PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 V6 Sport - Suspension Q?

ritch_w
09-09-2003, 04:37 PM
I have a question regarding the suspension on the V6 Sport (Saloon).

heres the prob:
when travelling on country / A-roads at speed, going over any rises / dips result in what feels like the car lifting off - the front suspension gives the impresion of topping out i.e. not enough travel in the suspension.
(Strange considering the sport model still sits pretty high with a big gap between tyres and wheel arch)

previous cars, including a Golf GTi with stiff suspension and old volvo estate, never displayed any such characteristics at faster speeds than the galant.

Basically the galant feels a bit unsafe at speed on A-roads, and i think it should perform alot better than it does ( the wifes carisma is quicker & more stable on the back roads)

- any suggestions or theories regarding this?????

(I will get it looked at when it is next serviced anyway)

Brind
09-09-2003, 06:15 PM
Although trying to give it a sporty image perhaps they are also trying to compromise with comfort too?
Siince the Galant is the only real saloon in Mitsubishi's range to compete with the likes of the 3/5 series BMWs etc, perhaps they are trying to sell it as a comfortable cruiser.

Since it is virtually impossible to have superb handling and a very smooth comfortable ride this could be the reason.

The VR-4 is very much a bone shaker and harder than a previous Nissan 200SX which IS a sportscar.

Dmac1969
09-09-2003, 07:06 PM
I had a Skoda Octavia vRS for 2 years and its suspension was sporty when you were pressing on (much better than the Mk4 Golf GTi i tried) but still comfortable around Berwicks 3rd world style pockmarked roads , so it IS possible , maybe Mitsubishi went for comfort rather than 'press on handling' with their suspension settings.

SGHOM
09-09-2003, 07:55 PM
the galant is renowned for it's "squidgy " ride. if you look on either top gear, or autotrader road tests, they will confirm this. mitsy havn't managed to combine sporty handling with comfy ride, compared to the likes of BMW, or AUDI. by all means have it checked out though.

Darren
09-09-2003, 08:10 PM
my galant gls was great fun on skye. Boinga Boinga Boinga crunch Boinga crunch screech-a-boinga screech sigh, tick tick tick...... sump guard is a must, oh and wings. Can't wait to VR-4 the cuilin ridge :p :D :eek:

zedy1
09-09-2003, 09:16 PM
i used to have the 7g 2.5 v6 which was excellent and that suspension does look higher than it should be

ritch_w
10-09-2003, 01:40 PM
On the whole the suspension seems a good comprimise between comfort and handling, it handles very well on flat & twisty roads - with no bumps or crests etc - some silly cornering speeds have been achieved! (it handles better than some previous sports cars!)

however its the lift off or topping out at the front than concerns me (the back remains planted firmly on the road).
its as if there is no (or limited) extended suspension travel

I'm wondering if
a) this is normal on a V6?
b) the shock or the spring (particularly the front left) could have a fault?
c) UK galant suspension was designed specificaly for the dutch market, where everywhere is flat!
d) has anyone else had any suspension issues?

btw
I had a tired (170K) old volvo 850 estate for a wee while, :o with bouncy castle suspension, and on the same roads it didnt go airbourne and the slightest crest or bump - hence my concern...

Nick Mann
10-09-2003, 03:41 PM
I have a 98 (S) V6 estate. Whilst the suspension is definately not firm, it is a good compromise for most situations. I have been in and driven cars when the suspension has reached it's limit, but I have not yet done it in my Galant. I would say personally that it is a little soft, but then if it was harder, speed bumps would have their desired effect on me! :rolleyes:

Dmac1969
10-09-2003, 07:13 PM
I know what you mean Nick , as in if the suspension was firmer , youd actually have to slow down for them?...I never bother but most of them are the ones where your wheels almost straddle them , you only have to drive over the most shallow part if you hit them right!

Kieran
13-09-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by ritch_w
the lift off or topping out at the front than concerns me (the back remains planted firmly on the road).
its as if there is no (or limited) extended suspension travel

I'm wondering if
a) this is normal on a V6?
b) the shock or the spring (particularly the front left) could have a fault?
c) UK galant suspension was designed specificaly for the dutch market, where everywhere is flat!
d) has anyone else had any suspension issues?

I've just come back from sunny Wales, and whilst I've been menacing other road users with Sub-GLS power:D and misbehaving in general:devil5: I too have noticed the symptom you describe.

I think it's a characteristic of the suspension, caused by poor rebound damping. When I was enquiring about 17" Sport alloys, the dealer said that the Sport models use almost identical suspension to the standard models (in fact, I think the only difference is a 10mm drop in ride height, but I'll check).

BUT - if you have it checked and you find a gremlin, let me know, as that'll mean I'm carrying a fault that i'm not aware of!

Dmac1969
13-09-2003, 10:12 PM
Im surprised the Sport has a 10 mil drop , it seems to have the same yawning cravasse of a wheelarch gap that my V6-24 has!

Nick Mann
14-09-2003, 06:19 PM
I think I have just experienced what you lot are talking about?!

I booted it round a large roundabout (with traffic lights) changed to second at about thirty and flicked the car off at the appropriate exit, where the camber changed suddenly. The front N/S wheel under acceleration, steering left and suddenly dropped by the camber change made a 'clonk' noise, and momentarily seemed to lose grip.

Is that likely to be the same as you are experiencing?

If it is, it surely can't be a fault!

KiwiTT
15-09-2003, 01:11 AM
My old Mitsubishi also felt wallowing. A change to performance GAS-shocks and left the springs intact gave a much better handling.

Many people commented that it gives a more "EURO" feel.

adam_shaw
06-11-2003, 10:35 AM
Basically the galant feels a bit unsafe at speed on A-roads, and i think it should perform alot better than it does ( the wifes carisma is quicker & more stable on the back roads)

- any suggestions or theories regarding this?????

