PDA

View Full Version : French Car Domination

WildCards
09-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Pistonheads Story (http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=12644)

So now, Peugeot own Citroen and have a huge lead in diesel engine technology, Renault supply diesel engines to Nissan and may be buying Jaguar.

I'm tellin' yer, the French are up to something!

Wouter
09-12-2005, 09:57 PM
Pistonheads Story (http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=12644)

So now, Peugeot own Citroen and have a huge lead in diesel engine technology, Renault supply diesel engines to Nissan and may be buying Jaguar.

I'm tellin' yer, the French are up to something!

It's all Kieran's fault..... because of him they think people actually like French cars!

Kieran
09-12-2005, 11:12 PM
Nah - what it boils down to is the PSA(phecking sloppy automobiles) group have realised that less and less people are buying their tin-can claude-mobiles after repeated bad press regarding their iffy electrics and suspect reliability.

They are trying to buy themselves a lifeline whilst they try and find someone in France who can solder electrical connections WITHOUT causing short circuits, and someone who knows how to properly torque down bolts so that bits don't keep falling off. So far they've found no-one except a Japanese national and an ex-MG Rover worker, but their visas are about to run out.
I also hear that they are trying to employ a software programmer to cure the fault whereby the GPS units keep directing you to the nearest port in order to blockade it. This fault mainly affects their tractor units though.

Don't believe me? Check out the latest Top Gear reliability survey. Here's the link (click me) (http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/2005/11/stories/01/1.html) and here's the summary quote...

Of the top 20 models, 15 are built by Japanese manufacturers, while 11 of the bottom 20 are French. Build quality and customer care apparently remain major problems for the French PSA group, with Citroens and Peugeots scoring abysmally in just about every category but handling.

amsoil
10-12-2005, 12:17 AM
Don't know about leading in diesel engines. If you check the megan site or Parkewrs you will see that Renault have real problems and are apparently loosing 75 TDI engines a week under warranty, I'll stick to the VW/Seat/Ford 1.9TDI version stunning.

WildCards
14-12-2005, 11:25 AM
Don't know about leading in diesel engines. If you check the megan site or Parkewrs you will see that Renault have real problems and are apparently loosing 75 TDI engines a week under warranty, I'll stick to the VW/Seat/Ford 1.9TDI version stunning.

Peugeot did lead the way with their HDi technology and as a result many other companies paid them handsomely for various bits of it. Now they have nothing cus they sold it all. /pan

I agree though Kieran that Jap cars are better than most others, only Germany seems to ba able to offer decent build quality, but they lean more towards luxury and safety than out and out performance, which is why we like the Jap motors I guess.

I-S
14-12-2005, 02:13 PM
German car reliability is a myth... It's just that unlike renault in particular, when things go wrong with a german car the dealers sort it out.

My dad's 740iL has had two new radiators, new fan, new belts, new coil packs and a new instrument binnacle because of some sort of failure of the car. It has fewer miles on it than my galant does which other than routine maintenance has only needed two suspension arms (one was later the recall).