PDA

View Full Version : How can I get a GVR4?

TurboLaserAWD
14-04-2003, 06:17 PM
Is there anyway to get on imported to the US. I have never heard of anyone in the US sporting a newer GVR-4. I would love to have a brand new 8G GVR-4. I'd like to learn more though. Any testimonials here? Also is there a restriction on the HP due to Japan regulations? Because 280HP doesn't sound like much for a TT-V6. I mean the 3000GT's had 320 while the GTO's had 276. Just curious. Thanks.

Also about how much do these cars run?

BraindG
14-04-2003, 06:48 PM
Hi, and welcome to the site..

regarding testimonials, the site is still finding its footing, once they are firmly in place, there should be hopefully be plenty info displayed..

280, is the standard, one of the guys here calum, has a rolling road print out, think it came to 276? not sure, but im sure he will correct me if im wrong..

regarding importing, not really got a clue as yet, however once i have collated more info, im sure there will be something of use to you.

Barry

Brind
14-04-2003, 06:57 PM
Hello mate,
I could be wrong but I'm sure I heard they won't be available over there because of emission regulations?

BraindG
14-04-2003, 07:08 PM
i was gonna say that, about it not possibly passing its MOT, but i wasnt sure, so kept mouth shut :)

Spirit
14-04-2003, 07:22 PM
Read the same guys on many other sites - don't think the VR-4 will pass the emission tests over in the USA - one guy also said the cost to import one would be very expensive aswell ?

Pete

Nick VR4
15-04-2003, 10:49 AM
It would cost a small fortune to import to USA
And it would be righthand drive only

Emmision controls in the US are tighter than a ducks backside :D
To get it into the US you would loose bhp through tweaking it for emmision laws
VR4's need 97+ octane
Service is 4500 with a authorised Mits dealer

Cheers Nick

TurboLaserAWD
15-04-2003, 08:25 PM
emissions are not a problem for me. my current car does not meet emission standards due to the fact that I have eliminated the catalytic converter in favor of a straight pipe. I can simply go and buy my own inspections stickers through people i know. And as far as right hand drive goes, that would be a tough one, but there are people that import JDM cars like Integras and Type R Civics. The key here is that I would not make this my daily driver car due to the fact that it would be too rare, not too mention too goddamn good looking.

As far as tuning for emissions and knocking the BHP down, I could probbably work around that. It works on the 6G72 platform right? And Mitsubishi has a habit of keeping things in line with it motors. I already have experience with the 4G63, and if its anything like that, I'm sure a little retard of the timing should fix the knock problem that would occur with the 93 octane that is availble to me. Plus I could always richen it up a bit and make sure I have a nice large FMIC. Believe me, if I had a GVR-4, it would not stay stock. What's the fun in having a moderately fast INSERT INTO post VALUES (compared to the 11 and 12 second cars around town) imported car?

Is it basically the same set up as the 3000GT? I mean can I install the 13G or even 15G turbos or any other performance part I would get for that car?

Brind
15-04-2003, 08:36 PM
The 3000GT is a 3.0 litre V8 to start with whereas the Galant VR-4 is a 2.5 V6, apart from that I don't have a clue what parts can be used on both if any.

I don't know a great deal about the engine in these cars.. yet, but I would expect it to be vastly different to the 2.0 litre VR-4 old shape Galants you can get over there.

car due to the fact that it would be too rare, not too mention too goddamn good looking. You have good taste!!

TurboLaserAWD
15-04-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Brind
[B]The 3000GT is a 3.0 litre V8 to start with whereas the Galant VR-4 is a 2.5 V6

The 3000GT uses a 3.0L V6, I just forgot that the GVR4 uses a 2.5L V6.

chris g
15-04-2003, 11:07 PM
I imported mine from Japan using an experienced UK agent who does NOT buy auction cars

He buys from dedicated car dealers and so mine came from a Mitsubishi dealer

This agent initially brought in MR2's but has branched out into other manufacturers in recent months

I gave him as detailed a specification/description as possible and he then searches dealers in Japan for the car

When he finds exact or close matches he provides pictures and a brief description

If it is not what you want he carries on until your car is found

He then took care of all arrangements and tests to prepare for UK roads

He has colleagues in Japan who but from dealers/collect cars and get onto ships for journey to UK

I just paid money as and when required

Obtaining a car and getting it to USA would be a little bit of a bigger job and I guess the sea journey would be shorter and shipping charges reduced if car came across pacific to USA rather than the route to UK from Japan

If that could be arranged well you may then have yourself a great car!

