PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox and AYC Suspicion

ALLY VR4
23-11-2005, 11:45 PM
Hello to all you VR4 Members great site. New to the VR4 Club and new owner of a Leggie VR4 Type S Auto tiptronic had the car about 6 weeks now seemed ok on test drive. But now its getting some welly breaks not so good. When in fifth gear dosen't seem to lock in properly. when you hit the launch pedal it seems to slip a bit more than I would expect. When you take tight bends at speed howling noise not sure where it is coming fom suspect AYC controle.Considering a compleet fluids change.Any help would be appreciated.

Kieran
24-11-2005, 12:18 AM
Hi There. Glad you're enjoying the site and the car. :chugchug:

Okay, in order:

Yes, the brakes are under-powered. Grooved discs and uprated pads improve things greatly. Compounds of choice seem to be EBC 'Red' or Ferodo DS2500s.

Auto issues - not locking in properly... Can you describe a bit more? Does the car 'shudder' as it tries to wind in the lock? Mostly, it's the ATF. If it's old or incorrectly filled (too much OR too little) or if it's the wrong grade, it can cause all sorts of weird happenings!

See here for more ATF info:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10125

Howling when cornering.... Yep, it's the AYC. But don't panic! Howling is the clutch packs telling you they're contaminated and need some fresh AYC fluid. See here:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3851

Hope this helps!! :thumbsup:

ALLY VR4
24-11-2005, 01:25 AM
Thank's well impressed . No shudder very smoth. Will change fluids and see how it perform's. If engine oil was anything to go by the rest of the fluids will be in a poor state. Trying to get some brake rotors from Gripforce in the US look ok and good price about £100 for set of four grooved and drilled
Great help
Cheers Ally.

Craig
24-11-2005, 10:19 AM
Hi , I also have a Legnum VR4 that has gear probs , when cold it stays in gear to long then suddenly jumps into next gear, and when using tiptronic it sometimes takes a long time to go up gears ?????
I bought it a year ago and got all the oils changed and the gearbox oil now is in still good order and doesn't smell burnt or changed colour .
Can anybody give me any clues why

Louis
24-11-2005, 10:28 AM
Hi, welocme,
Check the members section, club discounts, for brakes and rotors, there is a deal with woodford garage (I think) ds2500's and discs, which is a good upgrade, and you can also fit brembos from an evo (with a bit of work, how much work dependsg on the year of your legnum), have a search about.

You will have to go to a mitsy dealer to get the ayc fluid changed as they use the "mut"( diagnostic computer) to bleed the system, cheers Louis

ariddell
24-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Hello to all you VR4 Members great site. New to the VR4 Club and new owner of a Leggie VR4 Type S Auto tiptronic had the car about 6 weeks now seemed ok on test drive.

6 Weeks... Get some pics of it in yer profile then, tsk! :)