I had similar feelings of uncertainty in the first week after getting my Sport, especially after the old car, which was a '97 V6-24.

The ride felt a lot less 'squishy' and was downright twitchy - it didn't inspire confidence at all.

When I bought the car, I told the dealer to do the tracking, Mitsi dealers in their wisdom only did the front, so I took it to a tyre place I'd trust and had them do the 4 wheel tracking (incidentally something I did every six months or so on the old car) and now its great :D

Sixty-five quid, but money well spent - should preserve the tyres longer as well.

colVR4
06-11-2003, 12:17 PM
I have had my V6 Sport for 4 months now and I am still impressed with the look of the car. The only gripe I have is the large gap between the top of the wheel and the arch. It does seem unneccessarily large.

Because of this I have been considering lowering the car, but I haven't done anything like this before so I wondering if I could get some help from those of you who have already been down this road.

How much should/could I lower the car by and how do I go about it? Is it an easy job or should I drop it in to the local garage? Do I stick with the standard shocks/springs or buy some others?

Some idea of cost would be good too as I am always being nagged by the girlie about spending too much on cars :nono: :nono:

ritch_w
06-11-2003, 01:50 PM
Update - at the last service (Mitsu dealer) i mentioned this prob, but they couldn't find anything wrong.......

i've just learned to live with it and enjoy!

Col - I have condsidered lowering mine, you can get springs for about £100 - I would go with -35mm with a quality make like Eibach or go mental and spent £250 on HKS or similar!

You can get Tein on e-bay - shipped from USA - still be cheaper than here! http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=63896978&ssPageName=L2
or search the US e-bay site.

My only concern would be that the dampers would be unsuitable for the springs and ruin the handling (or the opposite and sort it all out ;) )

I was going to get a kit but all my plans for the galant are on hold - ive just got a new project so the only mod for the galant will be a towbar!!!!

zedy1
06-11-2003, 06:08 PM
PERSONNALLY i wouldnt lower it i did get some ralliart shocker and springs on the front but u get abit of a shabby ride

Kieran
06-11-2003, 07:51 PM
I prefer to keep suspension standard, too... I always feel the the manufacturers did it that way for a good reason - and you inevitably compromise the comfort aspect.

ritch_w
07-11-2003, 02:16 PM
is the Ralliart shocks & springs the same as the VR4 ones? or is this a specific option for the V6?

where can i find info on the Ralliart stuff?

thanks

zedy1
08-11-2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by ritch_w
is the Ralliart shocks & springs the same as the VR4 ones? or is this a specific option for the V6?

where can i find info on the Ralliart stuff?

thanks
if u find some let me know too

colVR4
11-11-2003, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the advice guys.

The decision has unfortunately already been made for me anyway. I was driving my girlfriends MGTF 160 on Friday when I was front-ended by 'white van man' down a single track road. The MG stopped dead in no time at all but the van just slid along the road and straight into the front of the car.

Girlfriend ain't happy...oh boy is she not happy. She hadn't put me down as a named driver so we have to get the money from the other guys insurance.... bugger!

It looks like I will be counting the pennies for the next couple of months, so the mods will have to wait. How much do chocolates and flowers for the next...oh....three years cost? :Cry1:

Kieran
11-11-2003, 11:30 PM
:Cry1:

Nightmare!!!!

Sorry to hear about that mate - hope everything gets sorted soon :(...

colVR4
16-11-2003, 11:14 PM
Just had the quote from the garage. £5400....ish.

...and that wasn't from an accident repair centre. It was a friend of one of our neighbours. He reckons that a quote from an accident repair centre will be at least £9500.

Anybody want a kidney? :Eyecrazy: :argue: :Eek1:

Kieran
16-11-2003, 11:25 PM
:wow::Eyecrazy::Cry1::bawling:

That's terrible! How's that break down - what needs replacing/repairing?

Message to ColV6's girlfriend:

HE DIDN'T MEAN IT AND HE'S VERY VERY SORRY INDEED!!! PUT THE KNIFE DOWN!!!!

zedy1
16-11-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by colV6Sport
Just had the quote from the garage. £5400....ish.

...and that wasn't from an accident repair centre. It was a friend of one of our neighbours. He reckons that a quote from an accident repair centre will be at least £9500.

Anybody want a kidney? :Eyecrazy: :argue: :Eek1:

take that as a total loss

colVR4
16-11-2003, 11:34 PM
:ninja:

lol. Fortunately I am off the hook for a while. The girlie has gone to Switzerland for a week to work in the office so I get to have a break.

Plus, she picked up her engagement ring on Saturday from the jewellers. Bespoke 18ct yellow gold with four-point platinum set 0.71ct brilliant cut diamond. If that doesn't make her happy then I may as well just call it a day now!!

I will post the picks of the damage as soon as I have downloaded them from the camera. Basically, the drivers wing, bonnet and front bumper all need replacing. There is also damage to the internal wing on the drivers side which needs cutting and replacing. It doesn't look like there is any damage to the chassis though. Most of the cost is labour as most of the front of the car has to be dismantled to work on it. :(

Kieran
16-11-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by colV6Sport
...Plus, she picked up her engagement ring on Saturday from the jewellers. Bespoke 18ct yellow gold with four-point platinum set 0.71ct brilliant cut diamond. If that doesn't make her happy then I may as well just call it a day now!!!

Blimey!! That ring sounds VERY nice and VERY expensive! £2500 you said it was?:Eyecrazy:Crumbs!

Mine and Alex's eternity rings (we're doing things back to front as usual - it's like having an engagement ring without the pressure:D) were about £150 each! But we both love them!