PDA

View Full Version : Economy.....

neil and bob
23-11-2005, 04:00 PM
Yes, I know this is a bit of a stupid question, but has anybody out there seen economy improvements after fitting parts such as a performance filter or a freer flowing exhaust. I refuse to believe that a socially responsible manufacturer like Mitsubishi can make a car that is as thirsty as the VR4. It's a 53 plate, if it makes a difference.

Wodjno
23-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Economy = VR4 :inquisiti /pan /wall :smash: :vogel: :o :huh:

I-S
23-11-2005, 04:16 PM
If you put on freer flowing intake and exhaust then more air will get into the engine. The MAF reading may then prompt the ECU to put more fuel in. The VR4 runs rich anyway, so the additional air may just result in an overall slightly leaner combustion. Nothing in that will prompt the ECU to inject less fuel...

enigma
23-11-2005, 04:18 PM
Yes, I know this is a bit of a stupid question, but has anybody out there seen economy improvements after fitting parts such as a performance filter or a freer flowing exhaust. I refuse to believe that a socially responsible manufacturer like Mitsubishi can make a car that is as thirsty as the VR4. It's a 53 plate, if it makes a difference.

Is this your dads car? Or have you taken possesion?

Thirsty?

I can get anywhere between 6mpg and about 25mpg depending which boots I have on!

Some people report better mpg after fitting an intercooler, but not me, my consumption has remained quite constant! The only variable is the ful price :embarasse

neil and bob
23-11-2005, 04:24 PM
Still my dads I'm afraid, I'm just planning ahead. I'm servicing it today and even though I've been tickling it it still drinks like the stuff's free. As you know we do a lot of stuff with BM's and it's not unusual to get 27 mpg with careful mixed driving, but the VR4 never seems to get better than 20 ish. Even my 2.5 V6 will only do 23 ish. BY the way, i'm not going down some bm/mitsi comparison thing here, they both fantastic cars, but one is obscenely thirsty!

neil and bob
23-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Cheers for the reply Isaac S. I knowthe theory, but it doesn't follow sometimes. I had a 200sx and did the usual upgrades to 260bhp, confirmed on a dyno, and it would return 40mpg on a run, at 90mph! Even just knocking around it did about 30mpg, only when I started to thrash it did it drop to the depths of VR4 fuel consumption!

enigma
23-11-2005, 04:34 PM
Still my dads I'm afraid, I'm just planning ahead. I'm servicing it today and even though I've been tickling it it still drinks like the stuff's free. As you know we do a lot of stuff with BM's and it's not unusual to get 27 mpg with careful mixed driving, but the VR4 never seems to get better than 20 ish. Even my 2.5 V6 will only do 23 ish. BY the way, i'm not going down some bm/mitsi comparison thing here, they both fantastic cars, but one is obscenely thirsty!

I have a piggy back ecu on mine, but not using it to its full potential! I am sure I could run a bit leaner at cruise and get sensible figures......

neil and bob
23-11-2005, 04:40 PM
I think you may be right, I'll tinker at a later date and see what can be done.

psbarham
23-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Even my 2.5 V6 will only do 23 ish.
wtf!!!!!!!!!!!!! lead divers boots are no good for driving in /pan 30 -36 mpg out of my v6 is not uncommon , and no i dont transport eggs on a bed of nails in the back either :inquisiti

Spirit
23-11-2005, 06:31 PM
As Dave mentioned, going to/from the Ring in August I achieved figures in the late 20's........however, sub 20 is common with my usual heavier foot :evil2:

The late 20's was my best ever economy - and was after fitting an uprated intercooler.

Wodjno
23-11-2005, 07:53 PM
My last tankful averaged out at a TAD over 12mpg.. I usually return on average between 14-16mpg on a tank. And the bestest ever is a TAD over 20..

PS.. And the worst was just over 9mpg.. And not on a track either.. :inquisiti

konman
23-11-2005, 08:04 PM

BWWAAAAA HA HA HAAAAAAA HHHAAAA HAA HA HA HA you crack me up... economical ?!?!?!?!?! wow!!!! i want the drugs you're on... whoooo i think im gonna die /pan :rolleyes4 :joker: :evil2:

enigma
23-11-2005, 10:11 PM
All this and today I look close to getting my first 300 mile tank! I am at 250 and the light hasn't come on yet :smug:

Set off at 6:30 this am, drove to Blackpool, chatted a bit, checked the site, did some work, and came home again.

The Vee
23-11-2005, 10:39 PM
All this and today I look close to getting my first 300 mile tank! I am at 250 and the light hasn't come on yet :smug:

Set off at 6:30 this am, drove to Blackpool, chatted a bit, checked the site, did some work, and came home again.

Start panicking then, sounds like you need a new bulb ! /pan /pan

Wodjno
23-11-2005, 10:43 PM
/lol /haz
Start panicking then, sounds like you need a new bulb ! /pan /pan

bradc
24-11-2005, 09:09 AM
and now for the first actual worthwhile response in the whole thread:

I have found a little bit of a reduction in fuel consumption after I changed my exhaust. Not very much, only a few litres over 500km or so.

neil and bob
24-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Thanks Bradc that's more like it. Does any body else have any gems!

michaeli
27-11-2005, 06:04 PM
I get around 320 miles out of a tank...

is my tank bigger??

enigma
27-11-2005, 06:07 PM

is my tank bigger??

No, you just drive like a girl!

dickytim
27-11-2005, 06:36 PM
I am lucky to get 400km (250miles) from a tank, but I have a severly heavy foot, I did get 250miles from 50 litres this week, going out to the girl freinds place three times, and not much else.

that was open road, 60km (37.5miles) there and back. Country driving, so sitting between 120-150km/h and the manditory vlast to the speed cut for fun on the overtaking lane.

neil and bob
28-11-2005, 11:24 AM
Michaeli, what colour's your car, I work in Chesy, I may have seen you.

Wodjno
28-11-2005, 12:05 PM

is my tank bigger??

I reckon my Tank must have a hole in it, or someone is out syphoning my petrol out of my tank each night or my odometer is reading only 1 mile for every 2 that i complete or the pumps i use to fill up at are telling me they are giving me a gallon but only giving me 1/2 a gallon. :inquisiti
Cos my fuel consumption is half of that :inquisiti /help