PDA

View Full Version : What does chipping the ECU change?

kitefighter
01-12-2005, 12:59 PM
What does it mean to have the car "chipped"?

Is this a recommended upgrade for the VR-4?

And has anyone done this to an E84A model?

WildCards
01-12-2005, 01:42 PM
To alter/enhance or change the ECU will change the fuelling and boost AFAIK which in turn improves performance and irons out any flat spots. Depending on the type to go for means you can plug monitoring equipment in and adjust manually the settings for what you want to use your car for.

Nick Mann
01-12-2005, 02:38 PM
On a VR-4 the chip usually controls fuelling and timing. Boost is normally controlled by a seperate controller. It is worth doing if you want to improve your car that bit more!

Wodjno
01-12-2005, 02:38 PM
What does it mean to have the car "chipped"?

Is this a recommended upgrade for the VR-4?

And has anyone done this to an E84A model?

If your after more power for not alot of money, just fit a boost controller. /yes More bang for your buck :evil2: Thats if you already haven't that is .. /Hmmm

kitefighter
01-12-2005, 03:17 PM
I've thought about a boost controller, but how does it work? And what are the negative effects?

Also, when it comes to chipping, is this something that you can buy off the shelf and a competent tuner can install, or are ECU upgrades specific to each model?

The type of VR-4 I own, (E84A) has hardly any bespoke tuning upgrades available.

Wodjno
01-12-2005, 06:04 PM
I've thought about a boost controller, but how does it work? And what are the negative effects?

Also, when it comes to chipping, is this something that you can buy off the shelf and a competent tuner can install, or are ECU upgrades specific to each model?

The type of VR-4 I own, (E84A) has hardly any bespoke tuning upgrades available.

An ECU Chip would cost in the region of £500. A boost controller will cost from £20 for a manual one or around the £300 mark for an electronic 1. Both will give you upgraded performance, although with the chip it's a permanent power increase unless you take it back to where you get it fitted to be removed. A boost controller does exactly what it says it controls boost, as little or as much as you want up to the limits of the fuelling of the ECU.. You should see roughly the same power increase from a boost controller as a chip, but the fuel economy may be a bit better with the chip, but that is also down to what chip and the skill of people tuning them.. Hope this helps..

Nick Mann
01-12-2005, 06:39 PM
If you can afford it, do both at the same time. This will see a good power increase with no other mods - with turbo'd engines possibly as much as 20% more.

WildCards
01-12-2005, 09:43 PM
If you can afford it, do both at the same time. This will see a good power increase with no other mods - with turbo'd engines possibly as much as 20% more.

So, for a grand you could have a 350hp motor? :rolleyes4

Excellent!