PDA

View Full Version : am I missing something??

strangebat
15-11-2005, 10:58 PM
I know it's pretty hard to tell from a picture but can anybody see anything glaringly obviously wrong in these pics.
first one is the front bank second the back. Considering the noise coming from them when the engine revs, they look surprisingly normal.
Gonna get a big enough bar tomorow to turn the engine and see what happens.

Btw this is after my engine ditched all its oil at xxxMPH on the m8 the other night

Nick Mann
15-11-2005, 11:04 PM
I can't see what it is? That looks the same as mine when I took mine apart? What have I missed??

Paul Beazer
15-11-2005, 11:05 PM
Im no expert, but the cam lobes "look" ok. Is it possible its your cam followers need to fill up with oil, hence the noise?? I would imagine if it was going some any oil in the follower would have been squeezed out by the rotation of the cam and with no oil being pumped into them they need to refill??

I hope its nothing terminal? Perhaps theres an air lock in some of the oil galleries? Fraid im not being very helpful, sorry.

strangebat
15-11-2005, 11:12 PM
I ran the engine for a while at idle before driving it, presuming that would fill any oil cavities but the noise is still there. Would it be possible damage to the bearings?? and if so is there a way to check them??

btw is this the turning point for the engine(small window on off side wheel arch)

A lot of questions :embarasse but I'm right on the limit of my technical knowledge here /help

richy rich
15-11-2005, 11:24 PM
yes that will turn your engine.
turn it clock wise.
use 1/2 ratchet and extension.

Nick Mann
15-11-2005, 11:26 PM
If your lifters are empty of oil, then it takes a while to get them full again. You need to rev the car to 2500 revs ish, then drop to idle and repeat a few times.

Having said that - if your problem is not the lifters then this advice could well be completely wrong!

Paul Beazer
15-11-2005, 11:34 PM
How long was it between the clonk of the plug falling out and you actually stopping? Had you been caning it before the plug fell out?
TBH honest its a tough call without seeing / hearing it, but i think it may be your cam followers, as the engine runs, although its noisy? Does it sound a bit rattly from the heads?

Bill-t
16-11-2005, 12:05 AM
you need to remove the cam caps as thats where the wear will be take a couple off and check

strangebat
16-11-2005, 12:10 AM
paul, you may have hit it on the head, the engine runs fine but its def a rattle in both heads, that gets louder with revs. I had been over to a cruise in greenock and wasn't hanging about on the way home when I heard what sounded like a stone hitting the underpan, then within seconds the oil warning light came on and before I even had a chance to stop the car cut out completely.
I didn't get any grinding noises before the car stopped-I'm guessing that it cut out as a safety due to lack of oil pressure

Paul Beazer
16-11-2005, 07:57 PM
Im guessing that there was no major damage done, as you didnt run it for any time once empty of oil. Might be an idead to put some engine flush through it once you get the noise sorted, just to get rid of any crap in there.
If you still have doubts, get a trusted garage to have a look at it. I would hate for you to damage then engine based on my advice!
Let us know?

strangebat
17-11-2005, 10:24 PM
cheers Paul :thumbsup: A mechanic mate of mine came round last night for a look and agreed it is the followers making the noise and that there seems to be no permanent damage :happy:
he said just to put it back together and run at idle for a while and it should quieten down.

methinks I have been very lucky, but I still have no idea why the plug decided to come out in the first place :inquisiti

Paul Beazer
17-11-2005, 11:16 PM
Excellent news, bet you breathed a sigh of relief! :thumbsup:

Gotta be worth a reputation point!?

Once you've got it all quiet again, an oil change would defo be a good idea tho.

Keep us updated. Hopefully things will go quiet very soon!

PS Make sure you follow SGHOM's tip of araldite. It is a concern that it fell out at all, mine was as tight as f*ck!

Big Ian
17-11-2005, 11:27 PM
I have been very lucky, but I still have no idea why the plug decided to come out in the first place :inquisiti

:inquisiti you still not thought of anyone with a grudge then??

Yan are you off work tomorrow?

strangebat
18-11-2005, 12:15 AM
:inquisiti you still not thought of anyone with a grudge then??

Yan are you off work tomorrow?

I don't think it was maliciuos Ian just one of those things. I'm working tomorow , but hoping to get saturday off to put it back together

Big Ian
18-11-2005, 12:25 AM
nah i was only "pulling yer leg" :rolleyes4

i was going to take a run up to your's tomorrow if you where in, ive a date on Saturday :chugchug: :chugchug: with a certain game of footy :leer: ...you know the one that will leave a certain team 15 point's /pan behind... another team :leer: :scholar:

Good luck, hope it all go's right for yae mate :thumbsup:

Big Ian
20-11-2005, 04:15 PM
any new's Yan?

spoke to Jack Hubbard earlier today....he's hoping all is well and was quite stunned by your car...he'd never heard of it before...he say's any Mitsubishi call out is something rare not many seam to breakdown! and when he get's one it's alway's something out the ordinary wrong with it? :rolleyes4

strangebat
20-11-2005, 09:06 PM
news aye but not good unfortunatly :sad3:

put it all back together yesterday and gave it a good flush. The cams are now nice and quiet but have been replaced by a much more sinister rattle, so checked the bottom end
first pic is what I found in the sump, :anxious: second of what I could see on the crankshaft, third is the bearings removed.
Im no expert but I'de say they were pretty well shagged

psbarham
20-11-2005, 11:00 PM
I'm my professional opinion , i would say they are well and truly mullered :embarasse

richy rich
20-11-2005, 11:02 PM
I'm my professional opinion , i would say they are well and truly mullered :embarasse
mullered is that the technical term for it. /pan

Paul Beazer
20-11-2005, 11:02 PM
Yan, thats a real bummer! I had my fingers crossed that it was just noisy followers! Sorry to see the state of those bearing, they do look cooked! Hope you manage to get it sorted out ok!

Paul Beazer
20-11-2005, 11:04 PM
I cant believe how much damage has happened in such a short space of time! PSB is that normal??

psbarham
20-11-2005, 11:14 PM
mullered is that the technical term for it. /pan
well i was going to say f**ked but its a family site , and paul yes thats pretty normal for an engine thats been run dry , i can't rember the rough figures but the force acting on those bearings is measured in tonnes not ounces when running at about half revs :rolleyes4

The Vee
20-11-2005, 11:25 PM
sorry to see that mate, not good, take it the journals are knacked also.

strangebat
20-11-2005, 11:31 PM
I cant believe how much damage has happened in such a short space of time! PSB is that normal??

this damage sems to have happened almost instantly, but not when it ran dry originally but when I was trying to refill everything.
I'm guessing but the holes that supply these bearings are so small they become blocked easily and so make it hard to get oil into all these spaces once they been emptied.

my fear is that I get this sorted and refill with oil again-now on fourth fill- and something else breaks :anxious:
oh and phoning mitis tomorow for set of cranshaft bearings /help

strangebat
20-11-2005, 11:36 PM
sorry to see that mate, not good, take it the journals are knacked also.

as far as I can see nothing else is damaged, the bearings have been well chewed and spat into the sump. I'm also hoping that the mesh over the pickup has been enough to protect the rest of the oil flow- gonna cut the filter open tomorow and see whats in it

zedy1
20-11-2005, 11:45 PM
that dont look cheap yo fix :embarasse

Big Ian
20-11-2005, 11:54 PM
Yan you could also try "west of scotland engineering" in Partick, their good at either getting the part's (cheaper) or engineering a new set?...or are Piston & component's still on the go? last time i used them they were on Great western road across from Autoimage / Maplin's (kinda area)

strangebat
20-11-2005, 11:58 PM
that dont look cheap yo fix :embarasse

cheers Mo :embarasse I'm trying not to think about it at the minute.
Should I be sitting down when I phone the dealer tomorow?? /help

strangebat
21-11-2005, 12:04 AM
Yan you could also try "west of scotland engineering" in Partick, their good at either getting the part's (cheaper) or engineering a new set?...or are Piston & component's still on the go? last time i used them they were on Great western road across from Autoimage / Maplin's (kinda area)

gonna try mitsy first for a reference price,(and part number) then go looking. the problem is it being a vr4 I don't know if they are a common part in mitsy engines or not

zedy1
21-11-2005, 12:07 AM
cheers Mo :embarasse I'm trying not to think about it at the minute.
Should I be sitting down when I phone the dealer tomorow?? /help

im not quite sure how much its gonna cost, but internals are not cheap :embarasse

Paul Beazer
28-11-2005, 10:43 PM
Yan, any progress on getting your internals sorted, or are you still recovering from the shock of the cost??

strangebat
28-11-2005, 11:15 PM
Just come back from a test drive round the block a few times, and it looks good /yes -no ratlles or bangs (in fact it sound better than ever :happy: ) I ended up replacing every shell in the bottom end. the damage was much worse than I first thought. big end shells, crankshaft shells and thrust bearings all destroyed.
Rebuilt it yesterday flushed it twice then put good oil in today.

As for cost I found some one (piston and components) who could get a complete set for £90, not expensive but it takes 4 weeks to get them /grr

Luckily though Mo had an engine lying about with top end damage so he got all the bearings out on thursday and I had them by Friday :thumbsup:

gonna drive like a Granny for the next 300 miles or so to bed them in but hopefully thats its sorted /Hmmm

I'll post some pics of the damage tomorow, one set of big end shells ended up so worn they had fused into each other sitting one on top the other /help

Paul Beazer
28-11-2005, 11:33 PM
Nice one, be gentle with her. :thumbsup:
All hail MO!

Paul Beazer
28-11-2005, 11:35 PM
You gonna flush the oil again once you've done a few hundred miles? Mind you, the internals are probably mint now!

Kieran
28-11-2005, 11:36 PM
So, how does one replace the shells then? Big job? Special tools needed? :inquisiti

psbarham
28-11-2005, 11:38 PM
So, how does one replace the shells then? Big job? Special tools needed? :inquisiti
nah its a peice of pi$$ really , i rather do the big ends and mains on one of these than the fooking alternator /grr

strangebat
29-11-2005, 12:03 AM

its not that bad, as Mo found out it's actually easier with the engine in the car the only special tool reqd is a good torque wrench for the putbacktogether. The only other thing I would recommend is a warm garage :rolleyes4 the drive is not the place to be when it's snowing /help

amsoil
29-11-2005, 12:22 AM
Big fingers crossed on the bearings, when the little tags on the end are flattened as in the pic it means that the bearing has spun..... Usually then needs new rods or resizing of the originals if they look okish. Lets hope you are lucky.