PDA

View Full Version : Volcano Doom!

Brind
10-09-2003, 05:15 PM
America's Yellowstone Park is a beautiful natural wilderness and destination for millions of tourists every year. Yet beneath the park lies a super-volcano that could wipe out the human race - and its latest eruption is overdue.

Scientists fear the super-volcano is preparing to erupt. The warning was signalled yesterday by Professor Bill McGuire of the Benfield Greig Hazard Research Centre at University College, London.

"The Yellowstone super-volcano has been on a regular eruption cycle of 600,000 years," said Professor McGuire. "The last eruption was 640,000 years ago, so the next is long overdue."

Such an eruption would wipe out all life within 600 miles including the cities of Las Vegas, Seattle, Vancouver, Salt Lake City, Phoenix and Denver. There would be enough ash thrown into the atmosphere to block out the sun, causing global temperatures to plummet.

In late July part of Yellowstone was closed due to increased seismic activity in the area, including high ground temperature and volatile thermal springs. One of the US Geological Survey scientists, Liz Morgan, then discovered a huge bulge under Yellowstone Lake which was 2,000 feet long and had raised the bottom by 100 feet. The bulge has the potential to explode at any time.

"The inflated plain is a potential and serious hazard and possible precursor to a large hydrothermal explosion," Ms Morgan told a local newspaper.

Last month an earthquake of 4.4 on the Richter scale was measured in the south of the park. It seems the volcano is beginning a new period of activity. New York University geologist Michael Rampino, said, "It's not really a question of if it'll go off, it's a question of when."

Professor McGuire highlighted the epic scale of a super-volcano eruption. "The impact of a Yellowstone eruption is terrifying to comprehend," he said. "Molten rock would be flung 30 miles into the atmosphere.

"One thousand cubic kilometres of lava would pour out of the of the volcano, enough to coat the whole of the USA with a layer five inches thick. The explosion would be the loudest noise heard by man for 75,000 years.

"One day - perhaps tomorrow, perhaps in 50 years, perhaps in 10,000 years - it will erupt...bringing the bitter cold of a volcanic winter to planet Earth. Mankind may become extinct. There's nowhere to hide from the effects of a super-volcano."

-----------------------------

Looks like we are gonna be made extint yet again, if this Super Volcano doesn't wipe us out in the mean time we can always look forward to the giant Asteroid on March 21, 2014... mind you, party at Nicks on the 20th!! should be a day NOT to remember for long. :D

SGHOM
10-09-2003, 05:22 PM
not thought about bringing santa pod forward a day or two ??? just in case ??:D :D

Brind
10-09-2003, 05:25 PM
We already did mate, it was today and what a great day we all had too... sorry we forgot to tell you. :INSERT INTO post VALUES ( :D

SGHOM
10-09-2003, 05:46 PM
I was involved in an eartquake scare many years go whilst on holiday in turkey. It happened in the middle of the night & apparantly measured 6 on the richter scale :Eek1: :nervous: I was "romancing " the wife at the time & it scared the s**t out of me !! & nearly woke the wife up !!!:D :D :D

Nick VR4
10-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Dante's Peak on the TV 2nite :D ;)

Brind
10-09-2003, 06:04 PM
LOL! :D

Sort of been in an earthquake too, back in 94, Los Angeles was hit by that big earthquake causing freeways and mulit story car parks to collapse, we went over there on holiday shortly after and saw the devastation, we went to Magic Mountain the rollercoaster theme park and while driving we came across a freeway that had collapsed, it was originally going over the top of the road we were on... but you could see where it had broken etc.. it was very erie.
We also saw the car park that had collapsed on one of the days too.
They were suffering minor aftershocks for quite a while after.. we were apparently having one at one point but we didn't even notice.:D I guess when you are used to them happening you know what it feels like.

Just found info on that quake too: http://www.swaminarayan.org/activities/relief/equake94.htm

Spirit
10-09-2003, 10:30 PM
If it ain't one thing it's another !

Hope me new wheels arrive first so I get a little pleasure out of them :D