PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Speeding Ticket

tunes
12-09-2003, 05:55 AM
I know it is nothing to be proud of but if we can look back on past tickets and laugh at how stupid we were then atleast something positive has come from it all...

What's your biggest ticket for either speeding or just being an idiot in your car?

I have only had one ticket of $510 for doing 91 in a 50 zone. Would have been about 4 years ago now and i was heading home from a mates place at 2am on a Thursday. Only a few k's from home i thought i might put my foot down in an industrial area and ofcourse got snapped by a patrol car coming over a rise the other way. Lucky for me he caught me when he did as i was still accelerating and would have probably lost my license as a result. Haven't had a ticket since so must have learnt my lesson.

4me
12-09-2003, 06:04 AM
Not quite so bad.

$80 for 112 in a 100 zone (2k less and I wouldn't have been stopped).

I normally try to watch the speed, but was heading back to Kapiti from Taihape at 11:30pm. Overtook some cars and hit a big sweeping corner just north of Marton.

Was still slowing down from overtaking when a car coming the opposite direction lit up all red and blue ... bugger.

Likewise ... first and hopefully last ticket.

jtfleming
12-09-2003, 10:13 AM
Nap, no speeding tickets, just lucky I suppose...:lolice: :lolice: :lolice:

Pescha
12-09-2003, 09:46 PM
Ok I got a fine for $520. $120 doing 12kms over the speed limit (70km area) while the roadworks were being done for the expressway at Rangariri! $400 for being a learner driver without a licenced driver next to me! Feb 04 2003. I was in my last car a 1993 Nissan Pulsar 4 door sedan 1.5. I am glad to say I now have my restricted licence. I had my learners for near on 3 1/2 years lol... I just hate exams/tests etc. I've been driving since I was 19, now 31 lol....

This is my one and only fine!

Cheers,
Pescha!

P.S still paying the fine off $25 a week lol...

SGHOM
12-09-2003, 10:09 PM
I got "flashed " doing 36 mph, on a dual carriage way ! thought the limit was 40. :mad: & as they allow you 10% over the speed limit without getting flashed, It means I go a £60 fine & 3 points in my licence for doing 3 mph over the limit !!!:Cry1: :Cry1: thats less than walking pace !!

Brind
12-09-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by interlec
It means I go a £60 fine & 3 points in my licence for doing 3 mph over the limit

I guess I've been very lucky too, I'd be very annoyed if I got done for 3mph over the top! makes you understand why people set fire to cameras etc.

SGHOM
12-09-2003, 11:12 PM
I drive like an elderly statesman now !! 3 more points, & I ain't going to santa pod . :Cry1: or anywhere else for that matter !!

Brind
12-09-2003, 11:24 PM
You can drive down the pod at any speed you like and the only camera that will catch you will be the one that will give a printout you can brag to mates about!

zedy1
12-09-2003, 11:25 PM
i was lucky got caught doing 62mph on a 30mph zone 5 points and £160.00 fine on a diesel

Ultra VR-4
14-09-2003, 10:43 PM
I just got a ticket sent to me through the mail, was a speed camera. Was going 120kms down state highway 1 in parepareumu or somewhere down there... $120... in those new speed camera vans.. the red ones.

jtfleming
14-09-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Ultra VR-4
I just got a ticket sent to me through the mail, was a speed camera. Was going 120kms down state highway 1 in parepareumu or somewhere down there... $120... in those new speed camera vans.. the red ones.

Just when we get used to Camry wagons they use L300 vans, what a pain!!!:confused:

KiwiTT
15-09-2003, 12:14 AM
If you don't count speed cameras, which are just a form of revenue gathering.

zedy1
15-09-2003, 12:20 AM
got mflashed yesterday :D

zedy1
15-09-2003, 12:21 AM
feel sorry for prev keeper

Pescha
15-09-2003, 05:17 AM
Red L300 vans have been in the Waikato for nearly a year! Plus they normally have a ladder on top.... So beeeeeeeeeeee warned!

Cheers,
Pescha!

Darren
15-09-2003, 06:52 AM
Never been caught ! Once got flashed doing 120mph overtaking and the camera was on the wrong side, must've been a pretty funny mugshot. Me with a suprised look on my face and my passengers killing themselves laughing.

I tend to be very paranoid when speeding so spot anything coming up behind me, joining the road etc. If I do get caught it will be by bridge monkey or one hiding by the road side.

4me
15-09-2003, 09:59 AM
It means I go a £60 fine & 3 points in my licence for doing 3 mph over the limit !!!:Cry1: :Cry1: thats less than walking pace !!

Points ... Not nice ... thats one thing we don't have in NZ yet ... demerit points for camera tickets. Which is kind-of fair, although they are talking about bringing it in ... which would stop me ever loaning my car to anyone ever.

SGHOM
19-09-2003, 10:58 PM
My mate Mike got back from NZ a couple of weeks ago, & has just received in the post, a speeding ticket, !:D :D his hire car in Aukland, doing 37 in a 30 limit !!!! " that'll be 80 NZ$ please sir !"

Brind
19-09-2003, 11:18 PM
Is he gonna pay it?

We got a parking ticket years ago in Germany, needless to say we didn't pay it. :D wasn't a hire car though.

Spirit
19-09-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Brind
Is he gonna pay it?

We got a parking ticket years ago in Germany, needless to say we didn't pay it. :D wasn't a hire car though.

Funny you should mention that Mark - there are some guys with funny hats outside your door right now who have come to collect !

Spirit
19-09-2003, 11:38 PM
Here they are:

SGHOM
20-09-2003, 12:36 AM
dunno?? he may have to .:( he still has NZ passport !!:D :D

krisby
22-08-2004, 10:16 PM
After being in London for 10 years I'd got used to me motorbikes, never got a speeding ticket even though I was speeding 90% of the time, and was also used to driving my wifes Peugeot 106 with a 1.1 engine.

So being used to buzzy motors, when i got back to NZ last August I got a Diamante, so 4 days back in the country, cruising on the Ngatea straight talking to the wife, looked down and saw 145km/h, sheesh, I thought I was only crusing, lifted off, next thing car came over the bridge at the end of the straight, flicked on his lights, and as there were absolutely no other cars on the road at the time I knew it was me.

139kmh and a $400 fine, 50 points on me licence. Been mostly cautious since then. Though I did get camera fine earlier this year on my way up to the big day out, doing 111kmh in a 100 at aongatete, $80 fine I think.

But was gutted about the first one, I was just not used to driving such a smooth and quiet car, and I guess the size hides the speed too, whereas in blighty in the pug, when doing 70mph I knew I was doing 70mph.

wirdy
23-08-2004, 06:45 PM
Just one thing that confuses me. How do the NZ Police catch you when they are travelling in the opposite direction? Do they have some form of speed detection that works head-to-head?.

Maybe we're lucky in UK that unless you are VISIBLY going at a stupid speed in the opposite direction the rozzers won't pull you (or can't prove it). AFAIK Vascar etc. only works from behind.

Lurch
23-08-2004, 07:27 PM
They can tell what speed you are doing from the front and the back of the car. Plus if they're sitting on the side of the road with a speed gun d;)

ShadyNZer
25-08-2004, 07:28 AM
luckliy i havent been caught yet but i usually dont speed much unless some dude is tail gating or im about to over take, i drive to aucks from here heaps so im surprised i havent been pulled up yet coz i do get pulled i'll be goin for a big skate seeing as im only on my learners...ahh well when i get caught thats when i'll go for the restricted till then :D

Kyoshu
25-08-2004, 10:56 PM
They can't really fine you head to head. I've been ticketed 2x head to head and argued Doppler effect and got off both times.

The magic of writing letters of complaint.

Pete M
26-08-2004, 09:26 PM
Wow, Kyoshu, you've really got them sucked in there. Doppler effect is the very thing that allows the Hawk and other velocity sensing radars to work. You must be very persuasive. I'm sure they can and will fine you from a head-to-head reading. They have their own velocity input, and your one measured from the radar, do a bit of maths and there you are. Don't know how you got off that, let us all know what you said!

Certainly around town, after getting a 70km/h ticket on New Year's Day, this year I've concentrated on realigning my built in speed-feeling meter to 50km/h.
I hope that now, even when I'm not thinking about it, my speed will get closer to 50K than 70K. I just don't like giving the government any more money, so the speed had to come down. There are so many traffic lights around Christchurch that the journey times are almost the same, whatever speed you do. On the open road, 100 - 110 -120km/h seems to be comfortable and not too expensive for tickets.

Xeroid
27-08-2004, 03:49 AM
125 kph in 100 kph area, cost about $180 before they got serious about license and points. A few $80 speed camera over the years and then in 1 week a parking, and 2 speed cameras in 3 different cars !! Beat that for variety ! :stunned:

I still go quick but been lucky <crosses fingers > so far. :thumbsup:

And yep, I can verify they CAN book you with a head on moving detector/target violation, mate of mine has one to prove it. And you do lose points with camera's now. :sad3:

dickytim
27-08-2004, 10:36 AM
$150 for doing a U turn where there was a no U turn sign , but you have to do a U turn to get into the car wash. Right infront of the one car on the road at 6 am on a Sunday, and that car being an unmarked cop car. Now $180 because I couldn't be bothered paying it. That and a 61 in a 50 zone are my only ever fines.

wirdy
27-08-2004, 12:47 PM
Doppler effect is the very thing that allows the Hawk and other velocity sensing radars to work.

Yes. Pete beat me to that.

If you really wanted to argue / confuse them you could say that the speed differential measured is not a true figure unless they have a 3-beam Doppler transmitter/receiver. With single beam there an inbuilt inaccuracy due to the angular error between the two vehicles as they close on each other. (Unless the car is equipped with a laser range finder to offset this error).

This is like the aviation doppler navigation systems :rolleyes5 They need the 3 beams to calculate Groundspeed & Drift angle.

I think you may be onto a loser with this argument though :-D :-D :-D