PDA

View Full Version : Serious vibration on braking

colVR4
28-11-2005, 05:59 PM
Have to change the brakes pronto. When brkaing from 70+ the whole car shakes, especially the rear end. Wife agrees, after having driven it, so I now have the go ahead for new alloys to fit over the Brembos that I have bought for the front and yet to fit. :smug:

However, I have been trying to find out what rear brakes discs and pads I can get to replace the standard ones. I called Need For Speed and they quoted me >£450 for replacement rear disks. That CAN'T be correct...can it? /help

According to Mitsi the standard ones cost about £75 a pair. Does anyone have part numbers and prices for Black Diamond/EBD/Rossini/National rear disks and pads for a late 2001 VR4 saloon?

Ta

Kieran
28-11-2005, 10:00 PM
....I called Need For Speed and they quoted me >£450 for replacement rear disks. That CAN'T be correct...can it? /help....

Errr..... Having just spent £540 on Discs, I can confirm that the rears are about double the fronts!!! /help /help

I've gone for Rossini Discs again, simply because they made a dramatic difference to Hordak - See HERE (http://www.hexcentric.com/cpdcatalogue/so_rossini_brakes.cfm) .

As I recall, the standard size fronts (but grooved and drilled) were about £150+VAT and the Rears were about £300ish + VAT!! :embarasse

I have a very understanding wife!!! :embarasse :embarasse /pan Mind you, I need to replace the discs anyway and I am not skimping on brakes!!! Just need to find a suitable pad to go with them..... But not DS2500s..... The Black Diamonds I've got on now (as an emergency) have better bite!! :rolleyes4

colVR4
28-11-2005, 10:22 PM
That is just crazy money!!! It is going in for a service on Thursday, so if the disks are within limits I think I will just get them skimmed for now until I can afford to upgrade.

Nick Mann
28-11-2005, 10:33 PM
I have some unwarped original discs in the garage. They are used, but not in bad condition.

Free to first person who wants them.

vampirej
28-11-2005, 10:36 PM
Don't they vibrate anyway since they are floated?? :rolleyes4/Hmmm

colVR4
28-11-2005, 10:38 PM
Floated? The brake disks aren't floated as far as I am aware

colVR4
28-11-2005, 10:39 PM
I have some unwarped original discs in the garage. They are used, but not in bad condition.

Free to first person who wants them.

Thanks for the offer Nick, I may take you up on that. I am going to wait and see what happens on Thursday with the service first, then I will have to make a decision.

vampirej
28-11-2005, 10:39 PM
When I took them out on Sat to change the pads, there was nothing to hold the discs apart from the caliper and the wheel...

Nick Mann
28-11-2005, 10:42 PM
The discs are held solidly in place by the wheel. The caliper does not hold them. Floating discs are quite fancy things, nothing like the VR-4's!

Sausage
28-11-2005, 11:05 PM
Carparts-direct.co.uk do the Rossinis for £296 plus vat for a pair of rears.

SGHOM
28-11-2005, 11:10 PM
The discs are held solidly in place by the wheel. The caliper does not hold them. Floating discs are quite fancy things, nothing like the VR-4's!

we do have floating discs Nick ! /yes only held on by the wheel nuts.

Kenneth
28-11-2005, 11:17 PM
we do have floating discs Nick ! /yes only held on by the wheel nuts.

No, we do NOT have floating disks. Floating disks are where the disk is PHYSICALLY a seperate piece of metal from the piece that secures it to the wheel/hub assembly.

if you cant seperate the disk rotor assembly into more than one piece, it is not floating.

Kieran
28-11-2005, 11:30 PM
Carparts-direct.co.uk do the Rossinis for £296 plus vat for a pair of rears.

And that's where I got them from! FittaPart (the Shop where Martin Moseley, their old-and-weird car expert works) is not far from me! :thumbsup:

If you're ever around there, pop in - He's never dawn a blank yet!! /yes