PDA

View Full Version : Virus's, Adware, Spyware !!

Wodjno
25-11-2005, 05:29 PM
The last 24hrs i've been battling to keep my PC from dying.. After a couple of days of doing some serious digging around on the net including foreign sites, a few problems started to manifest themselves. I started to get POP UP's although i had a Pop Up Blocker, It started really running slow and switching itself off and had a 4 occasions where it had to recover from a serious crash..
I tried Numerous free programs for Adware, Spyware and Virus protection and scanning but to no avail. The programs i were running at the time it started was AVG Free, Adaware, Spybot Search and Destroy, Zone Alarm, Pop Up Blocker and i was running CCleaner on a daily basis. Over the last 24hrs i have pulled out over 1.5 gig of crap out of my registry over 14 scans. In the end i had to purchase various programs via the Net to sort the system out the only programs that seem to have sorted out the problems are WinAntiVirus 2006 Pro, WinAntiSpyware2005 and Spy Axe 3.0. When i say it's sorted well it's not quite, it's speeded up alot and the virus alerts from windows have ceased and so have all the bloody pop ups but i am at the moment running a Deep System Scan and this is what it has found so far.

I really don't like the look of the Top one, looks like this could be really bad if i was to access my bank account or other websites where i am inputting security information or credit car details. Anyway hopefully after this scan has completed all will be back to normal.

Bal
25-11-2005, 05:47 PM
FYI -

major virus that leaked out on tuesday called sober-z. it's a generic email worm but be warned.

symantec have released a cleanup util.

B

Paul Beazer
25-11-2005, 07:52 PM
You havent downloaded smiley central or similar recently have you? Thats where that "my search toolbar" often comes from, and its a right pig to get rid of. We got it at work and it took our IT guy nearly 2 hours! Hope you get it sorted!

Nick VR4
25-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Have you viewed any short movies and been asked to download codec etc

Doggy people are using this way to download other software to cause your PC to get popups etc
And then saying your PC is infected etc one is Spy Axe buy some of there resellers

Also some AV software decides that this is HIGH RISK when its not

You could also try a online scan at Trend, Panda , McAfee

Have you check the WINAV site to see what this Malware does ?

bradc
25-11-2005, 08:38 PM
hijack this is a very powerful program that will let you get rid of lots of things running in the background, you might want to have a look at that.

Funkstar
25-11-2005, 09:17 PM
hijack this is a very powerful program that will let you get rid of lots of things running in the background, you might want to have a look at that.

'Tis a good programme but you really have to know what your doing with it or you could end up messing with something that shouldn't be messed with.

Always back everything up first or set a system restore point if your gonna try this.

If you believe you have got these viruses from a download then try to restore your system to another time.

KiwiTT
27-11-2005, 10:57 PM
I am not sure if you could do this, or have the skills, but can I suggest the following, if hijack this doesn't work.

1) Re-install the OS from scratch - you will need you original Windows XP CDs.
2) Obtain SP2 from Microsoft, or a collegue can download it for you on a CD.
3) Install a good third party firewall - like Zone Alarm 6.
4) Connect to the windows update and download the rest of the patches.
5) Go to www.mozilla.org and get firefox
6) Use IE only for Windows Update and some selected sites that will not work with Firefox, a decreasing number, everyday.
7) Use www.avast.com anti-virus and web and email filter.
8) Use spybot and adaware, however, if you use firefox, you will find less problems.
9) Install www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard, this will control all processes that run and you will need to approve before it can run. Remember to turn off "learning mode" once you have run all your usual programs and completed all your updates.
10) Create a surfing user account that has no administration rights to use when connecting to the internet.
11) Create a gaming account to use with games that because of the the way they have been written need administration access. Do not connect to the internet, with this account, unless you restrict it to trusted gaming server sites only.

strapping young lad
27-11-2005, 11:19 PM
kerio personal firewall does this also (the process monitoring thing)

ms antispyware tool monitors for any changes, and warns you

but the kerio one warns of applications being launched, access to internet (you approve or deny)

its quite ok actually

oh and lavasoft ad aware run every week

isnt it a shame that the days where any joe bloggs can have a pc with no problems.. looking at the list kiwitt ran (congrats on the tri nations btw!) it takes an it savvy person to understand the implications

Wodjno
28-11-2005, 07:23 AM
Thanks all for your input but it looks like my Lap Top is DEAD :sad3:
Cannot even obtain an internet connection anymore. The computers still running but very slowly.
Looks like i'm going to have go down the Re-install road. Maybe it's time that i now start to read a bit more about computing so i can understand how to look after it better. :embarasse
Once again thank you for the information, sites and programs you have recommended. Also to Kiwitt for the Re-install write up, much appreciated. :thumbsup:
Lucky i still have the use of the PC at work.. /yes

KiwiTT
28-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Some Laptops has a hidden restore partition and you can simply press the right sequence and it will rebuild.

If it is an IBM it is either Access IBM or the F1 key. Compaq/HP may be the F10 key. Other may actually supply restore CDs.

strapping young lad
29-11-2005, 01:08 AM
or

scrap windows and put linux on it! ;)

strapping young lad
29-11-2005, 01:11 AM
seriously though

if you can, get a copy of norton ghost

i goosed my laptop in work today, mainly through boredom but the domestic IT dept had an image of my laptop and within 30 mins i was up and running again with everything i need

if you need to know more let us know.

konman
29-11-2005, 01:44 AM
Fastest and most satisfying way to solve this problem is sock the laptop in petrol, light it... walk away laughing and go buy a Mac. :evil2:

Wodjno
29-11-2005, 07:52 AM
Fastest and most satisfying way to solve this problem is sock the laptop in petrol, light it... walk away laughing and go buy a Mac. :evil2:

I prefer the BK Bacon Double Cheeseburger myself :inquisiti

Wodjno
29-11-2005, 07:55 AM
Some Laptops has a hidden restore partition and you can simply press the right sequence and it will rebuild.

If it is an IBM it is either Access IBM or the F1 key. Compaq/HP may be the F10 key. Other may actually supply restore CDs.

It's a Tiny :embarasse So know aftersales back up either :embarasse :embarasse /pan

strapping young lad
29-11-2005, 08:09 AM
ive just rebuilt a Tiny pc and i still HAD to get the original disks for device drivers

make sure u have these m8 before you start

WildCards
29-11-2005, 11:14 AM
walk away laughing and go buy a Mac. :evil2:

So when that packs up it really does cost you a fortune! /pan

Polabear
29-11-2005, 11:41 AM
It's a Tiny :embarasse So know aftersales back up either :embarasse :embarasse /pan

Tiny used to always supply their pc's with a rebuild cd Glen, if you still have it just put it in and follow the prompts... mind you will lose everything that YOU have put on it since... failing that if it has XP on it use the files and settings wizard to keep all your stuff, transfer them to another drive (external preferably) rebuild using the restore disc then reimport your saved sttings...or if you know what has infected the lappy go to symantec pull down the fix for it, turn off sytem restore, run the fix, reboot, then turn system restore back on...you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain mate... :thumbsup:

sydkhan
29-11-2005, 11:51 AM
or

scrap windows and put linux on it! ;)

must say dude you stole my words btw what linux you use :evil2: :drummer: