PDA

View Full Version : Boost/vacuum lines..

bernmc
08-12-2005, 07:06 PM
Had a :inquisiti at the manifold today, trying to decide where to T in the boost guage pipes. I know that everyone seems to be using the line to the BOV, but this is a fiddly little barsteward to play with. I noticed these lines (pic below) coming out of the back of the manifold. THe one to the right (passenger/off side) is to the brake boost cylinder. the other one seems to run down to some sort of junction - not far from the turbo connection (you can see the pipe from the turbo just below). I was wondering exactly what it is, and whether this might be a suitable take off for measuring boost/vacuum - it's a lot easier to get at than the BOV line...?

Kieran
08-12-2005, 07:19 PM
Yeah, that's where I've taken my feed for my boost gauge from Bern - works a treat. :thumbsup:

Nick Mann
08-12-2005, 08:14 PM
My boost controller reads from there. And the Fuel Pressure Regulator. And the Aquamist. :rolleyes4

Kenneth
08-12-2005, 09:01 PM
I thought that line eventually fed the BOV and wastegates?

pezza
08-12-2005, 09:15 PM
My boost controller reads from there. And the Fuel Pressure Regulator. And the Aquamist. :rolleyes4

OK showoff! :D

My boost gauge reads from there too! :thumbsup:

bernmc
08-12-2005, 10:26 PM
In Spirit's article on fitting a boost guage (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1154), he uses a pipe that seems to come of the front of the manifold - can't quite make it out, but looks like it might be picking up before the throttle body (on the black plastic intake elbow), whereas the pipe in my pic is after the throttle body. Just wondering why he would have gone to all the trouble of having to remove the electrical cluster that's in the way etc etc to plumb into that line, when the pipe above is much easier to get at.....?

Kenneth
08-12-2005, 11:01 PM
In Spirit's article on fitting a boost guage (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1154), he uses a pipe that seems to come of the front of the manifold - can't quite make it out, but looks like it might be picking up before the throttle body (on the black plastic intake elbow), whereas the pipe in my pic is after the throttle body. Just wondering why he would have gone to all the trouble of having to remove the electrical cluster that's in the way etc etc to plumb into that line, when the pipe above is much easier to get at.....?

To be honest, I couln't figure that one out ethier. I would have thought that the closer to the plenum chamber the better...
/Hmmm unless its to avoid running a boost hose across directly above the turbo.

bernmc
09-12-2005, 12:15 AM
To be honest, I couln't figure that one out ethier. I would have thought that the closer to the plenum chamber the better...
/Hmmm unless its to avoid running a boost hose across directly above the turbo.
I don't think so because the path of the hose from the hole through the firewall still runs across the top of the turbo - it's cable-tied to the brake booster hose in SPirits pics...

Anyway, I think I'll try the hose in the pics then - looks nice and accessible, and easy enough to restore if I have any problems...

dickytim
09-12-2005, 01:04 AM
I have used the same pipe as circled for mine, as Kenny says the closer to the plenium the better, it seems accurate and you are not running lines across a hot engine. it seems accurate. the air/fuel however that is a whole new thread entirely.