PDA

View Full Version : Leaky rear

bensonsnuts
02-12-2005, 12:19 AM
Hiya , I have a 7g GT Sports hatch so I thought I'd ask for help on here , as I think some of you guys have the same car . It's not a popular import in the UK so I always struggle with any queries on the UK forum.
Anyway I have water accumulating in the boot and spare wheel well of my 7g.
I have had the car since March and when I bought it , it was a fresh import. I found water in the boot when I first bought the car , but after draining and drying it , I didn't suffer again .
I'd come to the conclusion the rear wiper bottle must be leaking somewhere and have always avoided using it.
Now winter rains are here , the boots filling up again and I wondered if anyone else has had this problem.
There's no obvious signs of water entry , but I figure it must be a faulty window seal or blocked drain.
If it's coming in the bodywork somewhere I'll have to pull all the interior panels off to try and find it .........

NAUSED
02-12-2005, 03:06 AM
i would think it would be your rear window wiper bottle that would probably be it but if on i ain't got a clue you would probably have to take it to some one to check it out.

jaimz
02-12-2005, 04:00 AM
Do you know if it's had any accident damage to the rear..?
Doesn't help you with solving the problem of course, but in my experience (two cars which have... er... accidentally sustained minor damage to the rear) even a minor ding to a rear quarter can stuff the water tightness - especially in hatchbacks.

bensonsnuts
02-12-2005, 02:12 PM
Thanks for answering .
I now don't think it can be the washer bottle or pipework as the car has been dry all summer and I never use the washer. Also there is no washer fluid smell.
As to damage you can never be certain with an import but it certainly looks straight and clean.
I've removed everthing carpets etc. from the floor area with no signs of entry.
The next step is to sit someone in the boot and close the hatch , then give it a good blast with a power wash to see if it can be traced.
After that I'm afraid it means removing all the interior panels to investigate further . I'm not looking forward to that , as in my experience the clips always become brittle and have a nasty habit of snapping.
Oh well ! I have a couple of weeks off coming up , so I'll try and find it.

ritch_w
02-12-2005, 03:23 PM
check the rubber seal for the hatch and the rear lights

what part of the rear is wet?

bensonsnuts
02-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Hard to tell as the carpet has been soaking a lot of it up. I have a large rubber bootliner on top of that and this time the water was both on top and underneath ?
Now I've left it all stripped out , I may be able to find out more /Steeringw

ritch_w
02-12-2005, 06:40 PM
lie in the boot and get someone to hose the back of the car and hopefully you'll see the leak

Xeroid
06-12-2005, 08:50 AM
If it's lying on top of the liner I'd suggest that the hatch seal at the top was damaged or folded over leaving a gap. Possibly not apparent when opened and inspected but occurs when hatch closes. I had a rear door with similar problem on another car. Seal wasn't fixed properly to the door edge so it moved as it closed.

Good luck

bensonsnuts
06-12-2005, 03:21 PM
Thanks . I have recently been wondering about this possibility . The hatch seal appears fine , but on opening it recently I have seen signs of water trapped at a small area halfway down the vertical seal . Hopefully this will show up when we test for watertightness.