PDA

View Full Version : Oulton track day

SGHOM
26-11-2005, 08:39 PM
Another eventful day with Club VR4 !! /yes /yes

It all started off so well with clear, dry weather, briefing sorted, cars prep'd in our garage. We set set off on our 3 sighting laps, I said to my son Joe, " we'll start off slowly, then get up to race speed by the 3rd lap " but when I saw the pace car ?? WTF !! :rolleyes4 It was an old Isuzu trooper diesel !!

Anyway... we eventually got underway on a dry, but cold track.................for about 2 laps..........then it started raining ! :embarasse If those of you thought Donington was slippy last week ! you should have been here !! !st casualty was a EVO, 5 minutes delay to get him off the track. next.. a Caterham ! more red flags. then, the BIG OFF !! :embarasse

An EVO, somehow, lost it at the end of the pit straight [ fastest part of the course ] not exactly sure what happened, but he rear ended the armco on the right, then somersaulted into the tyrewall on the left ! /help :embarasse
It was a major impact, & the car was totalled. luckily, they walked away from it. /yes

Almost 3 hours past before racing resumed. the damage to the armco was severe, & 8 sections had to be replaced.

Back on the track, we all took it in turns to passenger peeps in the suicide seat ! :rolleyes4 so a bit of racing was enjoyed, but It was so slippy ! /Steeringw a few more offs kept delaying things, & then RC developements 900 bhp EVO's engine decided it had had enough !! & let go. /yes

Shortly after that, another EVO blew up, spewing oil on what was already the slippiest corner on the track ! Time to call it a day me thinks ? glad the marshalls agreed. /yes

overall ?? good day, but could have been better. /yes

WildCards
26-11-2005, 08:56 PM
Blimey, eventful was an understatement by the sounds of it. Glad you still enjoyed it though. Did the rest of your tribe agree? after being in the suicide seat and all.

You didn't have to swerve around any more cars then?

Was it a good turn out for the club?

SGHOM
26-11-2005, 08:59 PM
lifted from the MLR forum; the drivers point of view.

Guys - i'm still numb with shock. Just spent the last 3 hours on the way home going through it all over & over again and probably will be for weeks.
Finding it difficult to come to terms with TBH - I've been tracking for 6 years now and had quite a few spins / clipped a cone but nothing on this scale.

The fact that i've only had the car 2 weeks and honestly found it by far the best EVO i've had makes it 10 times worse - along with the fact that I probably can't claim on the insurance.

The bloody car only had 10k miles on it Was a minter, and I have reciepts for over £5k of mods

I have to admit at shedding a tear when i got in the house - it feels like there's been a death in the family.

Just have to thank my lucky stars that I only have cuts & bruises to show for it - i'm sure if anyone sees the car they won't believe I walked away.

So what happened ? I must be the first person to lose a car on a straight and not a bend ? As the car has no ABS and it was raining and I has worn AO46's (still legal though just above the wear markers) the car locked up as I braked for the bend, and slightly turned to the right, I took the foot off the brake, but it was too lat I was heading for the Armco and there was nothing I could do but accept what was coming. The rest was like a rollercoaster ride as I had a large bang then went upside down, before coming back to rest on the other side of the circuit.

I have to say I'm really sorry to all of you that attended and had a shortened track day because of me - I was even more gutted until it re-opened for you lot.

And thanks again to everyone that helped - filsevo for bringing me & my lass home, Nick(NR) for taking some of my gear which we couldn't carry and also Gaz / mike? who are looking to to take care of the car.

If anyone has photos of the car, please e-mail me them.

So the options now stand probably as follows:

I sell the car as is for salvage

or I get it rebuilt on another shell.

If anyone is interested please contact me by PM

Spec as follows:

1999 (V) EVO VI RS

ONLY 10,000 miles with full Mitsubishi Service History and old MOT's to prove.

Blitz filter
Mongoose exhaust (although probably u/s now)
Greddy boost controller
Aquamist water injection
Uprated conrod bolts
Uprated Fuel Pump
Re-mapped to suit to 356 bhp / 332lb/ft

Air con
Front elec windows
Recent New battery, dump valve (std), Air flow meter and actuator.

I have all the reciepts for the above with rolling road graphs after each upgrade

WildCards
26-11-2005, 09:16 PM
He has the good grace to apologise for the delay, double thumbs up in my book considering how he must feel at the minute. I can't imagine losing my car and NOT being able to claim on the insurance like this.

He sounds like a nice bloke, which makes it even worse.

If anyone comes across pics it would be interesting to see them.

