PDA

View Full Version : Help Gearbox / wife problems

Slimshady
22-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Help – I’ve been away in Canada for the past month and South Birmingham for a month or so before that – I have come back to a very sick car – which wife has been driving whist away.

I suspected a clutch problem – burnt asbestos smell and slipping drive

Taken her to Mr Clutch (car not wife) and they are now telling me I have a gearbox problem – the clutch apparently looks good (done recently). I am now waiting for the gearbox department to get back to me.

Q.
Why did I smell burnt clutch.
Why did I experience clutch problems / symptoms and
Why the F”#% did I allow my wife to drive the car whilst away for the past 2 – 3 months

P.S. if anyone knows where I can get a new / reconditioned manual gearbox please let me know.

Slim

Kieran
22-11-2005, 10:21 PM
Contact Zedy1 on here - the man o'many parts! :thumbsup:

Paul Beazer
22-11-2005, 10:25 PM
Mo (zedy1) might be worth a try in his store shed heaven?

psbarham
22-11-2005, 10:34 PM
Mo hasn't got one , i asked for some reason /Hmmm on sunday

Funkstar
22-11-2005, 10:53 PM
[QUOTE=Slimshady]Why the F”#% did I allow my wife to drive the car whilst away for the past 2 – 3 months

The power of boobs. Gets me every time...............It's the devils work :evil2:

Kenneth
22-11-2005, 10:56 PM
Help – I’ve been away in Canada for the past month and South Birmingham for a month or so before that – I have come back to a very sick car – which wife has been driving whist away.

I suspected a clutch problem – burnt asbestos smell and slipping drive

Taken her to Mr Clutch (car not wife) and they are now telling me I have a gearbox problem – the clutch apparently looks good (done recently). I am now waiting for the gearbox department to get back to me.

Q.
Why did I smell burnt clutch.
Why did I experience clutch problems / symptoms and
Why the F”#% did I allow my wife to drive the car whilst away for the past 2 – 3 months

P.S. if anyone knows where I can get a new / reconditioned manual gearbox please let me know.

Slim

I would get another opinion. there are no "slipping" parts in a manual gearbox, eithier it works or it doesn't. any problems usually make a noise or vibration. take out the inspection plug and check the plug for metal shavings is usually a good indication of if you have gearbox problems.

My dads subaru used to suffer excessive clutch slippage for about a week after trying to reverse up a steep hill/driveway... if your clutch "looks" ok, maybe its contaminated or something?

Slimshady
23-11-2005, 12:03 AM
I would get another opinion. there are no "slipping" parts in a manual gearbox, eithier it works or it doesn't. any problems usually make a noise or vibration. take out the inspection plug and check the plug for metal shavings is usually a good indication of if you have gearbox problems.

My dads subaru used to suffer excessive clutch slippage for about a week after trying to reverse up a steep hill/driveway... if your clutch "looks" ok, maybe its contaminated or something?

Totally agree that’s why I can’t figure it out….

Either the clutch / flywheel is slipping or the gears are so mashed, slipping is happening because there are no teeth left on the main drive gear

Slim

Slimshady
23-11-2005, 12:08 AM
[QUOTE=Slimshady]Why the F”#% did I allow my wife to drive the car whilst away for the past 2 – 3 months

The power of boobs. Gets me every time...............It's the devils work :evil2:

Ok she has nice gazoobers but that no excuse to mess with a man's car

agree with me someone

amsoil
23-11-2005, 12:09 AM
Never had a burning smell from a manual tranny. Not even whan they had suffered catastrophic failure. No drive maybe tranny failure but slip no sir!

The Vee
23-11-2005, 12:26 AM
Agree with amsoil but on your point, no sorry, BOOBIES :leer:

Mikesone
23-11-2005, 12:59 AM
Slim
Lost third gear in my VR4 Manual recently, got quotes of £2300 for new/reconditioned gearbox from Mitsi.
Took the car to GBH in Colchester and they replaced the Clutch, fitted new cambelt and stripped and repaired the gearbox along with a full service with AYC for £1400( I thinkthe gearbox was about £700).
Only had the car back a month or so but after 2K miles it running best it run for ages.

