PDA

View Full Version : sattelite navigation

SGHOM
11-09-2003, 09:48 PM
I've seen several legnum/galant VR4's on my travels recently, & have just been through ever picture posted on this site. I've yet to see one with the full sat nav screen ?? how many of you have got it apart from me ?? is it just fitted to legnums ?? & not galants ?? the last legnum I saw recently was identical to mine, [ year, milage, engine code, etc ] but did not have sat nav ?:Ponder:

BraindG
11-09-2003, 09:56 PM
you meaning the built in one?
ive got an aftermarket one.. but nah..
not sure actually, if someone knows this is handy for the articles section.. im in the middle of putting together the a buyers guide for the vr4's (hence the new links at the bottom right of each post)

so if anyone knows.. click the link once the info is here :D

Ultra VR-4
11-09-2003, 09:58 PM
satellite navigation communication thingy is standard with all japanese galant + legnum vr4's, but most of them are removed and replaced because, they are all in japanese!

SGHOM
11-09-2003, 10:15 PM
do you mean they remove the whole screen etc, & replace it ?? all the VR4's I've seen, just have the small screen that controls the air con, etc .everything in mine is touch screen !! the radio, CD, heater, air con, sat nav, tv, etc ?? :confused:

zedy1
11-09-2003, 10:20 PM
in think you might be able to connect the screen to a dvd player and an after market sat nav system

SGHOM
11-09-2003, 10:25 PM
I dont want the sat nav m8, cost too much to convert. but everything I've got is controlled from the screen . I was just wondering who'd got it ??? have you ?

Spirit
11-09-2003, 10:29 PM
:Cry1: :Cry1: Not me - boring old air con version one for me

Ultra VR-4
11-09-2003, 10:31 PM
Yes i have got it... like i said, they all come factory standard... unless they are replaced with those little screens with all the buttons. mines all in japanese as well, if you remove it, you have to change the lot. there are other posts related to this topic on the forum somewhere, and they are more in depth.

BraindG
11-09-2003, 10:34 PM
well.. if someones looking and finds it.. click [ Candidate for article/info? ] and send me the details.. also.. any chance i could get some pictures? for the buyers guide.. but im wondering to myself jsut now.. this isnt a NZ specific thing is it?

SGHOM
11-09-2003, 10:40 PM
I was wondering that myself. :Ponder: it was mentioned about removing it !!! surely not ?? I'm not interested in converting it, I just wondered how many owners [ UK ] had got it ??

Ultra VR-4
11-09-2003, 10:48 PM
Dont think you can convert it tho mate. Everyone i have talked to says you have to replace it. But I could be wrong, you could pioneer for vr4s worldwide.

zedy1
11-09-2003, 11:00 PM
i would have figured something out only if i had one on mine

SGHOM
11-09-2003, 11:05 PM
not sure if there is alot to figure out !!! I have a 6" TV screen which does everything !! [ if I want to find my way around tokyo !! ] I'll be interested to see at santa pod, who else has got one ??

jtfleming
11-09-2003, 11:09 PM
The big touch screen is not standard but an option in all models. Mine or my bros doesn't have it, makes it easier to replace the stereo. Lots seem to come with it though.:band:

zedy1
11-09-2003, 11:18 PM
darren has one. i meant figuring the av inputs on the screen. check if you have some sort of box in the boot

Darren
12-09-2003, 07:08 AM
Yip I've got one. The main gubbins is in the back under the left floor panel, you can get the cd out of it but it's not much use. I find that the air con bit is great for controlling it though. The radio/tape thingy is quite cool too.

SGHOM
12-09-2003, 02:12 PM
the MMC in my legnum.

Brind
12-09-2003, 04:32 PM
I think you'll find it is another FACTORY OPTION.

If you go into any main dealership and order a new car you can have anything installed from their parts list.
Hence the option for leather interior, HID lights etc from a particular manufacturer dealer.

Since cars in general are far cheaper to buy in Japan they have the option to choose many of the extras they can squeeze into their cars, since they have very strict MOT type tests their cars become virtually useless as it costs far too much money to keep them so they buy a new car.. but they obviously need to sell their existing cars and what better insentive for other car buyers than all the optional extras!

<-- Don't have one.

Legnum Boy
18-09-2003, 03:58 AM
I have one..... I also have four other CD's for the ROM unit.
Its a real shame that no-one has been able to get the sat-nav / language converted, as it would be a real bonus.
(...in this day and age, and it still cant be done????)