Kieran
26-11-2005, 09:20 PM
Alex and I have just read that thread.... and well..... just putting myself in his shoes for a second and imagining If i'd trashed Ariadne.... :embarasse :embarasse

Poor bloke - Top marks for apologising to everyone else and I think he has everyone's sympathy. /yes

Physician
26-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Sheesh, poor guy.

I was empathising as well Kieran ...... it doesn't bear thinking about. :embarasse

The Vee
26-11-2005, 09:43 PM
Can only feel sorry for him. But I think we all know the risks involved with this sort of thing. Hope he can get sorted soon.

SGHOM
26-11-2005, 11:18 PM
I can empathise with him now, but at the time we were reliably informed by an unreliable witness :rolleyes4 :rolleyes4 the he was overtaking on the WRONG side when he collided with the armco !

richy rich
26-11-2005, 11:23 PM
I can empathise with him now, but at the time we were reliably informed by an unreliable witness :rolleyes4 :rolleyes4 the he was overtaking on the WRONG side when he collided with the armco !
i didn't here that Derick
(Ive pmed you)

WildCards
27-11-2005, 12:08 AM
Jesus, brings it home when you see the pics. He must be counting his lucky stars when he walked away from that one with no serious injuries.

Thanks for posting Derek.

Kieran
27-11-2005, 12:09 AM
OUCH!! Not good! :embarasse

Physician
27-11-2005, 12:51 AM
Ummm! Did I say I was going to Donington on 29/12/05?

On a separate note Derek ......... were they all faster than the VR4 or were there a few you could 'take'?

The Vee
27-11-2005, 12:52 AM
Looks like that top corner took a hell of a bashing, didn't collapse, must be quite strong or has he a cage in it. At least he was able to walk away from it. that's the best bit.

SGHOM
27-11-2005, 12:58 AM
On a separate note Derek ......... were they all faster than the VR4 or were there a few you could 'take'?
I took a few, but most were as quick on the straights, just wusses around the twisty bits !! /yes /yes
It was.......... & I must emphasise.... very..very..slippy out there. /yes

If you stay clear of the 'pro' cars, then you really can take the pi$$ out of them !! /yes /Steeringw

Physician
27-11-2005, 01:08 AM
If you stay clear of the 'pro' cars, then you really can take the pi$$ out of them !! /yes /Steeringw

That surprises me ...... I know MY car is much slower than yours but I would have thought the Evo VII's and VIII's in particular would pi$$ on us.

They do have 4x4 and AYC and everything don't they? /Hmmm

SGHOM
27-11-2005, 01:12 AM
It was a very cold & wet track. /yes I lost it a couple of times. thankfully... AYC helped me out. It all came down to driver skill at the end of the day, & I think the VR4 drivers won on points !! /Steeringw :thumbsup:

Spirit
27-11-2005, 02:09 AM
Never like to hear of anyone having an accident, and the guy was so lucky to walk away. But as Andy said, we all know the risks when we venture out on track, and it does make the question of track insurance come back into one's mind.

Nick Mann
27-11-2005, 02:41 AM
.....must be quite strong or has he a cage in it.

/yes Just as well, too! /JawDroppi

The Vee
27-11-2005, 10:40 AM
and it does make the question of track insurance come back into one's mind.

Tell me about it!!! At those sort of speeds, even if you're lucky and walk away from it, chances are the car will be a write off.

pezza
27-11-2005, 11:55 AM
Crikey that guy is lucky to walk away.. the car took some battering indeed.

Justread the MLR thread and he sounds like a decent bloke who definitely knew he escaped unscathed this time, and not put off for future track days..

Those Yoko A046 tyres are scary lethal in the wet, especially with low tread, as i posted in other thread, mine came off on thursday and stuck in garage until next year with warmer drier weather!

Glad the VR4 bunch did not have any bad misses... any pix or vidi yet? or havent i searched hard enough?? :inquisiti

Cheers

Pezz

Jimbo
27-11-2005, 12:39 PM
Yeah, a really big off.....I had an all too familiar sickly feeling in my throat and stomach when I saw it.

During the long delay to repair the armco a few of us were talking to Graeme, the Track Speed organiser, and he told us he'd inspected the car afterwards and noticed heatcracks in the rear discs. His theory was that a disc might have cracked under breaking forcing the car to do a sudden right turn. Very lucky the guy walked away......he DEFINITELY wasn't overtaking anybody at the time though, according to the marshals that is.

Anyway....a disappointing track day I guess, but for me it was more due to the greasy damp nature of the track that anything. As Derek said, it really was a case of just surviving and trying to have fun on a couple of safer corners, like the two chicanes.

