PDA

View Full Version : Flexing Chassis???!?!?!?!

scc
22-11-2005, 10:20 PM
Had Kwik-fit to put on some replacement front alloys today.

They jacked up the car on both sides, on what looked like two beams down near the centre of car.

Whilst it was jacked up, I couldn't open the driverside door...and realised that the door had 'bent' upwards by about 2mm....i.e. the chassis was flexing/bending.... is this normal?????????????????? /help

They claim that they were jacking up on the strongest part...?

/help :huh2:
Cheers
Scc

Wodjno
22-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Had Kwik-fit to put on some replacement front alloys today.

They jacked up the car on both sides, on what looked like two beams down near the centre of car.

Whilst it was jacked up, I couldn't open the driverside door...and realised that the door had 'bent' upwards by about 2mm....i.e. the chassis was flexing/bending.... is this normal?????????????????? /help

They claim that they were jacking up on the strongest part...?

/help :huh2:
Cheers
Scc

I noticed this when i was fiting my braided hoses.. It didn't actually get to the point where the door wouldn't open, but was defintely out of alignment.. I use 2 Jacks now, 1 frond and 1 rear.. /yes

Kieran
22-11-2005, 10:27 PM
Oh blimey - they probably jacked up on the centre chassis rails from what you describe. They are NOT designated jacking points according to both the owners manual and the workshop manuals.

Go here and download the manual 00_Genral. There's a section on page 30 of that manual showing the correct jacking and stand points:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5507

scc
22-11-2005, 10:40 PM
Oh blimey - they probably jacked up on the centre chassis rails from what you describe. They are NOT designated jacking points according to both the owners manual and the workshop manuals.

Go here and download the manual 00_Genral. There's a section on page 30 of that manual showing the correct jacking and stand points:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5507

Yep, it was the centre chassis rails...oh poo...I hope my baby is a flexible one :(

The door still opens though...I hope there isn't any consequential damage...

Depending who you talk to, people/professionals tell you different things about how and where you can jack up the car... . Unfortunately, I've yet to find one that actually uses the jack points mentioned in the manual (except for the obvious ones near the skirts), most have said the cross member section for the rears, and the centre rails for the front....

Most of the time it seems like guess work.

Cheers,
scc

scc
22-11-2005, 10:42 PM
I noticed this when i was fiting my braided hoses.. It didn't actually get to the point where the door wouldn't open, but was defintely out of alignment.. I use 2 Jacks now, 1 frond and 1 rear.. /yes

We need a floating car like the one shown on TopGear (hehehe /yes )

Scc

strapping young lad
22-11-2005, 11:08 PM
when i had all 4 tyres replaced on mine in National i think they used this jack thing to lift the whole car up in one go

dunno where they placed the lift points cos i was in work.. i only saw the car parked in the bay ready.

Wodjno
22-11-2005, 11:31 PM
We need a floating car like the one shown on TopGear (hehehe /yes )

Scc

That was pretty Damn cool /yes