PDA

View Full Version : Autronic SM2 or AEM EMS?

bradc
12-11-2005, 09:28 AM
http://www.autronic.com/page_files/sm2_kit.htm

http://www.aempower.com/product_ems.asp

I don't know which one to choose. Ohlsens Development who are doing the work for me is more familiar with the AEM, and they recommend it because of that. However I like the SM2 because it has 3 boost profiles that can be switched to and from on the fly. On the AEM I would be able to do this, but through use of an external solenoid, the ECU wouldn't have another complete map to run on though, which mightn't be the best option if I was running in the max boost mode when I'm say racing on a circuit.

You See
12-11-2005, 10:34 AM
I'd say still with the one which Ohlsens recommend (aem) as they'll be able to tune it correctly. As with the Autronic, you may not be able to take full advantage of the ECU.

zentac
12-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Autronics is the best one to go for, thats the one I will be going for in a few months, however it will probably be the SM4. If you make up a wiring loom can you make 2 up while your at it ;)

bradc
12-11-2005, 11:21 PM
But the question is how much differance is there really? As I said, the big thing I want to do is have a cruising mode, as well as a max performance mode with 2 complete maps, both the SM2 and SM4 have this. At this stage I'm going with mods like a Fuel Pressure Regulator, Fuel Pump, an air intake for each turbo, intercooler, blow off valve, enlarged throttle body, ported intake manifold oil coolers, as well as the ECU, and I already have the exhaust system done with downpipes. I'm going to get the turbo to intercooler piping redone as well, but only to a point, because I will go to TD04's, so there is no point doing the piping right next to the turbos at this stage. I'm also going to get piping replaced running from the intercooler up to the throttle body.

In the future I want to run a set of ported 6a12 mivec heads, with reground cams, and eventually change to TD04's, get 2 manifolds made up, 6x 550cc injectors.

So I want to get an ECU that will handle all of that without limiting me in anyway. I'll see how much a wiring harness will be too ;)

AllBeItMine
12-11-2005, 11:51 PM
that is an impressive wish list of mods...

got the autronic - thats my vote. the rally team i work for run their evo on it and its brilliant.

if you are worried about boost control you could always get a purpose electronic boost controller that handles multiple profiles, boost per gear and per rpm then all you would need to do is get the ECU tuned to the MAP and it should compensate whatever boost you choose to run.

i think you and I are takling our modding in two completely different ways...

i have gone for the big turbos first and will get it tuned. in the process of getting it tuned i will find out all the things that need to be upgraded on the way.

you on the other hand are doing every supporting mod you can think of so that when it comes time to run big HP your car should be sorted.

will be interesting to see which way works better.

bradc
13-11-2005, 04:51 AM
The reason I'm doing it my way is because I'm just scared of blowing something up. My first stage of mods are costing heaps, but probably won't return that much of a performance gain. I am hoping for 200kw at the wheels with these mods, I'm 160kw at the moment.

I have thought about getting an Apexi AVC-R for boost control, and an AEM EMS for the ecu, I can use the Apexi to change between boost profiles, and it supports differant boost in each gear as well. That works out at about the same price as the Autronic.

I'll probably talk to Ohlsens for a few hours this week, and see how the price works out, and see what the best overall option is. The stuff in the first paragraph is going to be done before xmas by Ohlsens, the rest of it is going to be much later.