PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Suppliers???

pezza
21-11-2005, 01:10 AM
Hmm with the roads getting the way are are getting as winter draws in I think its about time for some new tyres... mine are getting very low :anxious: Had 2 scary sideways incidents today ...one not intended /pan And this is me only posting, not days ago, that I had hardly ever got the TCL warning or wheelspun etc /help.

Currently got the standard issue FQ Yoko tyres A046 (I think).. Really hard tyre thick tyre wall on a 235 17. superb for cornering! Great tyres even though they do growl and drone a bit :D

Not tried the goodyears yet but wondered what those currently running 235s were using?

Any recommended suppliers for good prices on a set of four?

On a side issue:

As great as the auto box is .... I still dont like the way you cant disengage power to the wheels immediately like you can with a manual/clutch. esp after my near 90degree spin on a roundabout tonight which sent me heading towards the brick wall in the centre! :shocked: (Had same thing in my auto carlton gsi). I have never seen the VR4 dash light up so brighly during driving LOL..

Spirit
21-11-2005, 01:28 AM
Mytyres always seem competitive: http://www.mytyres.co.uk/

However, I get a better deal with my local Protyre depot (Gupa-P) in Plymouth

Nick Mann
21-11-2005, 10:53 AM
Running 235/45/17 Falken F451's. No complaints so far, but nothing to compare them with either in that size! Handles and grips much better than the 225/50/16 Avon ZZ1's that were on the factory rims before.

I-S
21-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Kumho Ecsta KU31 have got excellent reviews and are well priced. I've recently got KH15s all around on my GLS and they're better than the P6000s I had before and half the price.

Call a local Kumho centre though, because they were cheaper than mytyres and that included fitting, balancing and valving.

Otherwise, Goodyear Excellence are getting good reviews also.

Wouter
21-11-2005, 11:43 AM
Stay away from Tornado Alpha's!!

They are ok in the Dry but make the wet very interesting.

To give you an example, in the wet going round a round-about at 30mph, all three AYC lights come on..... and my don't even have AYC!

Needless to say.... many brown marks in the drivers seat! /pan

pezza
21-11-2005, 11:48 AM
Stay away from Tornado Alpha's!!

They are ok in the Dry but make the wet very interesting.

To give you an example, in the wet going round a round-about at 30mph, all three AYC lights come on..... and my don't even have AYC!

Needless to say.... many brown marks in the drivers seat! /pan

Cheers for the feedback guys...

Noted wouter.... Would you say that you are a wreckless driver by any chance? :evil2: Jokin... obv :D

I may try the falkens.. Nick are these the 94Y's?

ghanda
21-11-2005, 12:25 PM
Running P Zero Rossa's in a 235 width as summer tyres and Bridgestone SO3's (again 235/45/17) as winters at the moment.
Picked up a brand new set of P Zeros in 225/45/17's (Literally brand new!) for a rather cheap £260 which will be my other set of Winter tyres :)

Derek - have a word with Terry at Terry's Tyres in South Harrow. Top bloke, knows his stuff - first pointed my in the direction of Hankook tyres I'd never heard of and they suited my BM perfectly.
Mention me, you might get a discount ;)

Wouter
21-11-2005, 01:07 PM
Noted wouter.... Would you say that you are a wreckless driver by any chance? :evil2: Jokin... obv :D

No.... not really..... well maybe..... ok yes! /Steeringw

pezza
21-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Derek - have a word with Terry at Terry's Tyres in South Harrow. Top bloke, knows his stuff - first pointed my in the direction of Hankook tyres I'd never heard of and they suited my BM perfectly.
Mention me, you might get a discount ;)

Cheers... Yeh I know Terrys Tyres , they are round the corner from me have had work done there a good few times.. They seem kewl in there...

How are you finding the bridgestones?

Nick what load rating are the Falkens? 94? or 97??

Nick Mann
21-11-2005, 02:24 PM
Nick what load rating are the Falkens? 94? or 97??

