PDA

View Full Version : wheres my trans filter?!!!

Gly
15-11-2005, 06:50 AM
decided it was about time to change the trans fuild in my legnum 25ST

quick easy question..
wheres my trans filter or do the 4 spd triptronics not have them??

also i wanna put a trans oil cooler on, any recomendations on size?
and what it should be made of??

im looking at THIS (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Core-engine/auction-40113910.htm) for my car

Wodjno
15-11-2005, 07:15 AM
decided it was about time to change the trans fuild in my legnum 25ST

quick easy question..
wheres my trans filter or do the 4 spd triptronics not have them??

also i wanna put a trans oil cooler on, any recomendations on size?
and what it should be made of??

im looking at THIS (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Core-engine/auction-40113910.htm) for my car

The filter on the VR4 is more or less directly below where your air filter is.. It's mounted at the top of the gearbox. Try there /Hmmm

Gly
15-11-2005, 07:18 AM
yeh i had a look, theres a provision there for it (its cast in the housing but not drilled or anything) .. but no filter

Wodjno
15-11-2005, 07:26 AM
yeh i had a look, theres a provision there for it (its cast in the housing but not drilled or anything) .. but no filter

Looks like the 4 speed don't have them then.? I haven't changed the oil on the Missus car yet, so not noticed whether she has 1 on her 4 speed auto :inquisiti

Gly
15-11-2005, 07:30 AM
hmm strang it dont have one, wonder if its a internal pannel typr like the older mitsi autos?

Kenneth
15-11-2005, 08:44 AM
hmm strang it dont have one, wonder if its a internal pannel typr like the older mitsi autos?

hmmm, my 1.8GDI had one... admittedly it was a AWD version, but i would expect that transmission filtering to be standard???

Wodjno
15-11-2005, 08:55 AM
hmmm, my 1.8GDI had one... admittedly it was a AWD version, but i would expect that transmission filtering to be standard???

I read in another post that later versions don't have the cartridge filter. /yes Think it was quadal that posted this.. He has a 2001 VR4. :inquisiti

EDIT: See here..

POSTED by Quadal

Used your step by step guide today Kieran and it worked a treat . It went even better when i found or didn't find an ATF filter on top of the gearbox.
Just a few differances on later models,(with the tiptronic/auto box)
1/ tip/box sump nut is 24mm.
2/ No cartridge filter to change. (Saving of £8). .

The oil i used was Comma DexronIII now labelled AQF. On another note, Spoke to a Texaco bod the other week and Theirs is going to change name again next year or to dexronIIIG or H can't remember now. (slept since ).
The Comma oil used 10 litres with a bit for rinsing out the sump bottom. On 38000 mile motor the old oil that came out was in pretty good condition(still reddish in colour), don't know whether this was the original or not. The sump nut did come undone pretty easy though! ("NICK"!!!).
Tested the motor afterwards and changes are good as before. No slipping or grabbing to report as yet. I did not use any additives. But i do definately recommend them when they are needed.
Definately thinking of adding a proper atf cooler at a later date!
Cheers Kieran

Gly
15-11-2005, 09:41 AM
yeh i read that also,
but it seams strange coz mines a prefaclift 98.
no what i would call a leter model.

kenneth, mine is a AWD model

andy43
02-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Well, put mine down for another with no gearbox filter
Flush + Amsoil today :rolleyes4
2000 W UK car, with a super-trick £6000 gearbox designed by Porsche... and no filter :inquisiti
Aaahaa - Porsche, sorry, VW Beetles don't have filters either :scholar: