PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Idle Problems version3.0

mpau009
13-12-2005, 05:29 AM
/wall :uhoh: Okay, iv taken the stepper motor out, cleaned it, adjusted the throttle cable, and poked and proded just about everything i can see, and taken the battery off.

Iv read a few posts, and it seems that a lot of people are having / have had this problem, what i would ask for, is someone to put together a checklist all in one place, with some photos so i can check off the typical things, and they could put it in the members section.

My problem is this,

- when you turn on the car, it revs to about 1500, then drops to 300/200, bounces a bit, then it rises to normal

...But, when you touch the gas, it drops off about 200, before picking up, and sounds really sick, then kind of shudders off.

After revving it to about 3000, it all settles down, and the car drives and idles as per.

Also, sometimes i get a high pitched belt squeal for a minute or two when the revs pick up.

I don't really know what half of the hoses and bits do under the hood, so i can't check if everything is in the right places, i guess there is a loose hose or something, but have no idea where to look

What is the deal, does anyone know?

Hopefully if someone is willing to put up some picks, like the stepper motor thread, it might help any people in the future.

Thanks in advance. mpau

dickytim
13-12-2005, 05:37 AM
dad had a similar problem with his subie, it was the TPS, replaced it and it went like new.

mpau009
13-12-2005, 09:14 AM
dad had a similar problem with his subie, it was the TPS, replaced it and it went like new.

Iv read a couple of others, and they said that it could be the TPS, or the Idle something something switch, but even with the detailed directions, i just can't seem to work out what the ...., does what, or what it looks like -thats why i am hoping someone will stick up a short check list of vacuum hoses, plugs and sensors, whatever, etc that i can check off, and match to the photos.

I can identify basic bits and bobs, i followed the stepper motor tutorial, but thats about all i have been able to find.

Anyone feeling motivated?

jakester
13-12-2005, 10:25 AM
Sorry to hear of your probs mate, I did have a very similar issue, but, all it took to cure mine was to clean the Idle control valve which was pretty sooted up.

ghanda
13-12-2005, 10:26 AM
Obvious checks:

Throttle idle stepper motor (when idling, the revs should rise if you turn your steering wheel, or switch on the air-con compressor)
Lamda (O2) Sensor (needs the voltages to be chaecked)
Dump Valve (a leaking OEM or VTA will cause issues)
All hoses (obviously)
MAF

That's about it I think. I thought I'd narrowed my problem of the revs dipping after a high speed run when coming to a standstill to the VTA dump valve. It's 99% better...but still there :(

-LegnumVR4-
13-12-2005, 11:09 AM
Do a Diagnose test, may point u in the right direction?

mpau009
18-12-2005, 05:33 AM
Do a Diagnose test, may point u in the right direction?

Thanks LegVR4,
The TPS came up as a fault, along with:
13: Intake air temp sensor
21: Engine Coolant sensor
22: Crank angle sensor
32: Vacuum sensor

Does anyone know how to fix some of these, or do i have to take it to mitsubishi???

Iv only had the VR4 for about a fortnight, and have been giving it crap, the problems started when i blew off the main intake hose where it joins the throttle body, so any advice on how to deal with these on the cheap would be good - i'm about to follow the TPS adjustment thread - would this be responsible for the other issues?

dickytim
18-12-2005, 05:40 AM
Was it brought thru a dealer ? if so they are obligated to fix it with in the first 30 days with no excess etc.

-LegnumVR4-
18-12-2005, 06:43 AM
Just a note, had my car in for a WOF and had them put it on the MUT-II. It came up with the following codes: 21, 26, 31 speed sensors (AYC faults) not what is listed in the members area: 21 Coolant, 26 BARO, 31 Knock sensor. No fault codes found in engine at all.

mpau009
18-12-2005, 06:59 AM
:scholar: Thanks all, iv had a fiddle with grandads WWII era multimeter, and despite the limited feedback from the analogue needle readout, i think iv fixed the problem. (i knew i spent the $20 membership for a reason) :chugchug:

When i blew off the intake pipe, it must have bumped the TPS, only marginally but, early indications seem that thats what was wrong with it. Its not perfect yet, but it doesn't stall when i touch the gas any more. I'll have a proper look once i get a digital multimeter

Iv cleared the faults, and i'll let you know if any of them come back.