I think they are 94? I'll check later. That is plenty for the leggie anyway!

pezza
21-11-2005, 02:41 PM
OK .. sounds good.. I have seen those falkens for about 77 I think...

Pirellis are closer to 90ish I think... I need a set of four too :inquisiti

vampirej
21-11-2005, 04:55 PM
Kwit Fit often do deals on set of 4 tyres like get 3 and 1 free, on continental or pirellis. Just thought I'd mention it...

pezza
21-11-2005, 05:41 PM
Kwit Fit often do deals on set of 4 tyres like get 3 and 1 free, on continental or pirellis. Just thought I'd mention it...

All right ... /Hmmm I have just ordered a set via Camskill arrive tomorrow....
Apparently the tyres currently on the car are dry trackday tyres which may explain the *lets play in the wet* behaviour this weekend /duh

Paul Beazer
21-11-2005, 09:48 PM
National Tyre are doing buy 1 get 1 half price on some Avon tyres.

WildCards
21-11-2005, 11:31 PM
F1 Autocentres have good prices in my experience, and if you go via there website you can download vouchers.

pezza
22-11-2005, 01:38 AM
Thanks for the info.. I have ordered some ZZ3 avons... 68 quid each down from 94 so lets see if they get me through the winter and are up to the task! I have read some mixed and downright scary reviews about the ZZ1's.

I should get em delivered to work tomorro! :anxious:

Wodjno
22-11-2005, 01:40 AM
Thanks for the info.. I have ordered some ZZ3 avons... 68 quid each down from 94 so lets see if they get me through the winter and are up to the task! I have read some mixed and downright scary reviews about the ZZ1's.

I should get em delivered to work tomorro! :anxious:

Any idea how it would be for 18's (225) 40's /Hmmm

pezza
22-11-2005, 01:41 AM
Not sure... but thought I would be guinea pig for these...

I can find out tomorrow how much 18s wud be? BTW that 68 quid includes delivery and VAT :thumbsup:

Or too good to be true? :inquisiti /Hmmm

Wodjno
22-11-2005, 02:32 AM
Not sure... but thought I would be guinea pig for these...

I can find out tomorrow how much 18s wud be? BTW that 68 quid includes delivery and VAT :thumbsup:

Or too good to be true? :inquisiti /Hmmm

Just read this review on those tyres Derek ..

The Avon ZZ3 is another performance tyre from Avon. Since the development of their directional pattern they have achieved an excellent reputation amongst the discerning performance driver. The Avon ZZ3 is the older brother of the Avon ZV3, the smaller and slower speed rated tyre. The ride quality is good and the Avon ZZ3 sticks to the road like glue although this tyre can sometimes be a little hard in wet and icy road conditions – we like the life offered by the Avon aswell, compared to most of its competitors it lasts a little longer, although the The natural competitor to the Avon is the Toyo Proxes T1-R and the Falken ZE512 which is comparable on performance and costs quite a bit

Roadrunner
22-11-2005, 12:07 PM
I have ordered some ZZ3 avons...
I had a set of these on my last car, they're pretty good, nice directional pattern and shifted water well. Couldn't get another set when I cam to change so ended up with Vredestein Ultracs which are very good too. Then had a set of Vredestein Sportacs on my new car and just about to change them for another set of Ultracs.

pezza
22-11-2005, 12:15 PM
I had a set of these on my last car, they're pretty good, nice directional pattern and shifted water well. Couldn't get another set when I cam to change so ended up with Vredestein Ultracs which are very good too. Then had a set of Vredestein Sportacs on my new car and just about to change them for another set of Ultracs.

Camskill had these too.... will check the price of those...

Can you remember how much you paid for the Avons? How long ago was it?
Any indication on the mileage you got from these?

Cheers

Roadrunner
22-11-2005, 04:54 PM
Camskill had these too.... will check the price of those...

Can you remember how much you paid for the Avons? How long ago was it?
Any indication on the mileage you got from these?

