PDA

View Full Version : square wheel...

nodding_dino
15-11-2005, 10:56 PM
a decidedly wobbly ride anything past 70 convinced me to take the car in to have the front wheels balanced and it came as no suprise to be told that one of the standard 17's had a battle scar :embarasse

A quick call to mitsi confirmed that I could buy a small country for the same money they wanted for a replacement wheel, so I started looking at some aftermarket alloys.

A look through the garage here and I came across a photo of some konig e-racers (you know who you are ;) ) so I called a company to get some prices. I have now been told that they don't supply anything that will fit a 2001 v6 wagon. I KNOW this can't be true, can someone confirm that I have the right dimensions?

17"
4 stud
PCD 114
Offset 50

thanks all,

a very wobbly dino!

PS - I took the car in to Corby Mitsubishi for a once over whilst the car is still under warranty. I am thrilled to say that they reckon it's the best example they've seen in a while!!! Yay me!

Nick Mann
15-11-2005, 10:58 PM
That is correct.

And good luck with the search for wheels!

nodding_dino
16-11-2005, 12:18 AM
will an offset of anything other than 50 be a non starter?

(thanks Nick!)

Kenneth
16-11-2005, 12:24 AM
will an offset of anything other than 50 be a non starter?

(thanks Nick!)

Check out this (http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp) link.

Changing the offset will affect where your rim edges start and finish in relation to your wheel arches. The calculator will tell you the dimensional changes which you can then go and check against your car.

I would expect that you should be able to reduce the offset some but you would need to go measure how far inside your arches your rims outer lip sits

nodding_dino
16-11-2005, 12:35 AM
thanks for the link Kenneth, if I understand correctly, reducing the offest pushes the edge of the wheel a few mm further 'out' of the wheel arch...

do we have any v6 sport wagon owners that have fitted aftermarket wheels who would be willing to share their new wheel dimensions?

(I didn't realise this was going to be so confusing!!!!!)

Kenneth
16-11-2005, 12:56 AM
thanks for the link Kenneth, if I understand correctly, reducing the offest pushes the edge of the wheel a few mm further 'out' of the wheel arch...

do we have any v6 sport wagon owners that have fitted aftermarket wheels who would be willing to share their new wheel dimensions?

(I didn't realise this was going to be so confusing!!!!!)

yes, you are correct. Generally reducing the offset a few mm is not a big deal.

I think the standard VR-4 wheels are 16"x6.5" with a 45mm offset.

At least one person here (on their VR-4) has 17"x8" rims with an offset of 35mm. this puts them 9mm closer on the inside and extends 29mm towords the edge of the car. I believe this is about the limit without modifying the wheel arches.

Anyway, the point is that there is usually a reasonable amount of room to play with.

Gly
16-11-2005, 06:59 AM
the offset on my legnum 25ST is 40
ive got 215/40/17 sized tyres

g6acb
26-04-2006, 02:53 PM
Was going to start a new thread, but having used the mighty power of the search button - i'll drag this one up!!

OK - same symptoms as nodding dino - vibration felt through steering wheel ( although at speeds slightly higher than 70 :inquisiti )

Just been to have wheel balancing and front alignment checked and two of my 'sport' alloys are - as the guy put it - 'pringled' /pan

They have been balanced out and feel a lot better - although I will be able to report more next week after I have driven another 1000 miles /help

Anyhoow, a quick search for alternative replacements has thrown up some likely contenders - which have an offset of 38 vs 50 for the current wheels....... anyone any ideas if this will be a problem? (means 12mm outward shift)????

Nick Mann
26-04-2006, 05:07 PM
Should get away with it, depending on the width of the alloy. The offset being the same, the wheel still gets closer to the edge of the car if the wheel width increases. So 12mm outward shift is only correct if your replacement alloys are the same width. Mine is a VR4, so the hub mounting face may not be in the same position, but I have an 8" wide wheel from an Evo 7, which I believe has an offset in the high 30's. Mine are close, but okay.

You could get all your mates sat in the boot and then measure the gap between wheel and arch?! :p