PDA

View Full Version : Boost Controller Installation (again!)

bernmc
17-11-2005, 07:15 PM
Just been reading throught the boost controller fitting threads, and all the pics have gone, so I assume they were on the earlier site, now lost in translation...?

Does anyone have any VR4 fitting pics, or alternatively an explanation of exactly where the actuator and solenoid bits can be found (in slow block capitals please!).

Also, where is the best place to pic up the 12V feed from the 'acc' position of the ignition, and finally, the 12V feed for the sidelights (to power up the controller when the car is switched on, and to switch over to night mode respectively)....?

Doc Halfwit:rolleyes4

pezza
17-11-2005, 07:25 PM
Just been reading throught the boost controller fitting threads, and all the pics have gone, so I assume they were on the earlier site, now lost in translation...?

Does anyone have any VR4 fitting pics, or alternatively an explanation of exactly where the actuator and solenoid bits can be found (in slow block capitals please!).

Also, where is the best place to pic up the 12V feed from the 'acc' position of the ignition, and finally, the 12V feed for the sidelights (to power up the controller when the car is switched on, and to switch over to night mode respectively)....?

Doc Halfwit:rolleyes4

You have at last caved in to the boost nuts on here :thumbsup:

Wot unit are ya fitting? :inquisiti

bernmc
17-11-2005, 08:26 PM
You have at last caved in to the boost nuts on here :thumbsup:

Wot unit are ya fitting? :inquisiti
None at the moment, but I'm making plans..! Actually, I want to be able to turn the boost down while I'm blatting up & down that bl00dy M6...

Wodjno
17-11-2005, 08:38 PM
None at the moment, but I'm making plans..! Actually, I want to be able to turn the boost down while I'm blatting up & down that bl00dy M6...

Thats easily done with any boost controller.. /yes

It's called your foot.. :evil2:

If you don't ram your foot down then you can drive it the same as you drive yours now.. :happy:

AllBeItMine
17-11-2005, 08:56 PM
i would wire it into the the back of your stereo - your stereo will have both 12v constant and 12volt ACC activated switch. And it will be nice and close to fit it in one of your DIN slots.

your boost control - not that i know which one it is but i am assuming that it is electronic and will have 3 ports

1 is to get the signal of how much boost your car is running
2 is to get the boost pressure in
3 is to send the altered boost pressure out to the wastegate actuators.
4 (possibly) for the left over boost to go back into the air intake system before the turbos

now - number 1. you need to T this in after the throttle butterfly so that your boost controller reads both negative and positive boost. One of the easiest lines to get to is the feed at the back of manifold that goes to the BOV.

disclaimer - this is dependant on your BOV not leaking which sometimes the stock ones tend to do.

now for number 2,3,4 this picture will be really handy
http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/VR4-docs/vr4engine/E_2.jpg

If you have a close look on the black plastic elbow, there is a rubber line with a red tip. this one goes to your factory boost controller solenoid. Once you have removed the black elbow, you will get a clear look at it. It works in exactly the same way as prescribed above for th aftermarket EBC's so all you need to do is remove the lines from it and plug the lines back into your aftermarket EBC in the same fashion.

don't un-wire the stock one or it might make your ECU throw some error codes.

after you have done this you can have a play.

bernmc
17-11-2005, 09:50 PM
TA - just what i need.

bernmc
28-11-2005, 12:19 PM
A couple more q's:

Where does our fuel pressure regulator solenoid sit?

Do we internal or external wastegates?

Kieran
28-11-2005, 01:32 PM
Remove the engine cover and as you look in the engine bay, i think it's to one side of the fuel rail - the right side I think.

Wastegates are internal (ie: part of the turbo and not mounted further downstream).

What you got then? HKS EVC IV perchance?

bernmc
28-11-2005, 02:18 PM
What you got then? HKS EVC IV perchance?
Negatory, SK. Why be a sheep (baaaaaaaa). I've got a Power Enterprises device - nice and simple for the simple-minded!

Nick Mann
28-11-2005, 02:52 PM

Have you got a boost gauge? You don't have much boost in there under cruise conditions on the motorway. Good luck with the Controller installation. Got yourself a g-tech yet?! :p

bernmc
28-11-2005, 03:04 PM
Have you got a boost gauge? You don't have much boost in there under cruise conditions on the motorway. Good luck with the Controller installation. Got yourself a g-tech yet?! :p
It's a hybrid guage/controller, and yes, I have a g-tech!

jakester
28-11-2005, 08:27 PM
ooh, thats a bit nice looking, I will be heading down this road soon, just picked up a Greddy Profec E01 :)