PDA

View Full Version : How long do you run your timers?

4me
10-09-2003, 11:44 PM
Wondering of those of you with turbo timers, how long do you normally set it to run for after:

a) A good highway drive INSERT INTO post VALUES (100kph sustained)
b) A good city drive INSERT INTO post VALUES (stop/start)

Brind
11-09-2003, 12:13 AM
My hand on the key works as a great turbo timer, much cheaper too!
I usually let the engine run for about 30 seconds after driving and let it warm up about a minute before I set off.

I rarely thrash the car, so a gentle cruise home under 3000 revs for a few minutes is enough to just switch it off though.

Spirit
11-09-2003, 12:29 AM
Same as Mark - no timer - just leave the engine running for a minute or so on a short easy run and the time it takes to smoke a fag if a hard run

Nick VR4
11-09-2003, 12:40 AM
I think Turbo Timers are a waste of money IMHO
Plus the issue with police leaving the car running plus the issue with the insurance people and the Alarm system :eek:

As above dont rag the car as soon as you drive off :nono:
And if you rag it let it tickover for a little while before turning engine off
I take it easy about a 2-3 miles from my house to let the turbo spin down if I have ragged it a little :D

Brind
11-09-2003, 01:13 AM
Having a turbo timer and working while you are away is an insurance risk as the car is potentially easier to be stolen, although some systems work very well with some alarm systems it is still illegal as the car must be accompanied by someone while it is running irrespective of insurance issues.

Some insurance companies will not insure you if you have a timer installed, if you fail to tell them and they find out you will not be covered by your insurance company!

4me
11-09-2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Brind
systems it is still illegal as the car must be accompanied by someone while it is running irrespective of insurance issues.

This is interesting ... does anyone from NZ know if this is also the case over here? INSERT INTO post VALUES (esp. since some of the garages/car yards are recommending they be installed.)

My timer was in the car when it was picked up and it generally only gets used if I'm in a hurry when arriving somewhere and still going to be in sight of the car.

jtfleming
11-09-2003, 03:12 AM
Dunno if its illegal to leave it running, but couriers do it all the time. Best to just not beat the car a few minutes before stopping but sometimes very hard not to in Welly as we have lotsa good twisty steep roads!!!:devil1:

4me
11-09-2003, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by jtfleming
sometimes very hard not to in Welly as we have lotsa good twisty steep roads!!!:devil1:

Living down here definiately has its perks ay ... gotta love some of those roads around the Island + Houghton bay hills.

That said, looking out the window at the fourth straight day of rain, those roads are getting a little slick. Had a few hairy corners on the way home last night. :scared1:

Roll on summer!

BraindG
11-09-2003, 06:43 AM
my timer is set for 30 seconds..
if ive had a hard drive, i still cruise home, and leave it running for those 30 seconds..

4me
11-09-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by BraindG
my timer is set for 30 seconds..
if ive had a hard drive, i still cruise home, and leave it running for those 30 seconds..

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Good to know. I should have probably named the thread "How long should I idle the car for".

All the other cars I've owned have had reasonable horsepower, but were all naturally aspirated.

I've got the timer set for one minute and unless in a great hurry tend to sit in the car and let it count down INSERT INTO post VALUES (use it as a reminder to stop me just shutting the silver beasty off, rather than a way to walk-away).

Will wind it down to 30 seconds and save myself a whole minute every day. :D I try to make a point of almost freewheeling the last few blocks on my travels to let things wind down before stopping also.

BraindG
11-09-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by 4me
I try to make a point of almost freewheeling the last few blocks on my travels to let things wind down before stopping also.

Yeah thats another thing i do! can freewheel most of the last mile home :D

Pescha
11-09-2003, 09:52 AM
Basically if you dont thrash your car, you can turn it off straight away, but if you DO thrash it let it idle for about 30 seconds! :) It's just common sense!

Thats all I do :thumb:

Cheers,
Pescha!

Ultra VR-4
11-09-2003, 09:51 PM
I usually run my car for 5 minutes in the morning before i cruise off to work... but my turbo timer is set for one minute. thats one minute every time i leave the car... thrash or no thrash...

MTB
16-09-2003, 11:24 AM
mine is a fully automatic timer. could idle as short as 10 seconds and as long as INSERT INTO post VALUES (my record) 6 and a half minutes! depending on how you drive it before you stop. :)

o and it is fully legal and acceptable by the insurance companies to leave the car idling on a turbo timer over here...