PDA

View Full Version : Boost Gauge fitting

dickytim
29-11-2005, 04:58 AM
Who can provide me a picture of where to t-piece the boost gauge into, if some one can provide me this then I will do a step by step for fitting an electronic boost gauge and air/fuel gauge.

Cheers Guys, I will be doing the job on Sat/Sun.

nutrok
29-11-2005, 08:16 AM
the air/fuel gauge is simple just pull out the 22 pin connector out of the ecu and splice into wire 6(top row6th from the left).

dickytim
29-11-2005, 09:28 AM
is that as you look at the plug on the wire side or the pin side ?

nutrok
29-11-2005, 10:14 AM
um wire side. it a reasonably sized white wire

dickytim
29-11-2005, 10:15 AM
you're a legend :)

That'll save me some time.

bernmc
29-11-2005, 11:19 AM
General opinion here seems to be that the pipe from the manifold to the BOV is easiest to get to- shouldn't be too difficult to follow from the BOV up :rolleyes4. The easiest on the EVO's seems to be the manifold to fuel-pressure regulator solenoid, so I'm going to have a look at that option when I get to doing my leggie. Spirit has done a boost-guage fitting how-to in the articles section of the members' area, but unfortunately its lost all its pics :(

dickytim
29-11-2005, 06:32 PM
ok cool will look at that, has anyone found that running it from any particular place gets a more accurate signal, I know Allbeitmine had some trouble with his giving a not very accurate reading.

Kenneth
29-11-2005, 08:16 PM
ok cool will look at that, has anyone found that running it from any particular place gets a more accurate signal, I know Allbeitmine had some trouble with his giving a not very accurate reading.

Mine is plumbed just off the outlet from the plenum chamber. I looked to me like that line feeds both the BOV and the wastegates.

I dont see how it would be inaccurate, so long as there isnt any leaks... i mean, directly of the plenum chamber is as good as you get yes?

bernmc
29-11-2005, 08:34 PM
Something I got when I was reading up on this stuff: Can;t really comment as I don;t know too much about it:

It is ideal to connect to a vacuum hose that goes directly to the intake manifold whenever a vacuum/pressure source is needed. Some hoses connected to solenoids or the throttle body may not read pressure all the time (or at all) and some may not read vacuum. Using any hoses with those characteristics will obviously give you very inaccurate readings...or none at all. The particular hose from the fuel pressure regulator to the bottom of the FPR solenoid reads vacuum and boost 24/7, so it's a prime candidate.

Spirit
30-11-2005, 02:46 AM
Spirit has done a boost-guage fitting how-to in the articles section of the members' area, but unfortunately its lost all its pics :(

If it helps I've just reloaded the pics :thumbsup:
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=110919#post110919

Bahama Dreamz
03-12-2005, 05:45 AM
Do you know where i could find the ecu in my 1993 galant? when i bought my car the guy before me had run lines and mounted an air/fuel guage but didnt connect the wire. I know you could usually connect the wire to the O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold but this is quite a task because i have custom work done there to connect my 3 inch exhaust piping. (yes THREE inch exhust front to back with nothin but a Aerospeed straight flow "muffler" at the end.)

dickytim
03-12-2005, 06:24 AM
mitzi seem to have a bad habbit of puting the ecu under the centre console usually under the heater core so when it ****s it self you destroy your ECU, the air fuel gauge was really quite simple to wire up, the BLUE wire on the o2 sensor BTW, the 2 black are the heater + and- the white is o2 - and the blue o2 +, the boost gauge thankfully is electronic with a seperately mounted sensor, I hate inner gaurds :)

OSiRiS
22-12-2005, 12:01 PM
When chosing an aftermarket boost gauge, I found there was none other that suited the gauges of a VR4 than this little beauty. Note the purple glow -standard on Super VR4 (I haven't changed anything dash light related)

Flash on
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/7811/dsc057477wm.jpg

Flash off
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/2451/dsc057486tc.jpg

Different angle
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/5121/dsc057496mi.jpg

Closeup of boost gauge
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/5906/dsc057500ia.jpg

This is where I tee'd the boost gauge into. Very easy to get to and gives an accurate reading of boost pressure within the plenum.
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/1234/dsc057519qg.jpg

dickytim
22-12-2005, 06:38 PM
Osiris, I have the latest version of these, the only negative comment that I have is that the needle is not bright enough in the sun light, I have a set of these for my brother for christmas for his RX7 but I don't know that they'll be very good for racing as the needle is difficult to see in the day at a quick glance. Nice pics tho :)

jaimz
22-12-2005, 09:16 PM
Hey dudes,
I did the same as Kenneth - just one of the small diameter vacuum hoses attached to the plenum.
Seems to work fine, although at idle my gauge tends to sit on about 15 mm in Hg until the car's warmed up some...

bradc
22-12-2005, 10:59 PM
Woah, that purple glow is cool, now why couldn't mitsi have made a blue glow on all cars?

I think a good place to put a boost gauge is in between the speedo and tacho, it isn't too easy to see from the outside, and it is normally a little bit darker there so it is easy to see in daylight as well.

dickytim
22-12-2005, 11:36 PM
I am making some pillar mount gauge pods for mine, when I get around to making it look good, the hot glue melted so it is attached with electrical tape, looks hori as. Will get it all bogged up and painted over the break now that I have found my sander.

OSiRiS
23-12-2005, 12:07 AM
Yea the reason why you can't really see them in the day is because of the glare on that gauge. I'm going to get an anti-glare sticker type thing to stick over it. Hopefully that would help.

dickytim
23-12-2005, 12:46 AM
Cool let me know how it works :)

the gauges seem accurate and look great, if I could get that fixed they'd be even better :)