Perhaps an agent in USA could be found to arrange shipping but you would need an agent like the one I used who has connections/organisation in Japan that could buy from dealers etc

I do not know if my agent would be able/willing to work with you to get a car

Chris

TurboLaserAWD
15-04-2003, 11:55 PM
well don't worry too much about it. i was just making an inquiry. it's not like i have all the money right now to be making that type of a purchase. I did however find one that was in a salvage yard in New Jersey on Ebay for only 7200. Aparently just the front rail needed to be replaced.

Nick VR4
16-04-2003, 09:50 AM
Yeah I saw this on ebay
Looks a bit more than a front rail replacing though

JonRB
02-05-2003, 09:23 PM
Ok, so we've established that it is near impossible to get one to the states.

But for those of us fortunate to live in old Blighty, what are the best places to look for a Galant VR4 INSERT INTO post VALUES (preferably UK spec rather than import)?

Cheers
Jon

INSERT INTO post VALUES (Hello from a PistonHeads (http://www.pistonheads.com/) member who has just joined your site / forums BTW)

chris g
02-05-2003, 10:19 PM
Autotrader

Mitsubishi dealers second hand car network

Spirit
02-05-2003, 10:51 PM
Personally I would get one only from a Mitsy dealer or a very reputable importer - see the links section - and make sure you get a decent warranty.

Pete

chris g
02-05-2003, 11:01 PM
Mitsubishi/Ralliart Dealers do advertise in AutoTrader

They also have a number of dealers sites with secondhand cars accessed thru a mitsubishi portal

Hey is that tecno talk or what?!

It may be rubbish but it sounded good as I typed it!

Petrolhead
02-05-2003, 11:01 PM
Sorry guys, but there's one very important thing you are forgetting about when introducing a new car to a country.....

Crash testing :bawling:

For "The fast and the Furious" they had to import several Skylines and smash them all up, just to satisfy safety procedures, so if you want a VR4 in the USA, and no-one else has done so, you may need to by a few VR4's and do it yourself.

I know you have the Standard Galants over there, but with the all-wheel-drive and turbo thing, they may treat it as a seperate entity.

Hope I'm wrong though.

Dave.

chris g
02-05-2003, 11:07 PM
No worries

this info is for JonRB in Hampshire, UK!

Brind
02-05-2003, 11:38 PM
I bought mine from seeing an advert in the Auto Trader, it was also a Mitsubishi main dealer.

They have one in Magnum Motors still, a saloon and a legnum, his cars are all import but Immaculate!!.
If you want a decent official import put your feet up for a while and keep on looking.....:)

chris g
02-05-2003, 11:53 PM
Yes I visited Mangum before I chose a different route to get my VR-4

Cars at Magnum do look good but many are from auctions in Japan

Not always a bad thing but I believe getting a car with Japan service history is more reassuring and auction cars do not always have these

If looking around and have a budget in mind, try Julian Alison

He will look for a car to your spec and price as closely as he can and then narrange import as he guides you thru the process

If you reject those he finds at official dealers in Japan, then you have lost nothing

theta1602
29-05-2003, 06:06 AM
Hey, y'all...
I'm a huge fan of the VR-4 since my dad had a 91, and it's a damn shame they stopped makin 'em in the States past 92. The thing was the epitomy of the family sedan INSERT INTO post VALUES (saloon) with performance!
As far as importing them, I look at it like this...people import Skylines, JDM Integras, WRX's, and Evo's all the time, so it's definitely possible to get a Galant VR-4 here. Just open the wallet and know who to talk to. Emissions? I have a USDM Civic and I haven't taken it to emissions yet...tee hee...
As Tool once said, it's only wrong if you get caught.
The site is great, and I'm already proud to be a member after about 10 minutes. Nice job, mates. Cheers.