PDA

View Full Version : Ralliart Rear Box

Kieran
11-12-2005, 07:33 PM
Picked up this beaut from RichyRich yesterday. Good overall condition, just needed a clean and the cosmetic piece of stainless steel reattaching to it.

A couple of hours with steel wool, a few tacks with the MIG and a spot of metal polish and it looks good! :thumbsup:

Fitting was also relatively painless, though the three flange bolts on my exhaust weren't keen on shifting! :inquisiti Got two of them out using lots of WD40 and getting the socket on there REAL tight, but the third one wouldn't budge! :smash: /Grrr Ended up taking a hacksaw to the &%$£@# thing!

Anyway - once the old box was off, the new one was fitted in a Jiffy - as it's a VR-4 specific one, it used the same mounts and so lined up perfectly.

So - any difference?

Well, there's some. You can hear the 'throb' of the engine more - it brings out the cylinder pulses a bit, but it's not much louder than the standard box if at all. That's all good - It achieves soemthing rare with 'Sports' exhausts; it's certainly emits more 'focused' tone, but without it being any louder. You may notice some difference if the system was placed back to back against a standard one, but not sure how much... :inquisiti

If you rev the engine, then there is a noticeable difference. There's more of a 'rasp' to the exhaust note, but without that hollow boom that the Super Drager and the Fujitsubo Legalis-R Evolution have.

In car, you can hear a very slight difference at idle, in line with what you hear from outside. On part throttle or when cruising, there's no discernable difference with the standard box (no yucky drone at about 2500rpm here!). Put your foot down and if you've got the windows down, then you can hear a slightly harder, raspy edge to the exhaust, but windows up and again you struggle to tell the difference.

Verdict?

Well, I'm pleased. To me it's a good box - It does sound sportier than the standard unit, and in a good way; one concern I do have with sports exhausts is that a lot of them interpret 'sporty' as just 'very loud all of the time'. This isn't true of this unit.

I think most people would find it a bit frustrating, as it is a very quiet sports system, and it doesn't appear to affect performance in any way. But, if your standard box is on it's last legs and you fancy something a bit special but don't want everyone to know, then this could be worth considering. :thumbsup:

pezza
12-12-2005, 03:59 PM
Yuppers! Glad you like the box Kieran... I was very close to removing mine but glad I kept it. Ever since changing the mid section for stainless steel and a silencer the rear box emits a sound much quieter, more refined and less hollow/empty ...

Its suprisingly quiet at idle, considering its girth :lipsrseal but can still hear that nice rhythmic burble.

It does look great when cleaned and polished up too... Even more so from square on the rear esp if car is dark...

No pics to show off Kieran?

richy rich
12-12-2005, 11:08 PM
glad you like it k :thumbsup:

i didn't like it my self, as you heard on sat mine is a bit loader :evil2:

oh and i beat its gleaming :thumbsup:

Josh2xsv
13-12-2005, 04:38 AM
Sounds like definitely a good move if you after the low-profile stealth VR4... :evil2:

OSiRiS
22-12-2005, 11:41 AM
I have one which shipped standard on my Super VR4. Loving it compared to standard exhausts and I don't have a need to change it to get a better exhaust note :)

http://img497.imageshack.us/img497/8654/dsc011873tl.jpg
http://img497.imageshack.us/img497/4195/dsc011887fq.jpg