PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: wanted

Big Ian
29-11-2005, 08:17 PM
not a Galant but my BMW 5 series :happy:

i was going to drop it -30mm but ended going for a mega -50mm drop, it's all getting fitted on thursday (spring's, shock's, poly bushes)

ive a work mate and his is dropped -30mm and sit's on 19" alloy's with no problem's and you can still see some day light between tyre and arch.
/Hmmm is 50mm (2") to much to drop it :inquisiti and should i try swap the spring's or "just go for it!" :leer: (-60mm are also available)

also booked it in today for a re-map and chip up-grade goes in for this in 2 week's :leer:

it's sitting like this just now
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/2130000-2130999/2130011_21_full.jpg

HJM
29-11-2005, 08:43 PM
Drop it 30m ..........

"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"

down a cliff into the ocean :joker:

richy rich
29-11-2005, 08:45 PM
/haz

Big Ian
29-11-2005, 08:46 PM
Drop it 30m ..........

"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"

down a cliff into the ocean :joker:

:thumbsup:

KiwiTT
29-11-2005, 08:50 PM
Save your money get a VR-4. Ditch the B#t@h

WildCards
29-11-2005, 09:17 PM
I'd say stick with 30.

However, you seem to go for the extravagant, so what the hell, go for 50. But what will the ride and handling be like? Or are you just after looks?

I-S
29-11-2005, 09:51 PM
Just take the springs out entirely.

Kenneth
29-11-2005, 10:01 PM
Just take the springs out entirely.

Agreed... and put in some air-bags, buy a hoodie and a cap. wear the hoodie over your cap and lean your drivers seat right back so your head is JUST visable over the steering wheel.

Then wheelspin at the lights and crash into the car in front because you were looking at the girls at the side of the road not the car in front.

But thats only my opinion ;)

lol.

WildCards
29-11-2005, 10:05 PM
Agreed... and put in some air-bags, buy a hoodie and a cap. wear the hoodie over your cap and lean your drivers seat right back so your head is JUST visable over the steering wheel.

Then wheelspin at the lights and crash into the car in front because you were looking at the girls at the side of the road not the car in front.

But thats only my opinion ;)

lol.

Harsh, but bl00dy funny!!

Big Ian
29-11-2005, 10:44 PM
/pan in a strange way..... :inquisiti i asked for them answer's :embarasse
but i got more response here than on a "BMW forum" /yes

Jane or Heath, that was witty :thumbsup:

richy rich, stop egging him/her on

KiwiTT, in time, ive only started playing with the BMW :leer:

wild card's, me....extravagant /Hmmm OK sometime's :scholar:

Isaac, :inquisiti

Kenneth, totaly aint my style /Steeringw dude

it look's as though dropping it -50 aint that much for a 5 series had a look at some on car domain :inquisiti one was -80mm and a few -60mm

Kenneth
29-11-2005, 10:51 PM
Kenneth, totaly aint my style /Steeringw dude

After meeting you, I would agree with you... just poking a bit of fun :thumbsup:

And after seeing your GLS, I am sure whatever you do will be in good taste :)

Kieran
29-11-2005, 10:53 PM
Based on my own experience -30mm is okay, takes away the 'slop' but leaves a tolerable ride behind. I wonder, especially with 18s and I presume standard shocks, if -50mm will unsettle it and make it a bit twitchy - especially on juddery corners...

And, can I be boring and say that you seem to be putting a lot towards a 'interim' car?? :inquisiti

The Vee
29-11-2005, 11:11 PM
Some very funny responses on this one! HJM's made me LOL :thumbsup:
But back on topic, for me, I think -30 would be enough looking at your pic. But at the end of the day, it's what you like that is the important bit.

bradc
30-11-2005, 07:06 AM
something that I think is quite important to get a matching gap at front and rear. There is a very very nice looking M5 (your shape) that parks next to me everyday, and his car has 245/35/18's on it. At both front and back there is ~10mm gap between the top of the tyres and the wheel arch.

How much do you need to drop it to get around 10mm gap all round? This guys M5 looks just right IMHO.

Wouter
30-11-2005, 09:41 AM
Save your money get a VR-4. Ditch the B#t@h

I'm with KiwiTT on this one!!

pezza
30-11-2005, 11:39 AM
I reckon 30 would be about right.. Its visually satisfying to maintain an equal gap around the alloy rim... :thumbsup:

Sometimes when the arch gets much closer to the top of the alloy than the gap on the sides.. it looks wrong?!? :inquisiti Like the 2nd gen 335i's that have been dropped too much with heaps of camber .... :embarasse

The wheels are a decent size too so it will look good at 30. Also as you are doin bushes and springs together, going too low may make the car seem as if its driving on bricks...YOu may lose that smooth but firm ride and it become like driving an old mini with race suspension... ALso doesnt anything over 30-40 normally requires a shortened shock as Kieran mentioned?

If you are goin for looks then maybe 50.. but I think for high speed handling and cornering the bushes alone will make huge difference with 30mm springs and should have no threat of bottoming out!

ramble over :D

pezza
30-11-2005, 11:44 AM
Just one more thing :D

Actually lookin at your car again, at the height it is now.. loox perfect.... The gap around the alloy itself is uniform..

up the power, sort the bushes stiffen the springs/uprated shocks and chuck it into corners and burn down those bumpy country roads worry free! :thumbsup:

Big Ian
30-11-2005, 07:44 PM
And, can I be boring and say that you seem to be putting a lot towards a 'interim' car?? :inquisiti

Kieran i can't leave any car i have alone, no matter how long i own it (which is another reason i can sell any car i own quite quick, most folk where i stay know me too well) but still all within budget :thumbsup: (not counting the re-map and chip...still waiting on a price for this)

after speaking to the mechanic who is doing this for me, ive decided to change the spring's to -35mm, he say's when they work on the traffic police E39's suspension they re-place the standard with the -35 drop, he also say's standard 5 series shock's can work with -60mm so my -50's would be fine, but as ive got 8.5" width alloy's then ther's a good chance of rubbing...he also think's they might have a spare set in their stock room ( :happy: cost price)