PDA

View Full Version : Speed Limiter

WildCards
05-12-2005, 04:56 PM
Does anyone know if you can retrofit a speed limiter to a car?

My mum has a Merc /pan and as part of the cruise control it gives the driver the ability to manually adjust the maximum speed the car will do. I think this is brilliant! She sets it at 30mph whenever she hits town and no matter how much she floors the accelerator, the car won't do more then 30. I've been thinking about whether this is a system that could be retrofitted to a car without it, after no joy through google i thought i'd ask you guys.

/help

michaeli
05-12-2005, 05:34 PM
2nd to google......

what's the world coming to???

See here (http://www.conrad-anderson.co.uk/cruisecontrols/cruisecontrols-models.htm)

Kieran
05-12-2005, 06:27 PM
2nd to google......

what's the world coming to???

See here (http://www.conrad-anderson.co.uk/cruisecontrols/cruisecontrols-models.htm)

Oh, good find Mike!! Been after cruise control for ages!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

WildCards
05-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Oh, good find Mike!! Been after cruise control for ages!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Indeed good find, but I'm sorry if it's me being blonde but i'm after a speed limiter. Something that i can drive as normal with, but not exceed a certain speed limit as set by me.

I mentioned cruise control because AFAIK the speed limiter only comes with cruise control.

Ta

Wouter
06-12-2005, 08:30 AM
You might find that the Speed limiter only comes as part of the cruise control module, you may want to fit the cruise control to gain the speed limiter......

WildCards
06-12-2005, 02:20 PM
You might find that the Speed limiter only comes as part of the cruise control module, you may want to fit the cruise control to gain the speed limiter......

That was what i was afraid of. But still can't find the speed limiter control to buy. Loads available for HGV's but not cars.

Kenneth
06-12-2005, 08:27 PM
I am thinking that if you do some data logging on the speed sensor, you may be able to make an electronic module that modifies the signal in a manner that allows you to make the car think it has reached the speed limiter before you get there.

dont know what the story is in the UK with the speed limiters though.

If the speed sensor is a voltage, you should be able to use a simple amplfier circuit with and rotary switch to set the speed limits.

maybe ill add it to my list of things to try one day :P

WildCards
06-12-2005, 10:55 PM
I am thinking that if you do some data logging on the speed sensor, you may be able to make an electronic module that modifies the signal in a manner that allows you to make the car think it has reached the speed limiter before you get there.

dont know what the story is in the UK with the speed limiters though.

If the speed sensor is a voltage, you should be able to use a simple amplfier circuit with and rotary switch to set the speed limits.

maybe ill add it to my list of things to try one day :P

err, yeah. I was thinking more along the lines of paying someone else to do it, due to me being a numpty with things like that.
I will however be mucho impressed if you manage to pull it off. :thumbsup: