PDA

View Full Version : Brembo discs what size?

Louis
16-11-2005, 03:58 PM
Hi folks,
What size of discs are people using with brembo evo 4 pot calipers?, can we go right up to 320mm when changing standard front set up to brembo or is there a limitation size wise?, any info appreciated, also what are the standard evo discs like on our cars?, cheers Louis

Nick Mann
16-11-2005, 05:57 PM
Standard Evo discs are fine. (Ask Wouter!!)

The limitation wheel wise is not so much with the disc/rim as with the caliper/spokes. You need the right offset and spoke design to fit over the caliper.

SGHOM has 18's, but the spokes only clear the face of the caliper by about 1mm!!

bernmc
16-11-2005, 07:18 PM
If you're buying a new set of discs, the std brembo's are stupid money for a plain disc, so I wouldn't bother with them. There are several ebay traders selling two-part discs, but I don't know how good they are.

The discs with the best reputation so far on MLR are made by Performance Friction - not cheap @ just over 400 quid for a set, but worth it by the sounds of things!

Camskill do discs too, and I think they're rebranded nationals (the rears definitely are nationals), so they're another option if you need something a bit cheaper.

As Nick says, wheel issues are with the caliper, not the disc. Any wheel that will fit an EVO 6 or later should be fine.

Louis
16-11-2005, 10:11 PM
Hi,
No worries with wheel clearence of caliper, I was just wondering about disc size, I got the brembos with no discs, and I know there are a few sizes available, I take it that the discs and calipers are not matched, i.e. a caliper from a 295mm disc will fit on a 330mm disc, and therefore any size disc I get will fit the calipers that I have??. also, the cheapest option would be a set of standard discs from an evo (that someone has upgraded), just not sure how they would last with a legnum (weight etc), again any info thankfully received, cheers Louis

Nick Mann
17-11-2005, 09:49 PM
I got standard discs with pagid blue pads with my calipers. They are wearing well and doing the job very well. No issues so far.

jerryd_33
17-11-2005, 11:22 PM
The 330mm are fine but for some cheap PERFORMANCE ones go to

sales@grahamgoode.com / www.grahamgoode.com

they have dimpled / grooved ones. I have fitted them on my car, but as has been said you need to have good clearance from your wheels for calipers and discs.
Hope they still have them available!!!

Louis
18-11-2005, 10:31 AM
Hi, cheers everyone, so to sum up:

When doing a brembo brake upgrade on a pre facelift VR4 you need:

hub carriers (from a post facelift VR4),
abs sensors, (from a post facelift VR4),
wheels that have enough clearance for the brenbo calipers (from an evo)
longer brake flexi pipes ( VR4 ones are a bit tight)
Brake discs from an evo, or for an evo, (You cannot use brembo calipers with standard VR4 front discs),
brake pads for the calipers,

Is that all correct or am I missing something?

One more question, will the brembo rear calipers from an evo fit on to the rear of a VR4 with no modifications? ( I think? the flexi pipes need changing?)

cheers again, Louis

bernmc
18-11-2005, 03:52 PM
And some brake fluid.

WRT brembos going onto the rears, mo (zedy) has done this. I had a look, but found that part of the caliper scrapes on the disc (mo said he noticed a bit of scraping for a while which setlled - probably because the offending bit wore away :D). Anyway, I've left mine off until I can get some of the right size disc - I'd need some new pads anyway, and the std disc would wear half the pad only, meaning I'd need new pads again when I got the right discs.

Not sure about needing new hoses - I have a set of braded lines anyway, so didn;t check.

Louis
18-11-2005, 07:48 PM
[I'd need some new pads anyway, and the std disc would wear half the pad only,]

So does that mean that the rear evo discs are required as well?.

I remember from the braided brake line thread that the fronts with brembos were two inches longer, cheers Louis

bernmc
18-11-2005, 08:57 PM
So does that mean that the rear evo discs are required as well?.

IMHO, yes, but as I said, some members here are running std discs with the brembos...

Nick Mann
18-11-2005, 09:02 PM
Get some braided hoses. PM Polabear for his contact - you can't beat the product at that price!!

The rears will go on no problem, but get the discs as well. You will have to remove the dust shield from the hub carrier on the rears.

Louis
19-11-2005, 01:15 AM
already ordered! ta for all the info, I'll let you all know when I have gathered all the bits, cheers Louis

pezza
13-12-2005, 04:49 PM
Hi, cheers everyone, so to sum up:

When doing a brembo brake upgrade on a pre facelift VR4 you need:

hub carriers (from a post facelift VR4),
abs sensors, (from a post facelift VR4),
wheels that have enough clearance for the brenbo calipers (from an evo)
longer brake flexi pipes ( VR4 ones are a bit tight)
Brake discs from an evo, or for an evo, (You cannot use brembo calipers with standard VR4 front discs),
brake pads for the calipers,

Is that all correct or am I missing something?

Just to add:

Isn't there the question of different bolts required due to the length and thread/pitch or something? /Hmmm

Louis is this on your list too? To be done after the suspension? :thumbsup:

ghanda
13-12-2005, 06:34 PM
Yup - as I understand it, a VR4 Braided hose kit won't fit on to Brembo rears as on the VR4 the brake hose screws in, whereas on the Brembo it bolts on top. You'll need an Evo braided hose kit.
Speak to Alyn at AS Performance - He does a Goodridge kit for £55
www.asperformance.com

Nick Mann
13-12-2005, 08:09 PM
To agree with Ghanda, the rear pipes will need to be changed as the brembos need a banjo fitting at the rear, whereas the VR4 calipers are not. Pola's mate does the hose kit a few quid cheaper than the goodridge kit quoted above, braided with a choice of coloured coatings.

To clarify for Pezza, the front calipers need a different bolt to the VR4 calipers. The thread is different on the Brembos as compared to the VR4 standard calipers.

bernmc
15-03-2006, 12:07 AM
To agree with Ghanda, the rear pipes will need to be changed as the brembos need a banjo fitting at the rear, whereas the VR4 calipers are not. Pola's mate does the hose kit a few quid cheaper than the goodridge kit quoted above, braided with a choice of coloured coatings.

Actually, ther brembo flavour of Pola's mate's hoses cost £56 - the std VR4 length were £45, so money-wise there's nothing in it. Not sure about quality of the goodridges as compared to the Pola's. I got clear coating, and am very happy with them.

Louis
15-03-2006, 01:03 PM
Just to add:

Isn't there the question of different bolts required due to the length and thread/pitch or something? /Hmmm

Louis is this on your list too? To be done after the suspension? :thumbsup:

Hi,
Yes, the bolts, I forgot to mention them as I got yhem with the Brembos that I got, but yes the bolts for the brembo fronts are longer, if you don't have them you can get them (anywhere!) from your mitsy dealer.

Also Exact engineering will do kits for Brembo front and VR4 rear.

cheers for the correction, Louis

Ps. suspension all done, I did a write up on it (I think I called it Fitted my D2 coil overs), if you can't find it just shout and I will dig it out.