Cheers
The Avons were more than two years ago and cost me, IIRC, £400 fitted and balanced. Got 13k out of the Avon ZZ-3s, 14k, 13k and 9k out of Toyo Proxes T1-S, 20k out of the Vredestein Ultracs :) , 18k out of the Vredestein Sportracs ...

pezza
22-11-2005, 04:59 PM
The Avons were more than two years ago and cost me, IIRC, £400 fitted and balanced. Got 13k out of the Avon ZZ-3s, 14k, 13k and 9k out of Toyo Proxes T1-S, 20k out of the Vredestein Ultracs :) , 18k out of the Vredestein Sportracs ...

ANd that compares to about 6 - 8 thousand out of the Yokos.... 20K out of the Ultracs is amazing... and do you rag the car lots? :inquisiti

Roadrunner
22-11-2005, 06:00 PM
do you rag the car lots? :inquisiti
No, I don't, but I do drive it quickly ;) I do a 70-mile return commute each day on a combination of A roads and city, but that only accounts for around 17k of the 30k miles I do each year. Have been known to do the odd track day but nothing too damaging on the tyres. I was impressed with the Ultracs too, especially because their wet weather grip is good too, which is why I'm going for another set :D

pezza
22-11-2005, 06:30 PM
No, I don't, but I do drive it quickly ;) I do a 70-mile return commute each day on a combination of A roads and city, but that only accounts for around 17k of the 30k miles I do each year. Have been known to do the odd track day but nothing too damaging on the tyres. I was impressed with the Ultracs too, especially because their wet weather grip is good too, which is why I'm going for another set :D

Goodo :thumbsup: May try these next time... Would hate to guess how many time you visit the petrol station per week or how much yer monthly fuel bills are!! :rolleyes4 o

Japow
22-11-2005, 11:40 PM
Ordered a set of goodyear F1s from my-tyres a month ago - they debited my car twice (only just got my money back) and the tyres have disappeared into thin air - most probably nicked by the parcel line delivery driver as the claimed delivery address is incomprehensible.

My-tyres & the courier are faffing about trying to find the tyres while all the time i'm being inconvenienced (missed my SVA test date) & it's beginning to get right on my nerves. Cheap & cheerful is not always the best way & i doubt i'll be using them again.

Roadrunner
22-11-2005, 11:54 PM
Would hate to guess how many time you visit the petrol station per week or how much yer monthly fuel bills are!! :rolleyes4 o
Generally three times a week :rolleyes4 but I have, on occasion, filled up three times in a day! :o If I really thought about how much I burn in a month, I'd probably take to :5shots: :d

stevec205gti
23-11-2005, 02:02 PM
Ordered a set of goodyear F1s from my-tyres a month ago - they debited my car twice (only just got my money back) and the tyres have disappeared into thin air - most probably nicked by the parcel line delivery driver as the claimed delivery address is incomprehensible.

My-tyres & the courier are faffing about trying to find the tyres while all the time i'm being inconvenienced (missed my SVA test date) & it's beginning to get right on my nerves. Cheap & cheerful is not always the best way & i doubt i'll be using them again.

I had exactly the same problem with a set of Eagle f1's for my 205 - one set magically disappeared when they should have been delivered. It turned out they were signed for by someone who didn't even exist at the delivery address (had to have them sent to my wifes work).

Can't fault the tyres though - the feedback and grip in the wet is great. They don't last forever, though they're not too bad - I'm on my third set on the front, but still the first on the rear, over about 30k - and that's enthusiastic driving :thumbsup:

They're definately what I'll be getting when the Galant tyres are up for renewal.

Wodjno
23-11-2005, 03:30 PM
Will be changing mine around March time.. The GSD3's have served me well .. /yes Good dry grip, great wet grip.. and great wear rate.. /yes
Think i'm gonna try the Toyo proxesTR1's next time though as they have excellent reviews.. Non yo cheap thou :inquisiti