Loved the "reverse Karrussel" bit at the bottom, but not so much when Simon tried to overtake me on the outside of it!!! Funniest moment for me was the night before when Heath told me he'd brought his own traffic cone with him /lol

Must book another day there, and hopefully get a dry one, it seems like an awesome track.

Jimbo
27-11-2005, 12:42 PM
Just had a thought.....this could well be a record for the day; I took out 6 different passengers, excluding the sighting laps. What a taxi service! Derek, Heath, Simon, what was your tally?

psbarham
27-11-2005, 12:48 PM
well first off , glad you are all back in one peice :thumbsup: as for the evo driver , he is one lucky so and so , i just hope with the luck he had to walk away from that he brought a lottery ticket :rolleyes4 anyway there is some photos of derek ,heath and jimbo on HERE (http://www.pearsosphotographic.co.uk/tick2.html) :thumbsup:

Jimbo
27-11-2005, 01:43 PM
Just looking at the photos of Simon's skyline has reminded me of a rather amusing bit of dialogue from the day.....we were talking to Graeme, the head marshal, and he spotted Simon's "interestingly-coloured" wheels.

Graeme: "I like you wheels mate"
Everyone: "<laughing>"
Graeme: "What you should do it put a thin pin-stripe down the side of it"
Simon: "Yeah! I was thinking the same thing"
Graeme: "...and then write 'I am a big, (FAST) tw@t' on the back!"

/lol /lol /lol

Simon
27-11-2005, 02:19 PM
PMSL. :joker: well the wheels got a reaction /pan Will post more thoughts on day later. Cant wait for Janes pics. Was joined on the trip back down the M6 by a Legnum! caught me up at great speed! :inquisiti blacked out windows :inquisiti looked mean as hell :inquisiti and had two smiling faces peering out! /yes Hello Nick and co-pilot :rolleyes4 u guys made the journey back more fun, travlling at speed and trying to lip read each other side by side, one point we had a rolling road block on the M6. albeit at about 90mph ...that drive was as much fun as the track time.................great to meet everyone else, a good turn out of Legnums........... :thumbsup:

Nick Mann
27-11-2005, 06:06 PM
Hello Nick and co-pilot

Hello!! Were you following us?!?! :rolleyes4

It did make the time pass quicker, didn't it? And I'm sure you know, but your nearside headlamp looks like it is on dim dip instead of dipped beam. Made it easy to tell where you were when you were behind, though!

From my point of view, the day seemed like the general atmosphere was a bit damp - much like the track. I guess a few shunts and one of them big kind of makes people nervous. Fortunately the track pro's in this club came out unscathed (excepting a bit of grass - eh, lawnmower man!) and the company whilst we were there was good as ever. Good to catch up a bit with some of you - but as always not enough time and too much occurring to catch up with everyone.

I am looking forward to getting my car fighting fit again to join you on some of the escapades next year!

K9NG
27-11-2005, 06:15 PM
Had a good day despite the amount of red flags :rolleyes4
Was very slippery in places but all in all most enjoyable.
Heard about one of Derecks heart in mouth moments from a guy
in a Starion saying he could see Derecks graphics in his rear
view as he was sliding side-ways :rolleyes4
Good to see every-one and look forward to more in the New Year /Steeringw

SGHOM
27-11-2005, 07:11 PM
Heard about one of Derecks heart in mouth moments from a guy
in a Starion saying he could see Derecks graphics in his rear
view as he was sliding side-ways :rolleyes4

Ok..Ok. :embarasse :embarasse I got it all wrong a couple of times !! /yes but, as you'll agree, it was a bit slippy !! :rolleyes4

SGHOM
27-11-2005, 07:40 PM
Loved the "reverse Karrussel" bit at the bottom, but not so much when Simon tried to overtake me on the outside of it!!! Funniest moment for me was the night before when Heath told me he'd brought his own traffic cone with him /lol

Must book another day there, and hopefully get a dry one, it seems like an awesome track.

got to agree with those comments Jim, /yes It is a great track. they dont call it the 'mini nurburgring' for nothing !! /Steeringw /Steeringw
almost 3 miles of undulating countryside, & technically challenging.

cascades: sweeping left hander, with adverse camber after coming down the hill from the avenue. /Steeringw

Shell oils corner; AKA karrusell !! /Steeringw

lodge : coming out of that double apex, on full throttle, up the hill, just hoping & praying no-one has gone off as you get over the crest !! /help

Druids : well... the less said about that corner the better. /help :embarasse :embarasse :embarasse

richy rich
27-11-2005, 08:47 PM
Looks like that top corner took a hell of a bashing, didn't collapse, must be quite strong or has he a cage in it. At least he was able to walk away from it. that's the best bit.
no cage in it.