The GPS sensor works fine, as the co-ordinates displayed are correct, so it does just come down to the software driving it.

Oh well.... just wondering what happens when something goes wrong with it, now.... Big bill from Mitsu UK, no doubt...:(

Spader
30-09-2003, 07:38 AM
Just wait till Msoft brings out their maps thing. Cant remember the name of it but apparently it is supposed to be able to be used in sat nav systems. Not sure of the compatability though so it may not work.
Surely there will be a genius on the net somewhere who will figure it out and sort it

dybmapi
04-12-2003, 08:39 PM
Hi, i have a jap import with the Sat system. Of course, it is equipped only with the map of Japan, so it is difficult to use, although i have seen maps on cd-Rom sold for Germany. There should be a possibility to contact Mitsubishi UK, to know if they have released a map of UK. In that case, you just have to buy it, and replace in the boot the japan one.
As for Cds, if you do not (same case with me); have it in the boot, it is a problem, because the compatibility of street cd changers with the Mitsu system is very limited. I have been told that only two models can work, and if you order the Mitsu one from Japan, it can cost from 500 to 800 $.
Otherwise, you have to take everything away, at least the cassette part, but then there is a risk you can lose some of the Ac controls.
Some cars also have a TV antenna, and can watch TV on the sensitive screen. But not outside Japan, because the system works only in NTSC ! I have seen a car like that in Moscow. But i did not buy it because i prefered a leather seat one.
I will be researching the cd changer issue in a week or two, and will post the answer as soon as i get it.

By the way, with the cd changer, and the original 6 loudspeakers, the sound is really very convincing...

As for the controls in japanese, they are really rather straightforward, but if you have a specidic question, i can try to help.

Best,

Pierre

Darren
05-12-2003, 11:05 AM
There is a unit on the left hand side of the boot under the pull out floor panel. It has a cd player for the sat nav software and spare inputs.

krisby
27-08-2004, 06:38 AM
as said it is just an option, I was looking at two near identical 25ST legnums, one has the standard A/C unit and a CD/cassette player, my one has the LCD screen for all the gubbins.

The unit in the boot is only for the software, mine has the CD still in there, so I can navigate round japan, but instead I end up in the water, so the GPS works, just wrong country.

Will have to find if someone can convert to PAL for the TV though.

Grinder
27-08-2004, 09:44 AM
I've got one on my non vr4 legnum. Its called the MMCS. There is a english translated manual for it, if anyone has trouble working out the controls.

I am searching for an NTSC DVD player that outputs to RF (most output to composite video). In the translated owners manual it says you can connect it in and tune to it like you did your old pre-SCART VHS video in yer front room.

Nick Mann
27-08-2004, 09:45 AM
The system is MMCS.

Someone in the UK said they could convert it to PAL for about £2000!!

Do a search and see if you can find who it was.

Mel
06-09-2004, 08:30 PM
If the LCD is a NTSC type, Maplin do a PAL to NTSC converter for about £40- not too sure about the quality, but they are very nice about no questions asked returns within 14 days!!!

Grinder
06-09-2004, 08:53 PM
I think its NTSC to PAL, meaning signal is NTSC to display on a PAL monitor.

MMCS is an NTSC monitor, so you either need NTSC video device or a PAL device with a PAL TO NTSC converter!

Nice try, dude! ;)

lukas
16-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Hi I,m lukas I,m wery new member of this forum .I have same problem .Did you sorted ?if yes let mi now.

Grinder
17-05-2008, 09:44 AM
I never got the satnav maps for UK, but the system worked fine controlling the aircon, cd-changer and tape deck. A nice feature indeed, even without the satnav and tv.

Danj
17-05-2008, 10:37 AM
Ive got the MMCS in my Legnum - I did find on the net a company that were offering a conversion to free view tv for about 1500 quid - all theyre doing is plugging it in! Apparently there is no such thing as an English sat nav disc and it looks increasingly like there never will be!

lukas
17-05-2008, 08:34 PM
1500 for tv no way .I,m living in ireland and is just 4 tv chanels so thanks.bat this sat nav ,is neaded just disk?what you thinking about this ?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mitsubishi-Navigation-CD-Roms-V5-3_W0QQitemZ150247944998QQihZ005QQcategoryZ139824QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosti ng