PDA

View Full Version : clunking noise

ritch_w
06-12-2005, 04:16 PM
I'm getting a clunk noise from the front left, when reversing and turning out of my drive way - it clunks on the pavement lip....

my first thoughts are ball joints (apparently its already had the recall...) - whats the best way to check these????

any other suggestions???

ta
ritch

pezza
06-12-2005, 04:28 PM
I'm getting a clunk noise from the front left, when reversing and turning out of my drive way - it clunks on the pavement lip....

my first thoughts are ball joints (apparently its already had the recall...) - whats the best way to check these????

any other suggestions???

ta
ritch

Sounds like ball joints to me.... when was this done? I think a fewo here have had recurring problems even after the change. I have seen the guys at mistu check the play in the front wheel by rocking it towards and away from the brakes to feel for play / and to see how loose it is. Maybe compare near and offside front wheels?

Having said I also got a clunky clicky sound when moving from reverse to forward (and vice versa) This was actually to do with my brake pads/shoes moving slightly when changing direction. I used to hear it at very slow speed until I changed the pads...

Are brake pads new or old?

Cheers

P

ritch_w
06-12-2005, 05:03 PM
Are brake pads new or old?

Cheers

P

new - last week - will double check them - my foot isnt on the brakes tho when i hear the noise.....

Alscort
06-12-2005, 05:42 PM
I got this problem from my near side and its two of my ball joints it! (it really boils my p1ss) pardon my french! /lol

Does anyone know how much this should roughly cost :rolleyes4

ritch_w
06-12-2005, 05:54 PM
just had a look

brake pads - OK - no excess movement
ball joints - pronounced ok by neighbour mechanic
tightened all suspension bolts etc

the clunk only happens when on full lock so i dunno if may its the driveshaft or steering :inquisiti :inquisiti :inquisiti ???????

dunno what to do next - any ideas???

Alscort
06-12-2005, 05:59 PM
Try tighten the drive shaft? :smug: Steering rack /Hmmm Get a second opinion tho! /lol

Kieran
06-12-2005, 07:33 PM
the clunk only happens when on full lock so i dunno if may its the driveshaft or steering :inquisiti :inquisiti :inquisiti ???????

Sounds like classic CV joint clunk to me? /Hmmm

jakester
06-12-2005, 07:45 PM
I get a clunk when pulling away, but, only iff the handbrake has been applied, I just put it down to some sort of binding at the rear wheels nd don't apply the handbrake anymore.