PDA

View Full Version : VR$ gas conversions?

mdd37
02-12-2005, 02:07 PM
I am thinking about buying a Legnum estate. I would like to know if anyone has any experience of gas conversions for these cars.

strapping young lad
02-12-2005, 03:08 PM
depends on the value of the car and the mileage you want to cover and condition of the engine

if its going to cost more than the value or a significant amount then buy a more expensive car that isnt thirsty.
if its low mileage then forget it cos the cost of install is about a grand or two iirc.

I-S
02-12-2005, 03:17 PM
VR$

Possibly one of the most amusingly accurate typos I've seen in a while...

mdd37
02-12-2005, 04:41 PM
Glad you enjoyed my joke. Maybe some technical input might be more useful.

Kieran
02-12-2005, 05:35 PM
Glad you enjoyed my joke. Maybe some technical input might be more useful.

Right - face away from each other, walk ten paces and turn..../Handbag /Handbag

Your question has been asked many times. You can search through the forums by clicking the 'search' link at the top - searching for 'LPG' is a good start and you'll find a plethora of information... such as the thread I've linked below....

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8235&highlight=LPG

pezza
02-12-2005, 05:51 PM
I think Mo (Zedy1) has some knowledge here having driven and owned a couple of converted galants.... maybe drop him a PM?

There has not been much first hand info about converting a VR4 from what I remember ? :inquisiti

WildCards
02-12-2005, 06:12 PM
Tests i've seen done on the telly all say you lose a bit of power, but never seen it done on the VR4. As Kieran said, do a search, hope you find what your looking for.

Nick Mann
02-12-2005, 06:17 PM
Follow Kierans link. I have seen (not in the flesh) a VR4 for sale advertised as 'LPG converted..... .....recent engine overhaul' or some such. That is the only LPG VR4 I have heard of. Are the two things connected?

mdd37
03-12-2005, 05:12 PM
Thanks gents. You have confirmed my thoughts. Another question?
I have been told by a local garage that the VR4s are costly to service and have reliability problems with the transmissions. My experience with japanese cars has been that they are generally very reliable. Any thoughts?

ariddell
03-12-2005, 05:42 PM
I test drove an LPG converted VR4 that was advertised in autotrader for ages.

Thing was a complete basketcase, 113,000+ miles, supposedly a recplacement engine at some stage but couldnt verify the condition of it. No AYC lights showing, weird clunking noise from the front etc etc etc Couldn't even verify that the LPG system was working properly.

Needless to say i walked away quite quickly and if you are looking at the same one i would possibly recommend doing likewise....

WildCards
03-12-2005, 05:53 PM
I have been told by a local garage that the VR4s are costly to service and have reliability problems with the transmissions. My experience with japanese cars has been that they are generally very reliable. Any thoughts?

Only as costly as any other performance car really, 3,500 mile oil changes, regular ATF change, cambelt at 45K. The only weak point on these cars is the auto box AFAIK and the AYC system can be one to watch, what i mean by that is, if the fluids aren't changed regularly then they pop and cost a fortune to fix usually. Everyhting else appears to be straightforward.

Nick Mann
03-12-2005, 05:54 PM

The VR4 seems to be relatively reliable if you don't tweak it too much. Most big mechanical bills on here are for modified cars. The biggest gearbox problem appears to be the torque converter seal failing. Only a few quid for the seal, but a days labour to replace it.