PDA

View Full Version : turbo timer

Robotnik123
21-11-2005, 12:34 PM
Hi all,

I just pruchased a 1999 Legnum VR4 Type-S. It's black, has 65,000kms on the clock and appears in good condition.

Can anyone tell me how to tell if it has a turbo timer or not? I notice when I turn off the ignition that the car sometimes beeps for 5-10 seconds - is this a sign that it has a timer?

Thanks!

Brunty
21-11-2005, 12:43 PM
Doubt it - a turbo timer will keep the engine idling for a preset length of time after you've turned the ignition off.

These cars will beep at you forever just 'cos they're Japanese, I know they beep for the following reasons:

You've left the lights on
You've selected reverse
The outside temperature is low (below freezing?)
I've removed the face-off plate on the stereo

But I know there are probably dozens of other things my VR4 is trying to tell me when it sets off beeping. I'm gonna search for a definative list on here.

Steve

Nick Mann
21-11-2005, 02:31 PM
My turbo timer beeps. But as Mr. Brunt says, the engine keeps running too! They are not normally hidden as they usually have controls to govern how long the engine runs for. Sometimes you want the engine to stop quickly!!

Roadrunner
21-11-2005, 03:09 PM
I notice when I turn off the ignition that the car sometimes beeps for 5-10 seconds
Probably the alarm system. The Cobra system on my car does this (although the Cobra system on my previous car didn't ;) )

Robotnik123
22-11-2005, 08:58 AM
My turbo timer beeps. But as Mr. Brunt says, the engine keeps running too! They are not normally hidden as they usually have controls to govern how long the engine runs for. Sometimes you want the engine to stop quickly!!

Well I definitely have a turbo timer. The beeping was the timer, it is just that I had my foot on the brake pedal and this automatically turns the engine off (but the thing still beeps). If I don't touch the brake pedal the engine runs for 1 minute with the ignition off. Anyway, still can't find the controller. Where might the they have hidden it? This is a 1999 Type-S Legnum VR-4 by the way.

Brunty
22-11-2005, 10:01 AM
it is just that I had my foot on the brake pedal and this automatically turns the engine off

I hadn't realised you could have them setup like this - cool feature :thumbsup:

_simon_
22-11-2005, 10:19 AM
The timer is probably in the steering colom area or just inside the right hand side of the console. Alternatively if it has an alarm the timer maybe built into that.

vampirej
22-11-2005, 11:38 PM
The timer is probably in the steering colom area or just inside the right hand side of the console. Alternatively if it has an alarm the timer maybe built into that.
I'm looking at one of these... does anyone know how easy to fit an alarm for the car? As for the beep, mine only does it when I don't remove the head unit face and I think only Sony does it.

Wodjno
22-11-2005, 11:42 PM
Where might the they have hidden it? This is a 1999 Type-S Legnum VR-4 by the way.

Have you tried the little coin tray to the right of the steering column at :angry: Knee Level /Hmmm

bernmc
23-11-2005, 12:12 AM
If it's one of the standard aftermarket devices, they're usually wired into the ignition loom - if you get on your knees and peer up under the dash in the steering wheel area, you should see the white connector, and a separate black wire for the brake/gear cut out. Should be able to follow these to the timer itself.

I can take a photo of the connector if you get desperate.

jaimz
23-11-2005, 01:44 AM
Hey dudes,
I think Simon may be onto it - sounds like an alarm with a timer built in.
I've got one on my car and it works very well.
It's a dual immobiliser alarm and the unit basically has a chip which keeps the igition immobiliser inactive for 1 or 3 minutes, i.e. the primary immobiliser is still active.
Good system. It's a Dynatron 7800, but I have a feeling it's made locally in NZ.

Hope that helps you guys. :-)