PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading of the Intercooler

locker
26-11-2005, 02:28 AM
What difference do you notice, and what happens to the power steering pipe that runs along the front of the standard intercooler. :inquisiti

bradc
26-11-2005, 03:47 AM
Spirit noticed a reasonable performance increase when he changed his intercooler. As for the power steering, I have no idea ;)

AllBeItMine
26-11-2005, 04:34 AM
theres room for the power steering to go behind the intercooler - if you push it against the intercooler at the rear - it gets better cooling

enigma
26-11-2005, 04:42 PM
Spirit noticed a reasonable performance increase when he changed his intercooler. As for the power steering, I have no idea ;)

And I lost 70BHP before altering my fuelling. I am also now struggling to get high boost as the larger volume is just too much for our small turbos. :rolleyes4

michaeli
27-11-2005, 05:58 PM
Before: Fuel cut at 0.6 bar... :embarasse

After: No fuel cut, even at 0.9 bar... :smug:

Power steering no problem, just tuck it up behind the intercooler.. :thumbsup:

Mike

Kieran
27-11-2005, 06:05 PM
But does this come back to the 'More pressure, less flow' argument that Dave was on about? Or has your power increased too Mike?

enigma
27-11-2005, 06:06 PM
Before: Fuel cut at 0.6 bar... :embarasse

After: No fuel cut, even at 0.9 bar... :smug:

Power steering no problem, just tuck it up behind the intercooler.. :thumbsup:

Mike

Thats quite backwards.

With the intercooler you would expect colder denser air, more airflow and fuel cut much earlier on.................

Mind you, you can run all day long with high boost and high temperatures.....you will still be blown away by someone with less boost and correct set up! See recent dyno plots of someone running just 10psi!! :p

michaeli
05-12-2005, 06:45 PM
Am I incorrect in thinking that 'fuel cut' is the ECU cutting fuel because air going in is being measured, the warmer the air, the less dense, therefore, fuel is cut to make sure the correct air(oxygen)/fuel ratio is being burnt without too much of one or the other?

If this is correct, then better air cooling = colder air = higher boost = better burning = less fuel cut

I may be wrong, but all i can tell you is the results i have had... fuel cut before... no fuel cut now...

Mike

michaeli
05-12-2005, 06:47 PM
But does this come back to the 'More pressure, less flow' argument that Dave was on about? Or has your power increased too Mike?

On the apexi it showed a 40bhp gain on standard and felt more responsive, not to mention the increased MPG

triniVr4
18-12-2005, 01:43 AM
^^hmm....i'm thinking of doign the intercooler upgrade...what are the dimensions of the upgrade?....was brand did yu use?....

bradc
18-12-2005, 02:16 AM
most people go for 600x300x76, although you can fit a 100mm deep intercooler in, it probably isn't necessary until you go with bigger turbos. If I could find a 600x200x100mm intercooler I would go with that, the grill on our cars for the intercooler is only about 170mm tall anyway.

Rossco Type-S
18-12-2005, 07:01 AM
is there much invlolved in installing a 600*300*76 or does it fit neatly?

OSiRiS
10-01-2006, 10:34 PM
You will JUST fit a 76mm behind the standard front bumper. Trust me lol.

Nick Mann
10-01-2006, 10:50 PM
Am I incorrect in thinking that 'fuel cut' is the ECU cutting fuel because air going in is being measured, the warmer the air, the less dense, therefore, fuel is cut to make sure the correct air(oxygen)/fuel ratio is being burnt without too much of one or the other?

If this is correct, then better air cooling = colder air = higher boost = better burning = less fuel cut

Nearly, but not quite. The air flow is measured. Not the pressure or the temperature, just the flow. The pressure is the same - it is controlled by your boost controller - but the drop in temperature will increase the density and therefore the flow. When the flow reaches a limit that the car becomes concerned about it will cut the fuel. So colder air means more fuel cut.

OSiRiS
10-01-2006, 10:58 PM
Nearly, but not quite. The air flow is measured. Not the pressure or the temperature, just the flow. The pressure is the same - it is controlled by your boost controller - but the drop in temperature will increase the density and therefore the flow. When the flow reaches a limit that the car becomes concerned about it will cut the fuel. So colder air means more fuel cut.

So how do you overcome fuel cut?

Kenneth
10-01-2006, 11:12 PM
A: tune the airflow signal with a piggyback device
B: use a boost controller that is RPM aware
C: use an aftermarket ECU
D: shift down earlier so your RPM is high before you floor it.
E: use a FCD. I wouldn't do this personally unless you have some other way of adding fuel.

Nick Mann
10-01-2006, 11:14 PM
I have a piggy back ecu and an HKS Fuel Cut Defender.

If you cheat fuel cut you could get into more trouble - the ecu does it to protect the engine from leaning out. Fuel cut is better than melted internals! I would strongly recommend removing fuel cut by making sure the car is correctly fuelled. Some piggy backs are able to do both functions - I understand that the e-manage will do so. My Dastek unichip is apparently unable to so I need another box of tricks to do that for me.