the corresponding one on the other half of the plug
And the winner is........ The lurgy-ridden drooler from Linconshirshirshire!

I :inquisiti under the turbo pipes today, and thought that the inhibitor switch might not be aligned with the selector correctly, so I pulled the air filter and pipe off. The switch turned out to be set correctly, so I pulled the connector off to do a continuity check... and spotted the bent pin (number 7).- when you select reverse, you should get continuity between pins 7 & 8, so it fitted with the symptoms.

Tweaked the pin, reconnected, and now my car makes that bloody aweful lorry-in-reverse type sqawking again. Hooray.

Tiem taken: 15min. Total cost: 0. Cha-ching, please come again.

Bit disappointed in Xtreme - clearly all they did was read the ECU. Didn't bother to have a quick look at the actual switch or connector. :|

richy rich
16-11-2005, 07:23 PM
good to hear bern :thumbsup:

Kieran
16-11-2005, 10:04 PM
Bit disappointed in Xtreme - clearly all they did was read the ECU. Didn't bother to have a quick look at the actual switch or connector. :|

One - This is what REALLY yanks my crank with Dealerships!!

Two - Tell them what they missed... Show them and ask why! I did, and now the service people at Variava's have a kind of love/hate realationship with me!! :smug: :evil2:

Paul Beazer
16-11-2005, 10:34 PM
Fitters not mechanics!
But the muttII told me....

psbarham
16-11-2005, 10:46 PM
Fitters not mechanics!
But the muttII told me....
exactly , i have spent many years as a mechanic on various devices , so know how to repair things , it never ceases to amaze me at the amount of people ( main dealer "mechanics" included ) who start mumbling when you tell them 'oh thats easy enough to repair ' because all they know is put a new one on . i' pretty sure this is the reason you can't get pattern parts or service kits for modern cars , no one repairs stuff anymore , sorry I'll stop ranting now :embarasse

bernmc
26-11-2005, 10:42 AM
I'm going to let Simon at Xtreme know about this. We'll see what he says, but I don;t expect much!

Incidently, before sorting the connector out, my car was clunking into revers - gave a bit of a lurch everytime I shifted. Now, it just glides into gear. It was also slipping at times in reverse - this has also stopped.

psbarham
26-11-2005, 08:51 PM
I'm going to let Simon at Xtreme know about this. We'll see what he says, but I don;t expect much!

Incidentally, before sorting the connector out, my car was clunking into revers - gave a bit of a lurch every time I shifted. Now, it just glides into gear. It was also slipping at times in reverse - this has also stopped.
i should say as this contact was affecting your reversing lights and annoying beepy thing (technical term /yes ) it was also giving the gearbox ecu false info , ooh the marvels of modern technology

Kieran
26-11-2005, 09:06 PM
I must say, I'm surprised it worked at all - normally these things throw a code and sit there going /Hissy if something is loose!!

psbarham
26-11-2005, 09:16 PM
there is a mechanical connection into the box as well so it was just a bit miffed at what was going on