PDA

View Full Version : Which Brake Pads?

ariddell
12-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Guys,
What's the current opinion on best brake pads/best price to fit to the VR4? General road use, not going to be bothered about track use, i just want the friggin thing to stop a bit more quickly and the current standard ones need replaced anyway.

Cheers

Al

Wodjno
12-12-2005, 04:10 PM
Guys,
What's the current opinion on best brake pads/best price to fit to the VR4? General road use, not going to be bothered about track use, i just want the friggin thing to stop a bit more quickly and the current standard ones need replaced anyway.

Cheers

Al

If you not to hard on the brakes and are keeping the standard discs the i would go for EBC Greenstuffs.. Just my opinion, /yes i'm sure will have plenty more to follow.
/Hmmm

ghanda
12-12-2005, 04:12 PM
EBC Red ceramics offer slightly more bite and will last if you're not going to track them - Mine lasted 6000 miles including Nurburgring and Bedford, so I'd say 10K of normal driving.
They also don't have the noise issues associated with a Brembo/EBC pad set up.

Wodjno
12-12-2005, 04:15 PM
EBC Red ceramics offer slightly more bite and will last if you're not going to track them - Mine lasted 6000 miles including Nurburgring and Bedford, so I'd say 10K of normal driving.
They also don't have the noise issues associated with a Brembo/EBC pad set up.

Was this on standard discs ?

Roadrunner
12-12-2005, 04:25 PM
Ferodo DS2500 for me, but I don't like EBC stuff from past experience.

Wodjno
12-12-2005, 04:26 PM
Ferodo DS2500 for me, but I don't like EBC stuff from past experience.
Just out of interest ? :happy: What was your past experience of EBC's..
/Hmmm

ghanda
12-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Funny - really depends on the caliper/disc combo - sometimes EBC's will be fine (I was runing National 8-grooves) with no problems and other times they'll squeal like buggery (particularly with Brembos!).
I've now read so many good things about DS2500's on the MLR that'll I'm giveing them a go with the brembos/black diamond discs.

vampirej
12-12-2005, 05:12 PM
I'm sure I read the leaflet comes with the EBC, which stated that Greenstuff isn't suitable for our car...
I have recently gone for the EBC redstuff upgrade on the front only and I have noticed the difference it already made. However, a lot of people have recommended DS2500, they are slightly dearer than the redstuff @ £90 a pair.

Kieran
12-12-2005, 05:16 PM
Funnily, I have a low opinion of DS2500s - Nick put a set on Ariadne - one trackday and about 5000 miles later, the material had worn bare and crumbled!!

Swapped to black diamond predators as a temporary measure. Not great, but as good as the DS2500s (before they died).

Think it will be Redstuffs for me too.... 1.7 tonnes of car takes a lot of stopping!! :inquisiti

vampirej
12-12-2005, 05:19 PM
Picked up a set of RedStuff from http://www.performancebrakes.co.uk (http://www.performancebrakes.co.uk/) at £60 a pair and they offer 20% for all future purchases I think.

pezza
12-12-2005, 05:22 PM
Red stuff ceramics for me too! :thumbsup:

They have been top notch thus far....

ariddell
12-12-2005, 05:25 PM
Ok, sounds like the redstuffs are the way to go...

Will fire a set on the front initially and some standard ones on the back (if Gary still has the set he is selling, you have a PM :) if not I will go for redstuff all round) and see how they go.

Cheers

Al

I-S
12-12-2005, 05:26 PM
I've currently got BD predators and BD discs on the GLS. I have a set of Greenstuff that I won in a competition, so when the BDs wear out then they'll go on. Seeing as I got 18000 miles from a set of OEM pads that weren't new when I got the car, I don't know that that will be any time soon.

Wodjno
13-12-2005, 12:26 AM
Ok, sounds like the redstuffs are the way to go...

Will fire a set on the front initially and some standard ones on the back (if Gary still has the set he is selling, you have a PM :) if not I will go for redstuff all round) and see how they go.