HJM
27-11-2005, 09:49 PM
Home finally, after a small detour ( :rolleyes4 ) on the way and sitting in traffic on the A34 for an hour /pan

We had a great weekend, really good to see everyone again and, whilst the track (and photography) action could have been better, it was still a good day.

Just really glad the guy walked away from that crash /yes

I'll sort some pics out later :thumbsup:

richy rich
27-11-2005, 10:17 PM
got to agree with those comments Jim, /yes It is a great track. they dont call it the 'mini nurburgring' for nothing !! /Steeringw /Steeringw
almost 3 miles of undulating countryside, & technically challenging.

cascades: sweeping left hander, with adverse camber after coming down the hill from the avenue. /Steeringw

Shell oils corner; AKA karrusell !! /Steeringw

lodge : coming out of that double apex, on full throttle, up the hill, just hoping & praying no-one has gone off as you get over the crest !! /help

Druids : well... the less said about that corner the better. /help :embarasse :embarasse :embarasse
it dosnt help if your wheel nuts are loose /pan /pan /pan /pan
thanks for the help and play today derick. :thumbsup:

SGHOM
27-11-2005, 10:23 PM
it dosnt help if your wheel nuts are loose /pan /pan /pan /pan
thanks for the help and play today derick. :thumbsup:

It was Wouters fault !! /yes he spent more time on the track in my car than I did !! /grr

Wouter
27-11-2005, 10:44 PM
It was Wouters fault !! /yes he spent more time on the track in my car than I did !! /grr

/Steeringw /Steeringw /Steeringw

Sorry Derek, but thanks for letting me rag your car arround the track!! Lots of Fun!!! :thumbsup:

I even managed to get 3 crazy people to sit in the suicide seat!!

The look on Derek's mate's (passanger 1) face when Derek told him this was my first track day.... and that it is the first time I am driving his car arround a corner!

The poor chap was holding on for dear life!

What a good day! It was nice to see so many club members.
:thumbsup:

HJM
28-11-2005, 12:01 AM
Yep - absolutely knackered - will post more thoughts tomorrow (including tales of the 'Lawnmowerman') /Steeringw

Two things stick in my mind at the moment from the weekend:

1. "SLIMON" (pronounced 'Slime On') - which Nick christened Simon for his wonderful taste in wheel colours :thumbsup:

2. Brian saying Oulton is nothing like the Nurburgring - except they both have lots of trees /yes (Roll on RT3)

Great weekend (including two very hazy evenings) - although the amount of track time was not the best, it was great to see so many folk (19 in total if I recall incl. that bar steward Rich :thumbsup: ) in the CVR4 pit garage.

H

richy rich
28-11-2005, 12:17 AM
that bar steward Rich :thumbsup: ) in the CVR4 pit garage
hope your not talking about me lawnmowerman :joker:
can you come and cut my lawn its getting a bit long :joker: :thumbsup:

chris g
28-11-2005, 01:30 AM
Never thought of Oulton as a 'mini nurburgring' - not enough gradient changes really - the UK track that attracts such a label is Cadwell Park

Anyone checked out Easy Track website for a Cadwell trackday on Feb 16th IIRC - 89 pounds for the day

Will be back home for then and should, hopefully have my 'new' car

Anyone interested in a Cadwell trackday?

Jimbo
28-11-2005, 02:34 AM

Now Christopher......you know us all rather better than that /lol Count me in for Cadwell, just need to round up the troops on here now /yes

HJM
28-11-2005, 08:25 AM
Now Christopher......you know us all rather better than that /lol Count me in for Cadwell, just need to round up the troops on here now /yes

Consider us rounded up :thumbsup:

Wouter
28-11-2005, 09:21 AM
The little Evo will never be ready by the 29'th of December, but..... It may be ready in time for this!!

If it is count me in!! Also it might be an idea to start another thread!

richy rich
28-11-2005, 02:42 PM
The little Evo will never be ready by the 29'th of December, but..... It may be ready in time for this!!

If it is count me in!! Also it might be an idea to start another thread!
i agree :embarasse

psbarham
28-11-2005, 05:58 PM
Never thought of Oulton as a 'mini nurburgring' - not enough gradient changes really - the UK track that attracts such a label is Cadwell Park

Anyone checked out Easy Track website for a Cadwell trackday on Feb 16th IIRC - 89 pounds for the day

Will be back home for then and should, hopefully have my 'new' car

/Hmmm tempting and just up the road , ooh never been over the moutain section in a car before , i just hope it doesn't wheelie like the bike used to /pan