PDA

View Full Version : Tyres?

Kieran
14-09-2003, 12:06 AM
Several bouts of, ahem, spirited driving:D have left my tyres looking a bit worse for wear.

At the moment, I've got Bridgestone Potenzas at each corner. I'm probably going to get 4 new tyres.
MyTyres offers the following choices - anybody got any thoughts?

Toyo RoadPro R610
Firestone Firehawk 700 Fuel Saver
Avon ZV1
Semperit Speed-Comfort
Kleber Dynaxer HP
Dunlop SP Sport 200
Pirelli P6000
Bridgestone Potenza RE88 INSERT INTO post VALUES (currently fitted)
Goodyear Eagle Ventura
Continental Premium Contact
Hankook Optimo K406

Brind
14-09-2003, 12:33 AM
I've heard good things about Toyo and Goodyear tyres..

I've got the Pirelli tyres you've listed and I've never found any problem with them, but then I'm not an over enthusiastic driver.
Many say they are noisy and wear funny, but then I've only heard this on higher tyre profile versions than what I've got.

Spirit
14-09-2003, 12:44 AM
Just fitted Goodyear Eagle F1's myself - consider Yokohama AVS-Sports too

Nick Mann
14-09-2003, 06:05 PM
I had P6000's all round INSERT INTO post VALUES (well, they would be!) on mine when I had it. I did approx 15,000 on them before they needed changing, and wasn't impressed with grip - especially on acceleration. I changed all 4, so went for the cheaper firestones INSERT INTO post VALUES (upgrading to 205 from 195 though) for £60 per tyre. I have now done almost 20,000 on these and I can say without hesitation that they are quieter, give a better ride and give more grip than the Pirellis did. :thumb:

My wheels are the standard 15", but I guess yours as standard are 14"?

Most of these lucky owners will be talking 17"+. :mad:

Anyway, :GL: with your search.

Dmac1969
14-09-2003, 06:50 PM
Ive never had a problem with Goodyears on any of my cars , and id also rate the Contis as well although it was the Sport Contact i had on my Octavia vRS.

Kieran
02-10-2003, 10:26 PM
:mad: Humph!! Well, it's Dunlop SP Sport 200s that are being fitted fo my car... Not by my choice, but it's a long story:INSERT INTO post VALUES (...

I'll post more details tomorrow, as my GLS is still with Variava's in Notts at the moment.... It's been for it's 90,000 mile service and needs a couple of bits doing:Cry1: - Chiefly the replacement of the INSERT INTO post VALUES (and I'm VERY ashamed to say this!) almost slick tyres on the front:eek:!! I thought the handling was getting a bit sloppy:D:D

Not through my driving I hasten to add... The tyres where almost phq'd when I brought the car, so It's not surprising really:rolleyes:

Nick Mann
05-10-2003, 12:34 PM
Just read how much you have spent in another thread.

:scared1:

Just think - a set of 17" rims with decent tyres could have cost less! :mad:

Still, hopefully with all that work, you will be smiling as she purrs like a kitten :D

Kieran
05-10-2003, 05:50 PM
Cheers Nick:) That bill was rather a shock, though when you break it down to the individual bits, it's not so bad - I've posted the breakdown in the original thread.

I've been down the 17inch wheel route:mad:. I'll start a new thread about that, as I've got some interesting information about how insurance works regarding modifications.

And yes - she is now quite happy. Having spent the day getting her paint ready for next weekend, she looks positively new! You'd be hard pressed to spot the 90,000 under her belt!:cool1:

PUDD
06-10-2003, 12:36 AM
yeah Kieran,wouldnt mind hearing bout that m8;)
im looking for 17"/18" wheels myself
see you at Ibis m8:D