Cheers

Al

I totally agree with the Red Stuff ceramics, but i'm not sure if these are best mated with standard discs.IIRR I remember Pezza having Red Stuffs mated with a certain disc and he was reporting he still had fade. I think these Pads on standard discs will shred the discs before the pads. I had Red Stuff Ceramics mated with EBC turbo groove discs and they were awesome and i never had fade. I don't drive like a pussy either. They just seemed to improve with the heat you put in them. Still trying to confirm from Ghanda whether he was running the Red Stuffs on standard discs or not ..
/Hmmm

Out of interest :inquisiti What set up are you running on your TVR ??

ghanda
13-12-2005, 12:42 AM
Sorry - I thought I replied in my last post!
Nope, upgraded everything in one go:
EBC Reds, National 8-groove discs, braided hoses and Motul RBF 600 fluid.

Wodjno
13-12-2005, 12:47 AM
Sorry - I thought I replied in my last post!
Nope, upgraded everything in one go:
EBC Reds, National 8-groove discs, braided hoses and Motul RBF 600 fluid.

Sorry Geezer .. :embarasse I missed your last post.. /pan

Roadrunner
13-12-2005, 09:41 AM
Just out of interest ? :happy: What was your past experience of EBC's..
/Hmmm
Put a set of EBC Reds (not the current ceramic type) on the front of my last car. Lasted a total of 1100 miles before the pad material started to part from the metal. They were completely hopeless from cold, worked well when really hot, but couldn't keep them hot enough to be effective. Lost all confidence in the brakes, so swapped the pads for DS2500s and have found them to be fine. I know others rave about the EBC Red ceramics, but I've no reason to try them ;)

ghanda
13-12-2005, 10:22 AM
EBC used to have a bad rep, agreed, but have made some major improvements in the pad material - I'd reccomend greens now for normal cars without hesitation. One advantage of the Greens is very little brake dust.
If you're upgrading the discs and bearing in mind the weight of the VR 4, the reds will be the better option.

Kieran
13-12-2005, 11:15 AM
You can't get Reds for the rears, can you.... Mind you, the rear axle probably doesn't warrant such material.

Can you get Greens for the rears?

Wodjno
13-12-2005, 11:17 AM
EBC used to have a bad rep, agreed, but have made some major improvements in the pad material - I'd reccomend greens now for normal cars without hesitation. One advantage of the Greens is very little brake dust.
If you're upgrading the discs and bearing in mind the weight of the VR 4, the reds will be the better option.

These are exactly my thoughts to .. Reckon the standard disc is to soft for Redstuffs, so go Green.. Like i said The Redstuff Ceramics mated with the EBC Turbogroove Discs were spot on..

ariddell
13-12-2005, 11:52 AM
Right, i knew this wouldn't be an easy one.....

I've gone with the reds for the moment for the fronts as i had a look at the discs and they probably don't have all that long left in them anyway so i will fire some EBC ones on there in the new year too. Apparently the greens aren't recommended for the vr4 due to the power/weight etc even on the standard discs but then that could just have been a sales pitch to get me to go for the reds, they did mention the formulation of them has been changed though since the introduction of the yellows so they are no longer as bad when cold.

Either way, chances are they'll be better than the current excuses for pads that are rapidly running out on the car at the moment... :)

The TVR is running BD 12 groove discs and pads but with the standard calipers which really could do with being beefed up.. Means going for bigger wheels though which i am a bit reluctant to do.

Fun Fun Fun....

Cheers

Al

vampirej
13-12-2005, 12:12 PM
You can't get Reds for the rears, can you.... Mind you, the rear axle probably doesn't warrant such material.

Can you get Greens for the rears?According to Performance Brakes, they could supply Red for rear, part number DP3738C, retailed at 65.80 per pair inc VAT.

ghanda
13-12-2005, 12:15 PM
...but they'd be absolutely no point.

vampirej
13-12-2005, 12:28 PM
...but they'd be absolutely no point.I have RedStuff fitted at the front recently, with standard discs and they are much better than standard pads. However, in saying that, I have not tried DS2500 so can't comment, but I'll definitely give them a try next. /yes

V6Dan
14-12-2005, 04:40 PM
I've got EBC Greenstuffs on my V6-24 with 3G disks (Brembo Castings) and they do squeal like a bar steward, but are absolutely superb at hauling the car up quickly. They stop squealing when they're warm as well, and they aren't as bad as they were when they first went on...

WildCards
13-01-2006, 08:44 PM
I have greenstuff on the bus, and they're great, but i do feel a disc upgrade would be wise for the next replacement.