Don't know if this helps at all, but food for thought.

regards Mike

Dream Weaver
23-11-2005, 02:27 PM
The power of boobs. Gets me every time...............It's the devils work

Saw on a mug the other day "Breasts are proof God is male " :leer: :leer: :leer: :leer:

Wodjno
23-11-2005, 03:27 PM
/haz
Saw on a mug the other day "Breasts are proof God is male " :leer: :leer: :leer: :leer:

enigma
23-11-2005, 03:32 PM
Ok she has nice gazoobers but that no excuse to mess with a man's car

agree with me someone

Pictures? ;)

Slimshady
23-11-2005, 11:28 PM
Hang on – I originally posted with problems with the cars gearbox…….. now you all want to see pictures of my wife’s knockers – WTF is that all about – tell you what if someone gives me a fully working gearbox for the car I will give them pic’s of some very nice boobies – fair exchange?

Roberto
23-11-2005, 11:33 PM
I'll give you a picture of a perfectly working gearbox in exchange for some really nice booooobies............ :evil2:

Wodjno
23-11-2005, 11:46 PM
/yes :beerbang: :o
Hang on – I originally posted with problems with the cars gearbox…….. now you all want to see pictures of my wife’s knockers – ?

psbarham
23-11-2005, 11:48 PM
Hang on – I originally posted with problems with the cars gearbox…….. now you all want to see pictures of my wife’s knockers – WTF is that all about
seems perfectally reasonable to me , bring on the boobs i say :thumbsup:

Paul Beazer
24-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Mmmmmmmmm breasts!

Whats a gearbox....?

Kenneth
24-11-2005, 07:56 PM
Mmmmmmmmm breasts!

Whats a gearbox....?

Its that bit that has a stick comming out if it that you slide back and forth :inquisiti

zentac
24-11-2005, 10:22 PM
Back on topic... Im looking for one as well. If I find one I will let you have it in exchange for your knackered one. (gearbox Im talking about as well)

Slimshady
24-11-2005, 10:55 PM
Its that bit that has a stick comming out if it that you slide back and forth :inquisiti

Gearbox NOT penis!!!! – is sex all you guys can think about……… hang on ……............................................ .................................................. .................................................. ....................................

ooh yah sorry got distracted…………. Gearbox wasn’t it………. Not bobs!!!!!!

Cant remember now too busy thinking about boobs and fluff, err stuff.

Paul Beazer
25-11-2005, 12:37 PM
ooh yah sorry got distracted…………. Gearbox wasn’t it………. Not bobs!!!!!!

Bob's what??? /pan

Slimshady
26-11-2005, 12:37 PM
Ok the garage has now come back to me with their verdict

The whole transmission is totally FUBAR’ed (fecked up beyond all recognition)

They are quoting me £1600 to replace the gearbox, fly wheel and clutch – all in all this seams like a far price but I am not sure if it is worth spending on a 1998 model with close to 100K on the clock.

I therefore have 3 options:

1. Repair the car & hope I have no more problems with it i.e. run it into the ground
2. Sell the car as is for breaking
3. Break it my self and sell the parts on the site or ebay

If anyone has a view on this and can tell me if its worth parting with the cash let me know.

Slim

amsoil
26-11-2005, 01:14 PM
Seems all mysterious to me; can't get it through my little brain why the flywheel would need to be changed? Maybe skimmed, now if the clutch was knackered why change the gearbox? But I can see the logic in changing a worn clutch if you have a knackered gearbox out to change. Or am I reading this all wrong? Doesn't anyone strip and rebuild these boxes? Or should an old gearbox bloke think about getting more seriously involved with these cars?

Kieran
26-11-2005, 03:36 PM
Or should an old gearbox bloke think about getting more seriously involved with these cars?

/yes /yes /yes /yes /yes /yes /yes /yes /yes /yes /yes /yes /yes /yes /yes

There is very little knowledge out there - which is odd as the information is there.

The V6 Galants seem to munch input shaft bearings on the manuals at about 100K.... The Autos like to strip their torque converter /output shaft splines.

VR-4s tend to make curly wurlys of their output shafts much as the EVOs do. The autos also have a tedency for an internal circlip to come loose which shafts some of the clutch packs. THey are also known to shudder, but this is often caused by old or incorrect ATF (which either Lubeguard or Amsoil ATF solves).

I hasten to add that I'm making it sound like the gearbox is the weak link on these cars. In some ways that's right, but they only tend to go when they've seen a lot of action (100K miles plus, usually).