PDA

View Full Version : FAO Kieran

ghanda
04-12-2005, 12:20 AM
"Unlike many, I think the TCL is a lifesaver and it would stay."

Please explain.

(At Bedford today, I was faster and smoother with it firmly switched off)

Kieran
10-12-2005, 02:07 AM
"Unlike many, I think the TCL is a lifesaver and it would stay."

Please explain.

(At Bedford today, I was faster and smoother with it firmly switched off)

To put this into context, Ariadne is the first car I've owned with more than 170bhp. And that takes some getting used to. I've said before that when we first got her, I was very intimidated by the (to me) colossal power underneath my right foot. And for the first few months, the TCL light never once lit.

However, as I've got more comfortable with the car, I've started to exploit it's power and general ability. Not always appropriately - and this, to me, is where the TCL plays it's part as a lifesaver; It's a very effective safety net for a driver like me who is inexperienced with a car such as a VR-4.

As soon as that little skiddy car on the dash lights has lit, even though the tyres and the AYC system have more to give, I know instantly that I'm pushing it - and generally speaking, that is neither appropriate nor safe on the daily slog to work and back. That's not to say that I rely on the TCL 'bailing me out'.... But the fact remains that whilst I develop my skill and learn to appreciate/respect the car's formidable abilty, I feel that TCL is a good way of preventing trouble before it starts.

Having said all of that - On track as you were, I think TCL undoubtedly gets in the way of a good racing technique - especially if you know the car. The first time I venture onto track with Ariadne, the TCL will remain on, untill I feel confident with the track and the car - then I will consider turning it off and enjoying the AYC-controlled power oversteer....

I think what I'm saying Gary is that after a 370bhp Golf, the Legnum must seem a little tame and it's well within your abilities to control it - But for those of us with less experience, TCL is a good way of preventing a possibly fatal mistake - Hence why I say it's a life saver.

ariddell
10-12-2005, 03:02 AM
Remind me never to leave the keys to my TVR lying around unattended in your presence in that case, try 300+bhp to the rear wheels in a fibreglass car with no ABS/TCL/AYC/Airbags/etc etc etc to help ya out.....

Or at least make sure you remember to wear brown pants to hide the evidence if you ever plan on stealing the keys! :thumbsup:

psbarham
10-12-2005, 10:47 AM
Remind me never to leave the keys to my TVR lying around unattended in your presence in that case, try 300+bhp to the rear wheels in a fibreglass car with no ABS/TCL/AYC/Airbags/etc etc etc to help ya out.....

Or at least make sure you remember to wear brown pants to hide the evidence if you ever plan on stealing the keys! :thumbsup:
tell me about it , i remember blagging ago in a Griffith 500 a few years ago , the only thing i can liken it to is my old motocross bike , it was so brutal , but so much fun , but I'm glad it was summer when i did drive it , every T junction turned into a smoke screen unless you had a 2 mile gap each way in which you could really trundle out on to the road and then put your foot down . but by far and away the best bit of it was the NOISE :drummer: :beerbang: :guitarist non of this namby pamby silenced bullsh!t it was raw and primeval . oh sod it i want another go

ghanda
10-12-2005, 03:05 PM
Great Answer Kieran - thanks: Just what I thought and totally concur.
In everyday road conditions, it's there to help, when on track when you know your car, it hinders.
:)

Wodjno
27-12-2005, 12:59 AM
It's a very effective safety net for a driver like me who is inexperienced with a car such as a VR-4.

Totally agree :embarasse

Kieran
27-12-2005, 01:03 AM

Sounds like there's a story here Glenn? Do tell!!/Hmmm

Wodjno
27-12-2005, 01:04 AM
Sounds like there's a story here Glenn? Do tell!!/Hmmm

Don't know what mean /Hmmm

Kieran
27-12-2005, 01:04 AM
Don't know what mean /Hmmm

C'mon.... I won't tell a soul!! ;)

SGHOM
27-12-2005, 01:05 AM

wel get you're a$$ off the couch, & get it on the track Glenn !! /yes /Steeringw
Or at least make it to Donington on thursday, & I'll take you round in mine ?? :rolleyes4 /help :evil2: :evil2:

Wodjno
27-12-2005, 01:06 AM
Or at least make it to Donington on thursday, & I'll take you round in mine ?? :rolleyes4 /help :evil2: :evil2:

Will i be impressed then Derek /Hmmm

SGHOM
27-12-2005, 01:08 AM
Will i be impressed then Derek /Hmmm

impressed ?? probably not. :embarasse scared ? maybe !! /help /yes

Wouter
27-12-2005, 08:47 AM
impressed ?? probably not. :embarasse scared ? maybe !! /help /yes

:evil2: WODJ can be in the passanger seat when I am driving!

richy rich
27-12-2005, 01:50 PM
:evil2: WODJ can be in the passanger seat when I am driving!
if you want to go round like your granny would :joker: :joker:

BraindG
27-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Reminds me of when i bought my first VR4.. Previously the most power i had was from a toyota carina II 1.6 16v. I was scared to death by the vr4 for 2 months atleast, i never floored it, scared id kill myself..

Took some getting used to, thats for sure. Now im making it go sideways of roundabouts..

Wodjno
27-12-2005, 07:44 PM
Reminds me of when i bought my first VR4.. Previously the most power i had was from a toyota carina II 1.6 16v. I was scared to death by the vr4 for 2 months atleast, i never floored it, scared id kill myself..

Took some getting used to, thats for sure. Now im making it go sideways of roundabouts..

Only Sideways :inquisiti What about Backwards /Hmmm